UKC

single pitch climbing around fort william

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martincambs 21 May 2014
Hi all looking for some advice will be staying in fort william next week for friends birthday, planning on walking ben and having an enjoyable chilled week.
some of my friends have only climbed indoors and would like to try outside can anyone advise me of single pitch climbing around the area or is it all multi-pitch? also suitable for group of about 8 with 2 of us looking after them any advice greatly appreciated
 James90 21 May 2014
In reply to martincambs:

Poldubh in glen nevis area might be a good bet...

if the midges aren't to bad
 AlH 21 May 2014
In reply to martincambs:

Warning the midges are out in Lochaber. Unless its windy and bright i wouldn't go to Polldubh. But unless you are willing to drive the hour to Kingussie Crag you'll have to make do with Polldubh's meagre single pitch offerings. In terms of beginners crags the micro crag above Pinnacle Ridge is very polished and needs a little care moving around the top if its damp but offers several short easy lines. Tear on SW Buttress has been climbed so often by groups in big boots that you can practically see you reflection in the holds on the bottom half and folk often set a rope on the rhs of the crag too. There are the odd route in other parts of the Glen but no other spots where you could hope to occupy half a dozen adults without much walking between routes. For beginners climbing its not the greatest single pitch venue- more a multi pitch heaven.
And mind the midge warning!
andyathome 21 May 2014
In reply to AlH:

> Warning the midges are out in Lochaber. Unless its windy and bright i wouldn't go to Polldubh. But unless you are willing to drive the hour to Kingussie Crag you'll have to make do with Polldubh's meagre single pitch offerings. In terms of beginners crags the micro crag above Pinnacle Ridge is very polished and needs a little care moving around the top if its damp but offers several short easy lines. Tear on SW Buttress has been climbed so often by groups in big boots that you can practically see you reflection in the holds on the bottom half and folk often set a rope on the rhs of the crag too. There are the odd route in other parts of the Glen but no other spots where you could hope to occupy half a dozen adults without much walking between routes. For beginners climbing its not the greatest single pitch venue- more a multi pitch heaven.

> And mind the midge warning!

Good response, Alan. But as I was considering a week up your way bouldering, soloing and walking it is a bit of a pisser

Andy
OP martincambs 22 May 2014
In reply to martincambs:

ok guys thanks for the advice looks like the midges will play a big part in our choices! looking forward to a nice few days in scotland cheers
 Mark Bull 22 May 2014
In reply to martincambs:

Onich Slabs is a reasonable venue for a group top-roping session: http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=9599
Can be midgy, though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...