UKC

The new music I'm listening to is...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
...Wildewoman by Lucius. Damn fine album, bought on the strength of seeing them on Later with Jools Holland. It has some of those harmonies that sound distinctly American, though why that should be I'm not certain.

What's grooving your musical truffles?

T.
 Mikkel 04 Jun 2014
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

I just got the new Mike Oldfield albums, and have gone from finding Luke Spillers voice annoying to really liking the album.

I've just bought that Wildewoman album after reading your post and having a listen. I get what you mean by it sounding American. There's quite a American staples creeping in there like the slide guitar, bluesy guitar riffs and the country and western style vocal harmonies in a few songs. I like it a lot!

David
 Blue Straggler 04 Jun 2014

Ane Brun
 aln 04 Jun 2014

Gruff Rhys - American Interior
The Scenes - beige
The War On Drugs - Lost In A Dream
Susumu Yokota - 3 albums from his prolific output, pick any one they're all good
 coinneach 04 Jun 2014
In reply to aln:

First Aid Kit
 aln 04 Jun 2014
In reply to coinneach:

> First Aid Kit

I haven't injured myself recently. Maybe there's compensation coming my way?
 lost1977 05 Jun 2014

someone who i only just started listening to a few days ago is Raleigh Richie, is his music genius ? no but still enjoyable
 gd303uk 07 Jun 2014

i am listening to julian copes' Revolutionary suicide
and Malutu Astatke, spotify:track:6UTg8n7UkdHq77b1ToTVA0

as well as The Modwheel and some Ricardo Villalobos .

not all new i know but relatively new to me,

Sink41 08 Jun 2014
Some of the slightly lesser known stuff I have been listening too:

Thank you scientist (prog rock)
youtube.com/watch?v=PIpn68XKFK0&

Enablers (spoken word/post rock)
youtube.com/watch?v=oFlmQ8YTahM&

Kuedo (electronic)
youtube.com/watch?v=UCCXRyYXgg0&

Amesoeurs (black metal-ish/shoegaze/french)
youtube.com/watch?v=ZIRfTgbiWVA&
Post edited at 03:26
Heaven 08 Jun 2014

Listening to a lot of Municipal Waste lately.

After years of only listening to traditional thrash bands from the 80s and 90s, and dismissing MW as modern trash, I finally listened to them for the first time a few weeks ago.

They are very good.
 RBonney 10 Jun 2014

Just discovered Disturbed and am really enjoying some of their stuff, even if it is a bit samey.
Removed User 10 Jun 2014

Listening to Local Natives, a band out of LA. They were opening for the K.O.L. and I thought they were good so I bought their album.
 Wyddfa 10 Jun 2014
In reply to aln:

Hi, what's the Gruff Rhys album like? Seen some publicity the other day, but haven't had the chance to listen to anything yet.

S.
 Paul Atkinson 10 Jun 2014

The new Mr Scruff album Friendly Bacteria. He's a great DJ but I found his albums a bit bit and miss and too quirky over the years. This one's a cracker though.

The Amazing Snakeheads - Amphetamine Ballads - raucous Glaswegian punk with a bluesy baseline - excellent - the lead singer reminds me of a Scots Shane Macgowan
 gd303uk 12 Jun 2014

I am very happy to see/hear the return of Richie Hawtin to Plastikman.
and he has released his new lp; EX, all over the web,
this has been played several times already in my house.
Plastikman- EX;

youtube.com/watch?v=fDBcxEMHNMs&

"Zaba" by "Glass Animals"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/zaba/id860685871

Brought it the other day it's awesome

RyanOsborne 12 Jun 2014

Tanlines - Borthers. The 3D video is awesome too!

http://pitchfork.com/news/45466-watch-the-360-degree-video-for-tanlines-bro...

Blue Straggler 12 Jun 2014

Not new as such, but I recently got all four Fiona Apple albums. The first is a bit of a write-off but #2, #3 and #4 are all consistently excellent. I think I like #4 the best (I know #2 is a lot of peoples' favourite but then they have probably had it since 1999 whereas #4 was not out until 2012, so they are likely to have a "familiarity bias")

She's an interesting character. An updated Kate Bush, perhaps!
In reply to Pursued by a bear: There are lots of things to work through here. I shall listen to some, and possibly more, of them all.

That Wildewoman album has some tunes that are ear-worms. I still think it's a damn fine record.

T.

aln 13 Jun 2014
In reply to Wyddfa:

> Hi, what's the Gruff Rhys album like?

It's fantastic. No massive changes, he hasn't turned out an album of Death Metal. I'm not good at reviews. I'll assume you know the story behind the album and the multi media project it's part of. If you already like his music then buy it, you won't be disappointed.
 Blue Straggler 14 Jun 2014

Currently a regrettable impulse buy.
All my instincts screamed "no" but for a fiver I thought I'd give it a punt

This review says it all (in fairness I am only three songs in - maybe the gems will make it worth that fiver, but my God the Tori Amos one was manky)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/jn4z

Ooh this Martha Wainwright one is a bit better.

Hmm
 Blue Straggler 15 Jun 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Oops, it is a double CD and my comments were based on disc 2 instead of disc 1 (blame the shopkeeper). The whole thing is still a bit dubious, but let's retract (for now) the naming of names, given that the Tori Amos and Martha Wainwright tracks were not actually Tori Amos and Martha Wainwright (one was Kate Pierson, which now makes more sense, and the other was Sia Furler)

I think the album might grow on me actually!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...