UKC

Llanwyrtd Wells - Rock tips?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I shall be in Llanwyrtd Wells next weekend.I don't think there is acres of rock but I understand what's there is mostly sport and pegs? Does anyone have any idea of what's needed ie just sport gear or some pro? What kind of anchors? etc

Advice appreciated!
 Dave Williams 24 May 2014
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Be prepared for an 'interesting' time. The following quote, (written from personal experience), is from Summit Post and I couldn't have said it better myself:

"The climbing is centred on the crags and quarries surrounding the Llyn Brianne Dam. The rock is a schisty mudstone, which ranges in quality from okay to abysmal. Most of the routes have been bolted and you’ll thank God that they are."

All the routes are equipped with pitons or bolts but they're sportingly spaced on a number of routes so you also need to carry a full rack of wires and cams. The routes have trad grades as they're not sport routes. Overall the rock quality is, er, a bit 'suspect'. Bolts are used where there's no other gear; they're resined-in but have no UIAA stamp of approval. Apparently they "should hold a leader fall".

Your road map to 'paradise' awaits: http://www.kilimanjaro.cc/towyclimbs/brianne.htm

Have fun!

Dave
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Sounds like I'll be Mr Second for the weekend!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...