UKC

Carrying your camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MSchobitz 06 Jun 2014
Hey,
Ive been trying to figure out a good way to carry my SLR camera when doing long rock or snow routes (while wearing a backpack), so that I can have it out and ready quickly, but also out of the way when climbing. Ive tried a bit of slinging the neck strap around my neck and arm but it still moves around quite a bit.
Any recommendations?
Also, if you're going to tell me to use a "point and shoot", you may as well not bother...
Cheers!
In reply to MSchobitz:

I set the strap so the bag hangs just below my left hip and clip it under the waistbelt of the rucksack. I took the shoulder pad off the strap so it is super low profile and just sits under everything (including a waterproof jacket if I wear one). Doesn't seem to move too much. It works on Scottish I/II snow but I haven't tried it on rock. Also only works with a small camera bag, no room for a spare lens. If I carry one it goes in the backpack.

There are cool harnesses that hold the bag at sternum height but I cannae afford one and my climbing photography isn't really good enough to justify the weight. I just use a point-and-shoot for rock routes and any harder winter stuff. =P
 veteye 07 Jun 2014
In reply to MSchobitz:

It may not be the most careful way with the camera,but I quite often carry my camera on a gear loop on my harness(or possibly a gear loop on the rucksac)by having a karabiner permanently through the camera strap.
I usually use the right rear gear loop,but I do move it for certain types of route(chimneys especially).So I do sometimes have it on the rear left loop.
The camera does get scratched,but it also gets used.Obviously you have to be more aware about taking the camera off the gear loop and replacing it.
(Cameras I take are usually Nikon D90 or D7000)

Rob
In reply to MSchobitz:

You are still better off carrying your camera over your head and shoulder on one side of your body, certainly not anywhere near your waist where it will get in the way of both your gear and your climbing. If you get the length of strap exactly right you will be able to swivel it round so that it's parked on your back just behind you arm, right out of harm's way. You will also need an extra safety strap to attach the camera's own neck strap to a sling round your neck (or whatever; best system is for you to work out). But all this has become a lot more trivial now with the lightness of modern cameras, and particularly their lenses.
In reply to MSchobitz:

If you're talking about a modern little 'point and press' (which you weren't) then you can of course carry that somewhere on the back of our waistbelt, e.g near your descendeur/ belay plate, gear remover etc.
 icnoble 07 Jun 2014
In reply to MSchobitz: this reminds me of a fantastic winter days walking in winter with a group of fellow fell walking club friends. We were walking in perfect winter conditions when one of the group stopped, took off his sac, took out his Hassleblad, took the shot and put it back. I just had my lNikon camera.

In reply to MSchobitz:

I use the Think Tank Digital Holster with the chest harness, keeps the camera as accessible as it can be. Clik Elite do some also, though I can't say anything about their quality. A brief review of the Digital Holster at the following link:

http://ruinapartum.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/gear-review-think-tank-digital-...
OP MSchobitz 07 Jun 2014
In reply to MSchobitz:

Ive found this online. Has anyone used this?

https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capture

It looks like a solid idea but Im wondering how much it gets "banged about" while climbing.
Also, the price is a bit disheartening...
 IM 08 Jun 2014
In reply to MSchobitz:

i know you said don't mention point and shoot cameras.... but what is the issue? do you like to change lenses en route? is it the cost of getting one that puts you off? if not, then cameras like the canon g1x, ricoh gr etc have sensors almost the same size as a canon 7d, 60d etc etc, the image quality is superb, ISO capabilities are great and you can hang it round your neck and tuck it in your chest pocket and take it out when needed. you can even shoot one-handed.

just a thought.

OP MSchobitz 08 Jun 2014
In reply to mac fae stirling:

I get that the point and shoots of today are almost on par with SLRs and would be pretty good on a climb (for the reasons you stated), but the point and shoot that I have is no where as good as my SLR. Since I want to have good photos from my trips, I want to take a good camera.
 radson 09 Jun 2014
In reply to MSchobitz:

I dont know how many times i have replied to similar questions on UKC.

One option which for me has worked quite well is the Clik Elite chest carriers. I have used these on 6,000, 7,000 and 8,000 m peaks up and down including abseiling etc.
 Hannes 09 Jun 2014
In reply to MSchobitz:

> I get that the point and shoots of today are almost on par with SLRs and would be pretty good on a climb (for the reasons you stated), but the point and shoot that I have is no where as good as my SLR. Since I want to have good photos from my trips, I want to take a good camera.

That is almost solely dependent on the tiny sensor in the P&S
 Stevie989 27 Jun 2014
In reply to MSchobitz:

I have a holdfast Money Maker harness. Mostly for the hipster value when shooting weddings. But I have used it to 'hook' the camera around my back out the road whilst nipping up short scrambles to shoot above when bouldering.
 Kai 27 Jun 2014
In reply to MSchobitz:

This is a backpack designed for easy access to cameras.

http://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-panorama

Review here:

http://www.wildsnow.com/13548/mindshift-camera-bag/

I don't own one, but if I were going to carry a dSLR and a couple of lenses on a climb, I'd probably buy one.
 Adam Long 27 Jun 2014
In reply to MSchobitz:

Get the smallest case the camera will fit in and either put it on your rucsac waistbelt, or the waistbelt of your harness. If you carry another lens do the same and have it on the other side. An SLR will never be completely out of the way but its better than having it buried in your bag.

The bag linked above looks like a great idea but I suspect it would never be the right size. And it's pricey.
 Si Withington 28 Jun 2014
In reply to MSchobitz:
> Ive found this online. Has anyone used this?

I've used it, along with practically every other solution that is out there! It's a well made, robust piece of kit and I rate it highly. The only thing against it is that it doesn't adjust wide enough to be attached to most rucksack straps. Also check out the Spider Pro holster system - same idea.

The Think Tank set up works well as the bags are pretty small & attach easily to the bespoke belts or to pack belts etc.

Also check out Black Rapid's straps. I use one. It allows the camera to be captured around the back of the body so it doesn't swing around when climbing. You can then release things, bring the camera to the front and shoot. The camera slides up and down the strap, rather than being attached to one point.

Carrying an SLR when climbing is always going to be an inconvenience. Either deal with it, or keep it in the top of your pack and shoot at belays.
Post edited at 16:32
 The Potato 28 Jun 2014
In reply to Si Withington:

good reply there, this is also of interest to me - which Black rapid system do you use / whats your favoured setup?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...