UKC

Grenoble guidebook, any suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Philly 01 Jun 2014
I'm off to the Grenoble area for a couple of weeks climbing, does anyone know of a good guidebook (written in English) which covers the Chartreuse, Vercors and Belledonne, etc? All I can find is the Rockfax one which is a bit too far south. Thanks!
finanrodinson 01 Jun 2014
In reply to Philly:

(This will quite possibly be completely useless to you as the guides are in french)

The guides I used when climbing around Grenoble were the ZE Topo "Escalade en Isere" It's split into two volumes with #1 being more focused on the Chartreuse and #2 being more focused on the Vercors and Belledonne. They're great guides but if you have no way to either understand them or translate them, you might struggle to find the Crags.

I'm afraid I can't remember if there were any guides in English when I went shopping for one (the local Decathlon has a good selection of local guides) but it's possible.

In any case good luck, there's some decent climbing around those parts!
 RomTheBear 01 Jun 2014
In reply to finanrodinson:

Agree, what you need is ZE Topo "Escalade en Isere", but it's only in French.
You can buy it "Au Vieux Campeur" an excellent outdoor shop in Grenoble, where the price of climbing gear is often lower than anything in the UK.
 Doug 01 Jun 2014
In reply to Philly:

Only guides I've ever seen in English are guides to France (e.g. Livesey, Birkett) with the odd route or two in the Vercors.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...