UKC

Finger injury

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CMcBain 22 May 2014

Was climbing at the wall earlier, and heard a noticeable 'crack' in my ring finger (on the first segment from my palm - A2 pulley?). I stopped climbing right after and have came home and soaked it in some cold water for awhile. It only feels painful if I push the pulley or try and crimp at the moment, I suspect i'll wake up tomorrow and find out the full extent of the injury!

Anyone experienced similar? Best solution? How long a layoff did you have to take?

Cheers
Post edited at 17:11
 MischaHY 22 May 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

Sounds like A2. If it doesn't swell then it's only a grade 1, take a full weeks rest followed by 6 weeks of steadily increasing climbing difficulty. Get yourself a stress ball and squeeze it all the time to keep blood flowing to your tendon. After 8 weeks you should be feeling fairly recovered but it will continue to hurt/twinge when under high stress for some considerable time, up to a year or more.
OP CMcBain 22 May 2014
In reply to MischaHY:

Hmm cheers for the info, it feels alright at the moment and I still have full ROM with pain only when clenching my fist or hyperextending the joint so hoping it's not a full rupture of the tendon or anything. Have had various tweaks before but was slightly concerned as thats the first time i've heard an audible crack.

Think ill be steering away from hard crimping and stick to trad over the summer!

Any other info/advice would be greatly appreciated!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...