UKC

2nd monitor display problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 02 Jun 2014
Hoping someone can help...

I'm trying to run my TV as a second screen, but the resolution options I'm offered (generic pnp monitor driver) only include 1280x720 or 1024x768. On my old PC I had no trouble getting the tv to display at 1280(ish)x768 (as well as hundreds of other resolutions) but just don't seem to have the different options now I'm on a new laptop.

Any ideas as 1024 is just rubbish, and 1280x720 seems to go off the screen, and the display is not crisp

Thanks
Clauso 02 Jun 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Have you got the most current graphics drivers installed for your laptop?
 itsThere 02 Jun 2014

How is it connected, is it vga. switch to dvi or hdmi. If that made no sense ask for an explination
OP balmybaldwin 02 Jun 2014
In reply to itsThere:
It's HDMI (same as on the old Vista PC) (I'm using it via a wireless adapter box, but it's the same when hard wired)

Edit, just booted up old pc.. it's running the same display at 1360x768 (32 bit), and is also using a generic pnp monitor driver and is perfectly crisp
Post edited at 18:18
In reply to Clauso:

should hope so.. it's only a week old... will check though

Found a bios update, so running that now...
 itsThere 02 Jun 2014

Hmm is the aspect ratio set to match your laptop. Have a look in the settings and see what they are at.
In reply to itsThere:
No, laptop is set at 1920x1080, and i've tried with and without the aspect ratio radio box checked

(BIOS update made no difference)
Post edited at 19:01
 rallymania 02 Jun 2014

look for an option on the display settings that's called something like

show or hide other display sizes

the exact name depends on your OS
In reply to rallymania:

Im on windows 8.1

Found a display full list button in the display adapter settings, the same adapter when i access through laptop monitor allows 400 odd different settings, but when accessed through the second screen only shows 1024x768 and 1280x768.

Going to try my other tv if I can get to it
 Nexonen 02 Jun 2014

Is it set to mirror or extend the desktop? Make sure to choose extend or only show the desktop on the TV.
 rallymania 02 Jun 2014
In reply to Nexonen:

yep, concur!
In reply to Nexonen:

I've tried it on extend, and tv only, or tv as main display etc... no joy. It's very odd... it knows it's a sony tv (i didn't tell it) but is disabling the settings for some reason.

I've read a bit about some software to create a custom driver file... might try that later, it' too much to think about right now
 itsThere 02 Jun 2014

Have you just got a HDMI connection on the laptop
OP balmybaldwin 03 Jun 2014
In reply to itsThere:

a mini display port, but I've also got miracast (wireless)

Ordered an adapter to dvi to try that

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...