UKC

Easy climbs for kids nr Exeter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petehaz 02 Jun 2014
It's been a while since I've set foot (or hand) on rock... but moving to Exeter in the near future and the kids are showing a real flare for climbing (at the ClipnClimb) and I'm keen to get them out on some real rock over the summer. What easy access/easy route crags (scrambling / D / VD)are there near to Exeter that would be good to get the kids on to?

Thanks
 David Coley 02 Jun 2014
In reply to petehaz:

Pete, the south devon mountaineering club is knee deep in kids at the moment (from 18 months up). They will know lots of places
 Mark Haward 02 Jun 2014
In reply to petehaz:

Hound Tor is a great spot
In reply to petehaz:

Sheepstor is very good and safe for that. Bit of a drive, but worth it.
 Chris Ebbutt 03 Jun 2014
In reply to petehaz:

Great little Spot for kids toproping and picnic is Leigh Tor just into the moor from Ashburton. Also First pitch of Sunshine at Anstey's Cove ( 60M rope plus slings so as not to top rope direct through bolt belay)is very slabby right up to the crux at the top and combines with a good day at the beach sandcastles, snorkelling and tombestoning what more could kids want.
Any other thoughts on this greatly appreciated as keen to expand the venues I take the kids to.
Have fun
Chris
OP petehaz 03 Jun 2014
Thanks all... will give some of these a look in. Have ordered a couple of local crag guides.
 Motown 04 Jun 2014
In reply to petehaz:

A second for Sheepstor - short, straight routes with easy belays.

Leigh Tor is where a lot of activity centres take people for their first experience of climbing - some good Mods.

Although Haytor is a busy location, the climbs on Bulging Wall are among some of the most accessible on the Moor.

One place that shouldn't be overlooked is Greator Rocks. Here you'll find some nice routes with some holds which are positive in a way not always found on granite. It's a bit further from the crowds of Hound Tor but worth the extra five minutes. The links below are for the three best easy routes, but I think they would be perfect for starting out. There is also plenty of scrambling and a fun ridge route to go at.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=75274
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=75273
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=75621

Nearer Exeter than anywhere else on Dartmoor (head out on the back road to Moretonhampstead you'll find Heltor Rock. It's another great location and although the routes are not anything special, when in Exeter I walkways like that in twenty minutes I could be somewhere like that. There's a bit of reasonable bouldering hidden away right of the approach and a few bits and pieces that could be fun to top rope.

For the two above you may need to find a copy of the old South Devon and. Dartmoor guide - a joy, but increasingly expensive - but if you want someone to show you a couple of these places, get in touch. I am in Devon for ?July and August and happy to help.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...