UKC

Suggestion for UKC logbooks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Will Hunt 21 May 2014
Just an idea for a useful functionality of the UKC logbooks.
Certain crags have a particular season or stay wet/dirty over the winter months. I'm thinking of certain high mountain/north facing/low traffic/seeping prone crags, not your Stanages or your Almscliffs.
Would it be possible to create a functionality for the logbooks that allowed a user to look at a crag and report the most recently ticked climbs there, the date they were ticked, and any logbook comments for the ascent.
I can see this being incredibly useful. Find out what climbs at Guisecliffe are most likely to be in nick. When is rock climbing back on at Cloggy? When has Kilnsey stopped seeping? What lines at Malham are dry? etc etc etc.
Thoughts?
 The Ivanator 21 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

I suggested something similar a couple of years ago - something similar to the UK Winter Conditions page would be really useful, or just most recent ascents (routes and dates) as a list when you click on the crag page. Once you have that info. you can click individual routes and look for comments I guess.
 Si dH 21 May 2014
In reply to The Ivanator:

Agree. I sometimes search a crag's routes manually for this info but it'd be much better if it was just there on the crag page.
OP Will Hunt 22 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

No more interest than this? If we mention religion or ukip will that generate more hype?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 22 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

"The Team" are away in Mallorca until the week-end, flag it up again on Monday and you might get a response then,

Chris
 ianlaw 22 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

Farage is a dick! There, you got my interest...

Yes, agreed, that would be useful to see recent ascents and then be able to see what people were saying about the crag condition.
 Mark Collins 22 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

I like it.
 Bob 22 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

I've asked for this a couple of times over the years. The nearest we have so far is the Winter conditions page which shows ascents in the last five days, so it is possible. Actually it's very easy, something like: "SELECT * FROM routes WHERE crag=? AND today - logged_ascents.date < 6 LIMIT 20" Would give you up to the last twenty logged ascents from the indicated crag from the last five days. Obviously table names will be different and it's likely to involve joins and the like but you get the idea.
 Adam Lincoln 22 May 2014
In reply to Bob:

> Actually it's very easy, something like: "SELECT * FROM routes WHERE crag=? AND today - logged_ascents.date < 6 LIMIT 20" Would give you up to the last twenty logged ascents from the indicated crag from the last five days. Obviously table names will be different and it's likely to involve joins and the like but you get the idea.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope, the 'so called' 'developer' seems to think adding a 'ground up' field to style of ascent was time consuming.
 StuLade 22 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

I was just thinking how good this would be earlier today, get it done!
 Tom Last 22 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

Have also mentioned the same over the years, it's a bloody good idea. Similarly useful to the winter conditions page but for a far greater number of users, I'd have thought.
 Os_878 22 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

Like this idea, it would make some of my plans easier
 Simon Caldwell 22 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

> No more interest than this?

We've been suggesting something along these lines for many years. Unfortunately, the UKC powers that be are only interested in developing new things - getting old things working properly is bottom of the list.
 Ramblin dave 22 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

Agree, that'd be great.

Something slightly more speculative that I'd wondered about is having some sort of climbs-by-season graph for any given crag, route or collection of routes, so you can get an idea of when the optimal season for a given crag is likely to be...
 aln 22 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

> No more interest than this? If we mention religion or ukip will that generate more hype?

How about pedantry, that gets people going?
"your Stanages or Almscliffes" How many Stanages or Almscliffes are there? One of each.
 Scott Quinn 23 May 2014
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Ground up needs adding! I was having the discussion with a friend the other day
 JayK 23 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

The recent comments box on ROCKFAX is really useful to see most recent ascents. It's great to know whether a route has lost a few holds and that it now climbs at a different grade to it's original state. Can sometimes feel like a wasted trip driving from Brum without the local knowledge of what's changed at crags.
 Mark Collins 23 May 2014
In reply to Bob:
> (In reply to Will Hunt)
>
> I've asked for this a couple of times over the years. The nearest we have so far is the Winter conditions page which shows ascents in the last five days, so it is possible. Actually it's very easy, something like: "SELECT * FROM routes WHERE crag=? AND today - logged_ascents.date < 6 LIMIT 20" Would give you up to the last twenty logged ascents from the indicated crag from the last five days. Obviously table names will be different and it's likely to involve joins and the like but you get the idea.

Yeah, just give us read only SQL access and we'll make our own wierd and wondeful queries, to find how often Right Uncounquerable is climbed in the rain and so on.
 cwarby 23 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

What would also be useful is linking the replies about conditions such as the latest rockfall/loose block/birds nest into the crag entry. I see great information (e.g. Rick Sewards on my local Wye valley issues - thanks Rick), but if I didn't spot the thread I wouldn't see the info that could be useful. Perhaps Moderators could/should have an input.
Chris
 bpmclimb 23 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

I've brought this up on this forum on more than one occasion. I would very much like to be able to see most recent ascents at a particular crag, not so much to check condition of climbs, but for a number of other reasons.
 Misha 23 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:
Yes good idea.

LakesWinter 23 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

Ground up needs adding!
 LeeWood 23 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

Its one thing for UKC to add extra functionality, quite another to have folks use it. I mean, currently the proportion of folk who add to the logbooks is not 100%, of which, I would guess less than 50% contribute useful records ie. comment and star ratings. The value of a tick alone is pretty limited to others.
 bpmclimb 23 May 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

> Its one thing for UKC to add extra functionality, quite another to have folks use it. I mean, currently the proportion of folk who add to the logbooks is not 100%, of which, I would guess less than 50% contribute useful records ie. comment and star ratings. The value of a tick alone is pretty limited to others.

You may be right with the stats; I wouldn't like to say. However, if I were able to look at recent ascents for particular crags, I would probably do so several times a week - FWIW.
In reply to Will Hunt:

In reply to Will Hunt:

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in replying to this. As Chris mentioned, I've been away in Mallorca last week.

I'm currently working on integration of the UKC logbooks with the Rockfax Guidebook App but the backend changes for this will enable a lot more improvements to the Logbook system.

Queued for development is a much improved UI, destination articles integration, latest ticked climbs at crags, recent top ascents page to show winter routes, the addition of the Ground up style as well as a few others that will come to light later.

Cheers.
 Mark Collins 27 May 2014
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Can we have aid climbing in the top ascents page please, and the other disciplines you offer in the logbook?
In reply to Mark Collins:

Yeah, no problem. I'm going to make it configurable.
 Mark Collins 28 May 2014

Great, thanks.
 Nick Russell 28 May 2014

On a related note, how about a few more options on the "My graphs" page? For example, being able to exclude repeats, or just look at climbs led, or exclude dog/dnf from some of the stats?

I know I can do all this by downloading the csv and doing my own analysis but I suspect a lot of people would be interested to see some of these things but can't be bothered to do it themselves!
 The Ivanator 28 May 2014

Changes sound good, looking forward to them. Not meaning to bombard you with additional requests, but could DWS be added as a style of ascent? It is a totally different form of climbing to other soloing and would be good if this was acknowledged.
In reply to The Ivanator:

That is already on the TODO list as well, thanks for the feedback.
In reply to Nick Russell:

I'll see what I can do with it. I'd like to improve that page a lot but I don't think I'm going to have a great deal of time available.
 Nick Russell 29 May 2014

Cool, I can understand it's not a high priority!
 Tyler 29 May 2014

One thing that would be useful would be the ability of those of us who have our logbook hidden to make some of our comments visible. I often write useful stuff about a route I've done but it is not shared with anyone other than my partners whereas I'm sure lots of people come on here looking beta

In reply to Tyler:

> One thing that would be useful would be the ability of those of us who have our logbook hidden to make some of our comments visible. I often write useful stuff about a route I've done but it is not shared with anyone other than my partners whereas I'm sure lots of people come on here looking beta

We intend to address this problem by splitting the comments into two comment fields - useful route comments, and personal ascent observations. It is likely that there will be legacy comments in the wrong fields when we make this separation, but as time goes by these should become less significant.

Alan
 kwoods 29 May 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> We intend to address this problem by splitting the comments into two comment fields - useful route comments, and personal ascent observations. It is likely that there will be legacy comments in the wrong fields when we make this separation, but as time goes by these should become less significant.

Thats great to hear. I'm using my diary for this so my entries for a long headpoint are all over the place and I don't want to beta spray anyone checking the logbook.
 Tyler 29 May 2014
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Excellent, great minds, eh?! Does that mean all legacy comments will be automatically moved into one of the two types (I'm assuming you won't be employing someone to read and sort all hidden comments!), if so which and will there be an easy way for users to move theirs between the two?
 deacondeacon 29 May 2014
In reply to Tyler:

Tyler, can I ask why you hide your logbook? I've never really understood why it's an option.
Unless you bunk off work to go climbing
 Tyler 29 May 2014
In reply to deacondeacon:

It's because I bunk off work to go climbing
 deacondeacon 29 May 2014
In reply to Tyler:

Haha!
In reply to Tyler:

> Excellent, great minds, eh?! Does that mean all legacy comments will be automatically moved into one of the two types (I'm assuming you won't be employing someone to read and sort all hidden comments!), if so which and will there be an easy way for users to move theirs between the two?

I doubt that we will be able to do this initially. Routes that are on the Rockfax site already have 'information' comments with them and it is this field we will be using for the new useful route comments field. For routes not in a Rockfax (or without comments on the Rf site) this field will just be empty initially.

As we progress then we may be able to install a system for people to switch the comments. We haven't yet discussed this though.

Alan
 Mr Fuller 29 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

While on the subject of requests, any chance that all peaks that you have climbed can go on a map? Viewing all routes is one thing, but being able to view peaks which you have climbed would be great. I know the baggers would be interested in seeing which peaks they have climbed stuck on a map and which ones they haven't, especially things like the Munros.
 Ander 29 May 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

The ability to link a photo with a logbook record.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...