UKC

anyone use gym rings to train?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 frano81 26 May 2014
has anyone any experience with these? went to aw Sheffield and they had some, i had a little mess about on them, and thought they'd be good for core strength?
 MischaHY 26 May 2014
In reply to frano81:

Ace training if you do it right.
 lost1977 26 May 2014
In reply to frano81:

really good for overall shoulder health
 Dandan 26 May 2014
In reply to frano81:

Aside from everyone thinking I've installed some kind of sex swing bracket in my spare room, they are a great exercise tool.
Plus it's really easy to put the sex swing back up afterwards.
 Lurking Dave 27 May 2014
In reply to Dandan:

As above very good for a variety of shoulder exercises. Get used alot in Crossfit so if you are in need of exercise ideas that would be a good place to start.
Jen-na-far 27 May 2014
In reply to frano81:

Yep, we have them in our local bouldering gym, great for core, shoulders, I do lock-offs on them, so instead of an iron cross which I can't do, I lock off with one arm and extend the other straight. Also pull-ups with your legs out straight (so your body is in an L shape) is good too. I've been told muscle-ups can be very stressful for the wrists so not doing them.
 krank 27 May 2014
In reply to frano81:

rings are excellent but stay away from anything crossfit, its nonsense and dangerous. check this site out, http://www.gymnasticbodies.com all you need to know about safe ring training
 planetmarshall 27 May 2014
In reply to krank:

> rings are excellent but stay away from anything crossfit, its nonsense and dangerous.

Bit of an all-encompassing blanket remark. Any exercise can be dangerous if you don't do it properly.

Lurking Dave 27 May 2014
In reply to krank:

Nonsense and dangerous - whatever, see other thread http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=588140

In reply to OP:

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/44_06_GotRings_NowWhat.pdf

Cheers
LD
 krank 27 May 2014
In reply to planetmarshall:

i have never seen crossfit folk use anything close to good form in there routines. I have seen people kill themselves at CF events due to poor form and performing exercises when tired and dropping a barbel on themselves.

yes crossfit works but its dangerous and uncontrolled. Rings are an extremely intense piece of kit and without the nessasary conditioning you will definately break yourself, crossfit will not provide this.
 krank 27 May 2014
In reply to Lurking Dave:

theres nothing in that thread to look at
In reply to krank:

> I have seen people kill themselves at CF events due to poor form and performing exercises when tired and dropping a barbel on themselves.

You'd think something like that would be in the news...
 krank 27 May 2014

if you dont believe me thats fine
In reply to krank:

> if you dont believe me thats fine

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no one has ever died at a CrossFit event from dropping a barbell on themselves.

Back to the OP, Rings are just apparatus. What you get from them depends on the exercise, but they can be difficult to use. Dips for example are considerably more difficult on rings than they are on static bars ( for obvious reasons, but you might be surprised just how much more difficult ).

As with any new technical exercise it's a good idea to get proper coaching, but assuming that you're not going to be attempting an Iron Cross, it's difficult to imagine how you could injure yourself with them.

Andrew.
 krank 27 May 2014

there was a video on the Joe Rogan podcast of it happening, i presume it was at an american event.

If you dont see how the rings are dangerous, except in an iron cross, you dont know much about training on them and shouldnt be giving advise about them.
In reply to krank:

Sure it can be dangerous, but it's probably the least dangerous apparatus at a climbing wall. Maybe there's a podcast of someone getting their head stuck in one at a CrossFit event after getting tired, who knows.

The only advice I gave was to seek proper coaching - which is pretty sound whatever you may think of CrossFit. So yes, rings - go for it, and enjoy.
 Lurking Dave 27 May 2014
In reply to krank:

Not to piss on your parade... "Joe Rogan Experience podcast is a long form conversation hosted by comedian, UFC color commentator, and actor" hardly a reliable source.

LD
 MischaHY 28 May 2014
In reply to frano81:

One thing to bear in mind is that whilst it may be good training, the best possible training for climbing is, you guessed it, climbing. It's a good idea to ask yourself whether you are really at the level where serious specific training is required in order to get stronger in a certain capacity - otherwise you will be much better served by random practice i.e. bouldering/routes.
 Shani 28 May 2014
In reply to MischaHY:

> One thing to bear in mind is that whilst it may be good training, the best possible training for climbing is, you guessed it, climbing. It's a good idea to ask yourself whether you are really at the level where serious specific training is required in order to get stronger in a certain capacity - otherwise you will be much better served by random practice i.e. bouldering/routes.

Good point. However, rings are of great help as supplementary training. In particular, rings can offer is a means to correct what is commonly termed 'muscle imbalance' particularly in and around the shoulders.

Front levers and back levers, planches and muscle-ups along with skin the cats will do much to promote strength and integrity throughout the shoulder girdle and down through the back.
 Lurking Dave 29 May 2014
In reply to Shani:

Agreed + the instability makes dips, press ups far harder as small stabilisation muscles need to work that much harder.

Infact reading this maybe ALL non climbing training should be ring based

Cheers
LD
 planetmarshall 29 May 2014
In reply to MischaHY:

> One thing to bear in mind is that whilst it may be good training, the best possible training for climbing is, you guessed it, climbing. It's a good idea to ask yourself whether you are really at the level where serious specific training is required in order to get stronger in a certain capacity - otherwise you will be much better served by random practice i.e. bouldering/routes.

Is the whole 'the best training for climbing is climbing' thing not a bit of a debunked myth these days? I think anyone can benefit from a bit of structured training no matter what their grade.
 abarro81 29 May 2014
In reply to frano81:

Structured training via climbing, yes, supplementary work not so much.
 Shani 29 May 2014

> Is the whole 'the best training for climbing is climbing' thing not a bit of a debunked myth these days? I think anyone can benefit from a bit of structured training no matter what their grade.

In a word - 'specificity'. You can still structure your training based on 'real' climbing. Don't forget that it is a continuum with 4x4s on a bouldering wall being toward one end of the spectrum and 'head training' (general grace under pressure) that onsighting routes provides, at the other.

Anecdotally, Ondra, Sharma and Hannold all seem to spend less times on the campus rungs than Ben & Jerry did.

MischaHY 29 May 2014

Yes, anyone can benefit. However, the vast majority of climbers will benefit massively more from improved technique and simple climbing mileage than they will from simply getting a little stronger.

It's like how you can take a strong person from a regular gym and take them to a rock gym - they won't be any better than the average punter until they learn some technique.

So yes, specific training will bring benefits, but for the majority of climbers random practice is still their best bet for rapid improvements.
 Tyler 29 May 2014
In reply to MischaHY:

> Yes, anyone can benefit. However, the vast majority of climbers will benefit massively more from improved technique and simple climbing mileage than they will from simply getting a little stronger.

I agree that most climbers would benefit from more climbing but this should be done to improve fitness and strength not technique. Everyone has good technique when operating below their limit
 the power 29 May 2014
In reply to frano81:

I've had "gym ring" got sum cream from chemist cleared it up in no time
 MischaHY 29 May 2014
In reply to Tyler:

> Everyone has good technique when operating below their limit

Hmm. I might have to disagree with you there.
 Shani 29 May 2014
Absolute technique will degrade with fatigue, but when fatigued, technique can help overcome a crux one would otherwise attempt to 'thug'!
 JayPee630 29 May 2014
In reply to krank:

You're a bit of a moron aren't you? I go to a Crossfit gym and we use the rings amongst other killing machine like things, and we get excellent advice and coaching from people that have probably forgotten more about strength and conditioning that you know.

MischaHY 29 May 2014
In reply to Shani:

Indeed, and using better technique saves blowing power that may be necessary for the coming moves.
 Shani 29 May 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

> You're a bit of a moron aren't you? I go to a Crossfit gym and we use the rings amongst other killing machine like things, and we get excellent advice and coaching from people that have probably forgotten more about strength and conditioning that you know.

Whilst I disagree with Krank that Crossfit is 'nonsense', the suggestion that it is dangerous is to some extent justified (notwithstanding the statistical significance of the sample size):

"A total of 132 responses were collected with 97 (73.5%) having sustained an injury during CrossFit training." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24276294

I suspect the injury rate amongst climbers in general (those who consider they 'train' for climbing), would also be high. My observation is that few climbers cycle their training and scheduled rest is ignored; breaks from training being enforced through injury.
 JayPee630 29 May 2014
In reply to Shani:

Yes, injuries happen as they do with lots of sport and training as that study shows, and loads less than some sports. Are some Crossfit gyms a bit crap, yes. Not killing people though! And loads are excellent. The sweeping unsubstantiated statement annoyed me!
 Shani 29 May 2014
In reply to JayPee630:
> (In reply to Shani)
>
> Yes, injuries happen as they do with lots of sport and training as that study shows, and loads less than some sports. Are some Crossfit gyms a bit crap, yes. Not killing people though! And loads are excellent. The sweeping unsubstantiated statement annoyed me!

My reservations with CF are around the performing high reps of the Oly lifts....and the celebration of rhabdo.

That said, I've not looked in to CF for a few years so things may have changed a bit since then. I agree with the broad philosophy of CF - the idea of functional fitness and intense activity is excellent, as is the aim of keeping things mixed up.
 Paul Crusher R 29 May 2014
In reply to frano81: Yes, use them regular, great for core, try doing front levers on a bar then on the rings... the difference in stability development is amazing.. grrr

JayPee630 29 May 2014
In reply to Shani:

Yes, agreed with some of the lifts, but good places steer away from that or encourage good form with light weights. Celebration of Rhabdo is not something I've come across, might be a macho USA thing?
 Shani 29 May 2014
In reply to JayPee630:
> (In reply to Shani)
>
> Celebration of Rhabdo is not something I've come across, might be a macho USA thing?

Must have been. I remember a few years ago quite a few CF'ers celebrating earning their Uncle Rhabdo/Pukie the Clown T-shirts....until it was pointed out what rhabdomyolysis is/does at the physiological level.
 Boulderdaz 29 May 2014
In reply to frano81:

+1 for rings. Great apparatus for variations on common exercises such as press ups. everything is harder when using rings. Check out the gimme kraft exercises too for the rings, as that gives you a run through of exercises and routines.

For everyone that always says 'the best climbing is climbing', not everyone is able to get out to a wall or crag easily, so supplementary exercises (especially after a home hang board session) is actually very good advice and helps keep muscles balanced and preventing injury
 Ee 29 May 2014
In reply to frano81: Yip, regular user of both TRX and Gymnastic Type ring.
Often use for full bosy workouts/routines.
After all guys, we DO use all our bodies whilst climbing DON'T we ?? !!
Ee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...