UKC

Outdoor shops in the south-west

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mcdougal 02 Jun 2014

Hi all. I'm going on holiday to the west country next week and need a new waterproof - meant to look in one of the bigger outdoor shops in the Lakes but never got chance. Can anyone recommend a shop with a large selection in Taunton or Exeter or further west? Don't fancy starting my holiday in Bristol city centre!
Cheers,
P.

Edit: maybe gear forum would have been more appropriate. Sorry, mods.
Post edited at 19:18
In reply to mcdougal:

Taunton Leisure have stores in Exeter and Taunton.
 Tom Last 03 Jun 2014
In reply to mcdougal:

Further West in Cornwall there's Cotswold's Truro, Penrose Outdoor Truro & Nevis Sports at Kingsley Village, Fraddon (just off the A30).
OP mcdougal 03 Jun 2014
Just what I wanted, thanks guys.
 grump gnome 03 Jun 2014
In reply to mcdougal:

Trail Venture in Ashburton, Kountry Kit in Tavistock, Trail Outdoors in Ivybridge and Cotswold in Plymouth.
OP mcdougal 03 Jun 2014
In reply to grump gnome:

Ivybridge eh? Perfect.
Can anyone tell me which of the places mentioned has the largest selection?
Cheers.
 Tom Last 03 Jun 2014
In reply to mcdougal:

Of those I mentioned, probably Cotswold Truro. Cotswolds Truro is also better than the Cotswold Plymouth store. Don't know about the others.
OP mcdougal 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Tom Last:

Thank you, Tom. Looks like I'll be going to Cotswold Truro so as to spend as little time shopping as possible.
 Mark Kemball 04 Jun 2014
In reply to mcdougal:

The Cotswold Outdoors, Exeter is an out of town store, about 10 - 15 minutes south of the M5 - a big selection of kit and a minimum of time wasted getting to the shops + big free on site car park. http://community.cotswoldoutdoor.com/stores/exeter/
 Nick GP 04 Jun 2014
In reply to mcdougal:

Kountry Kit in Tavistock usually has a good range of gear and excellent, knowledgeable staff. I buy lots of gear from them and am always happy with what I got. It is an independent shop as well so I like to support them.

What gear are you after? If you are after jackets they normally have Berghaus, Jack Wolfskin, Mountain Hardware, Arcteryx and Paramo. Havent needed anything in a whilse so dont know if they are stocking any other brands. They also do Rab down jackets but I don't think they sell their waterproofs.
 Chunk 04 Jun 2014
In reply to mcdougal:

+1 for Cotswold Exeter. Its 10 mins of J30 M5 south so you'll be able to get in and out quickly. Plus the farm shop next door has some great local produce including amazing pies and pasties!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...