UKC

Sign language course?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 05 Jun 2014
Just wondering if you can recommend me a good sign language course I could do at home or online?
 Little Brew 05 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

Not much help but interested in the same sort of course.
 lost1977 05 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

if you want i'll send you a copy of BSL for dummies, one of the big problems with learning BSL (not really sure how to explain this)

i can teach someone to finger spell in 30 mins but understanding someone else finger spelling is a lot harder, if you want i can probably find you a course local to you
 Little Brew 05 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

oh and this seemed good to me http://www.british-sign.co.uk/bsl-british-sign-language/learn-online-britis... just waiting till i have time to really sit and learn to sign-up.
 lost1977 05 Jun 2014
In reply to Little Brew:

if you can find a course locally i would recommend it rather than doing an online course as you will learn so much easier
OP The Potato 05 Jun 2014
In reply to lost1977:

thanks but I work in awkward locations so getting to them on time even if there are any available is always difficult. I tried a french course last year but missed loads due to travel complications.

Lost1977 yhm
 lost1977 05 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

in that case find another person to learn with so you learn both sides (the reading as well as the speaking if that makes sense). trying to learn solo is really hard and you may find yourself having to practice whilst looking it the mirror. the first time you use it in real life is really funny (i'm self taught and haven't had much practice with others), my first time i had a Deaf person approach me and spotting my hearing aids he just started signing at full speed a question (totally freaked me out), luckily i was able to sign that "i only sign a little" and then finger spelt the words i didn't know
OP The Potato 05 Jun 2014
In reply to lost1977:

easy as that eh just find someone else to sign with
 lost1977 05 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34950546/BSL.pdf

theres also a section about lipreading at the end of the first chapter and making yourself easier to lipread

fire_munki 05 Jun 2014
In reply to lost1977:
That dropbox link is great, thanks for putting it up! My gf has <50% hearing in one ear, 0% in the other and will get progressively worse so we both want to learn while she can hear to ask questions easily.

She already lip reads and tells me off for playing with my beard when talking to her!
Big thanks!
Post edited at 15:42
 lost1977 05 Jun 2014
In reply to ow arm:

you how when you learn a foreign language if you have someone to practice conversation with it helps, with BSL you have to learn to read the signs from both sides
 lost1977 05 Jun 2014
In reply to fire_munki:

I'm guilty of telling people off when i'm trying to lipread, I'm also guilty of using lipreading to my advantage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...