UKC

European Cup Winner Molly Thompson Smith

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian Dunn 03 Jun 2014
Molly Thompson Smith took gold at the Imst European Youth Cup in the Youth A category last weekend. As this year there is only one round in the EYC's she is European Cup Winner for 2014 to add to her current titles of British Lead Champion both Junior and Senior. As Team Manager it was really satisfying to see our Team Captain win a European event and let's hope she can continue her good form in the European Championship in Ratho in two weeks time. Well done Molly you really deserve it.
In reply to Ian Dunn:

Well done Ian. Great result for Molly.

Dave D.
 john arran 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Ian Dunn:

That's fantastic. What with Shauna and now Molly winning at the highest level does this herald a new era for UK comp climbing?
In reply to john arran:

There has always been British competition climbers who achieve top results in international events. What seems to happen in the UK is we have at least 1 good comp climber who gets great results when they are a kid then they don't get the transition into international senior level competitions and they generally then stop competing...

Whereas other countries such as Austria, Slovenia, France, Germany, Russia, etc... their young climbers transcend into the seniors and achieve good results and then have an extra 10-15 years of competing on the world circuit.

We have NEVER had a competitor do this in at least the last 10 years. I know we had good senior comp climbers years and years ago e.g. Simon Nadin, but they didn't do junior comps so it wasn;t like they had a transition from junior team.

Shauna is the only one I can think of but she never really transitioned from her original discipline of Lead (difficulty) when she was a kid because now she does bouldering...

Tom Bolger won European Cup Round but never went onto compete seriously internationally (no funding for it)

Natalie Berry is the same... Won European Cup Round, no funding to go to international events and a lack of structure of senior team lead to not competing at international level

Kitty Wallace won European Cup Round as well

Ed Hamer currently operating at an insane level and achieved amazing results at Junior level international competitions but hasn't transitioned to senior...

I guess there is just little funding for Senior competition climbers and no structure for a team (or not that I have heard of so don't quote me on that). It's a shame because we have always had really good kids that have enormous potential at senior level... then they kind of just get let go and drift off into something else... usually rock climbing (great!!!) But it would be cool to see a British Senior Team...

Ian W 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Robbie_Phillips:

Hi Robbie,

Indeed the drift away from comps has been significant, and ye there are many reasons. However there is no denying a lack of support structure was one of them. We are trying, however, and now have a senior lead team manager, a transition plan, and a selection of recently ex juniors who are willing to give it a go, so we may well see some senior lead climbers coming through. It isn't easy however (I know you appreciate this), and it will take a few years, but we are giving it a go!
Anyway, you were ok a comps a couple of years back.....fancy giving it another go?

Ian Walton
Chair, BMC Comps Committee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...