UKC

Careers advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 31 May 2014
Not just 'do whatever you enjoy' but does anyone know of a career advice service that exists for mature students/non school leavers? I'm working it all out myself and could kind of do with someone else in my corner.

Grateful for any ideas
 James91 31 May 2014
In reply to Kemics:

When you say mature students, do you mean you are coming out of university and trying to work out how it all works? Or something different/already out and trying to? I only ask as I am in a similar position except have found that the university I have attended till now has a career advice service, and I would have thought if you are in this position then you would be able to find something similar.
Mediocre Scientist 01 Jun 2014
In reply to Kemics:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1607743620?pc_redir=1401064763&robot_re...

"What colour is my parachute" often seems to be recommended.

OP Kemics 01 Jun 2014
In reply to James91:

I'm kind of going in the opposite direction, already working but trying to go back to university
 tlm 01 Jun 2014
In reply to Kemics:

> I'm kind of going in the opposite direction, already working but trying to go back to university

Have you got something specific in mind to study?
How old are you?
Do you want to live in a particular place?
Do you have kids/ family/ commitments that mean you can't move?
How are you hoping to pay for it?
Can you study full time/part time/at a distance?
In reply to Kemics:

Try National Careers Service, they still deal with anyone not just young people.

I am in the same position, each new path leads to a dead end.

Good luck though
OP Kemics 02 Jun 2014
In reply to tlm:

Yes i'd like to study medicine. I've done a lot of the leg work myself building my application. But would like someone to glance over it and make sure i'm being as efficient with my time as possible.

The recipe for a school leaver is pretty defined but as a graduate student it's a lot less clear. One university's admissions requirements is basically one sentence which reads "we consider all applications on their individual merits..." I think I interview well, I meet the entry requirements (when they're listed)...I just need to work the finer details of my application....and decide where to send it!
 Welsh Kate 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Kemics:

In your position I'd contact the Admissions Tutor for the university you're most interested in and ask for advice. Hopefully there'll be a contact number or email on their website, or go to the Coursefinder website and search; there's an email link for each department / subject's contact.
 Tall Clare 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Welsh Kate:

That's what I've done recently in investigating my next step - I ended up having a long conversation with someone it turns out I knew from another area of my life. He was far more helpful than any amount of internet rummaging or guesswork could have been.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...