UKC

Meriam Ibrahim and her new baby

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell 27 May 2014
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/27/sudan-death-sentence-woman-giv...

This Sudanese lady has had her daughter a month prematurely--hardly surprising given the stress she must be under, since she faces both flogging and a death sentence for the 'crimes' of 'apostasy' and adultery.

Today I am going to post a Congratulations card to her. I hope Meriam Ibrahim, Women's Jail, Khartoum, SUDAN will be sufficient as an address.

I wonder if anyone else would like to do the same...
 Skyfall 27 May 2014
In reply to Tim Chappell:

The world is a mad place at times isn't it.
 aln 27 May 2014

I admire your intent but I wonder if the Sudanese authorities might view messages from Christians as a negative thing?
Tim Chappell 27 May 2014
In reply to aln:

That kind of worry is real, but it doesn't seem to deter Amnesty, who always stress to keep your messages bland and polite. Which I will.
 gilliesp 27 May 2014

Terrible situation. I used Amnesty's link to get info and submit a letter using their format. Very easy to use.

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/actions/sudan-execution-apostasy-pregnant-woman-...

Copied this from site. So there is a couple of years to try change things.

'Given two years to nurse before she's hanged
Sudan's Criminal Code states that a pregnant woman sentenced to death must give birth and nurse her child for two years before her execution can go ahead. If Sudan does execute Meriam after this period, they will leave two young children without a mother, as well as taking away Meriam's right to life.
No date for Meriam's execution has yet been announced.'
 Bruce Hooker 27 May 2014

Will you get someone to write it in Arabic for you? It might give them something to think about, otherwise it may well go straight in the bin.
Tim Chappell 27 May 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

I imagine translating "Congratulations on the birth of your baby" from English to Arabic will not be beyond the wit of *everyone* in Khartoum. Don't you?
Tim Chappell 27 May 2014
In reply to gilliesp:

Thanks--I've filled that in too
 Bruce Hooker 27 May 2014

I mean written in Arabic text, even if you don't respect islam, which I don't either, if you want to get through to people making the effort to address them in their own language and writing has a better chance of touching them, assuming this isn't just a symbolic gesture for the feelgood factor of doing it.
Tim Chappell 27 May 2014
If you know how to write "congratulations on your new baby" in Arabic text, and are sure that you can put it in the version of Arabic that they actually speak in the Sudan, by all means let me know.

Until then, I think English has as good a chance as anything else I might venture. As you'll have noticed, Bruce, her husband is an American citizen, and appears to conduct media interviews in English. So there seems a good chance that she speaks at least some English too.

I do, incidentally, respect Islam. This isn't really about Islam, it's about tyranny.
Post edited at 18:19
Tim Chappell 27 May 2014

PS Her husband is a US citizen, as I'm sure you've noticed. So there's a good chance she speaks at least some English too.

What I hope is that she gets enough cards saying "Congratulations on your new baby" to get the gist even if she *doesn't* speak any English
Tim Chappell 27 May 2014

Bah. What is it with the Edit function on this site? You edit and the edit doesn't show up. So you do it another way. And then the edit does show up.

Bah.

Anyroad. Helping protect people from mad, stupid, swivel-eyed tyrants is more important than my computer incompetence.
 Bruce Hooker 27 May 2014

Islamic tyranny, it's the simple sharia law that is being applied. The same that has just been restored in Brunei and will authorise the death penalty for anyone older than 7 years old for such super serious crimes as wanting to leave islam, and become a christian, for example. That's the islam you respect... but not enough to make the effort of finding someone to translate you letter into the language of the country.
Tim Chappell 27 May 2014
Yes, Bruce, my apathy about this issue is perfectly clear, isn't it.

Now we've put me in my place, let's talk about you. Why not, at the very least, use that Amnesty link to protest on her behalf to the Sudanese authorities?

If you've already done this (in Arabic or English), then good for you.

If you haven't, then stop wasting time baiting me, and do it now. Please. Pretty please?

This poor woman is facing a death sentence, for crying out loud. Isn't that a bit more important than UKC oneupmanship and troll games?

Never mind trolling me. This isn't about me. It's about her. Do something for her.
Post edited at 18:53
 Bruce Hooker 27 May 2014

> Why not, at the very least, use that Amnesty link to protest on her behalf to the Sudanese authorities?

Because it's a total waste of time, just like heaping flowers wherever a road accident or a murder happens, just to make people feel better. In this case it may even make things worse, letters from "little satan" are unlikely to make the locals feel more empathy for this poor women.

> Do something for her.

What increase the risk of her being executed as you and Amnesty are doing? I'd rather abstain if that's all right by you.
Tim Chappell 27 May 2014
Here's the Amnesty link again, folks:

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/actions/sudan-execution-apostasy-pregnant-woman-...

Let's get out of our egotistical corners and try and change something.

If I were going to be executed by some religious fanatics, a "congratulations on the birth of a baby you will not live see grow up," card would cheer me up no end.

This is nasty too.

> A pregnant woman was stoned to death by her own family in front of a Pakistani high court on Tuesday for marrying the man she loved. Nearly 20 members of the woman's family, including her father and brothers, attacked her and her husband with batons and bricks in broad daylight before a crowd of onlookers in front of the high court of Lahore, police investigator Rana Mujahid said. Hundreds of women are murdered every year in Muslim-majority Pakistan in so-called " honour killings" – carried out by husbands or relatives as a punishment for alleged adultery or other illicit sexual behaviour – but public stoning is extremely rare.

Tim Chappell 31 May 2014
Tim Chappell 02 Jun 2014

...Except the Sudanese authorities haven't actually done anything except a press release:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27655842

So presumably those of us who are bothering them about this via Amnesty or whoever should keep on bothering.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...