UKC

Climbing books for children

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 10 Jun 2014
My niece is 13 and has been indoor climbing for a couple of years now (down in London).

Are there any good climbing stories aimed at kids? Or something suitable to inspire a 13 year old?
In reply to Flinticus:

I think the dearth of replies speak for themselves: climbing literature tends to be incredibly dull (I have somewhere between 500 and 1000 tomes now, and its only the coffee table picture books that see the light of day).

What level is she likely to read at? At 13, some kids are already on fairly grown-up material, whilst others need the constant injection of attention-grabbing headlines and photos. If she's a bookish sort, there's more potential.

Martin

(My reading-mad 11yo climbing daughter won't touch any of my climbing books with a bargepole)
OP Flinticus 10 Jun 2014
In reply to maisie:

I'd say she's a good reader and wouldn't require photos. Though maybe a photo book would be a good source of inspiration.
 GavClayton 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

I went on a John Muir Award leaders course once and in the stuff they had to explain the ethos of the John Muir Trust, there was a picture book (maybe a little young for a 13 year old) about John Muir and his dog. I've just googled it and it's called "Stickeen"; the copy they had was by John Muir; retold by Donnell Rubay; Illustrations by Christopher Canyon. It looks like many different versions are available so you might find one that looks less juvenile(?) It's not climbing specific but is aimed at inspiring a spirit of outdoor adventure in young people.
 Jim Walton 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Matt Dickinson has written a Trilogy called "The Everest Files", meant to be aimed at teenagers I beleive.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/children_sbookreviews/10702720/The...
OP Flinticus 10 Jun 2014
Thanks.

Got The Everest Files. Gets great reviews.

I like the John Muir stuff too. I'd read one of the Stickeen stories myself! Certainly will keep in mind for Christmas.
 knthrak1982 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

When I was a complete beginner and climbing indoors (though a little older than your niece), I found Always a Little Further by Alastair Borthwick pretty inspirational and made me want to get outside. Bit old but still relevant.

Been a while since I've read it so not sure if it's at the right level or what you're after.
 Mark Kemball 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

As a kid, I really enjoyed Showell Styles' books - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0411808206/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8... ) but they are, to put it mildly, very dated (boots correctly nailed etc.). Gwen Moffat's "Space Below My Feet" ( http://www.womenclimb.co.uk/space-below-my-feet-gwen-moffat-book-review/ ) is also a good read.
 Bobling 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

The first book I ever read about climbing was "Clouds from both sides" by Julie Tullis, it really affected me at the time, especially as somehow I got to the end without realising she died on K2 so that blew me away. I must have been about 13 (possibly younger). Worth a punt anyway.
- cheap as chips on Amazon for a second hand copy.
 pebbles 10 Jun 2014
In reply to Mark Kemball:

hmm. was given showell styles children's books at a similar ageby (non climbing ) parents as a child and tbh thought they were awful . stylistically dated in a sub-enid blyton adventure sort of way, very 1950s, as an adult id probably now find them charmingly retro but as a kid they made me cringe.
 Bobling 11 Jun 2014
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Love the way the cover of the book is tilted to make it look harder - but it is a painting!
In reply to Flinticus:

Hmm. Had a really good look through all the books I have (which are probably not very representative, being in large part mid-20th century). I still can't find anything which would be of particular interest to a teenager, save for the big photo books. When I look back, the ones that grabbed me most were the legends - Classic/Hard Rock, Big Ron's books; even Herzog on Annapurna. But then, we didn't have Nintendos, colour photography was invented specially for Extreme Rock and I was a weird little spod.

I think if you want to encourage your niece, it might be better to:

a) take her climbing outdoors
b) buy her a video

Sorry.

Martin
 Joe G 11 Jun 2014
In reply to maisie:

> I think the dearth of replies speak for themselves: climbing literature tends to be incredibly dull

Yeah, I seem to remember trying to read John Hunt's "Ascent of Everest" when I was a young teenager and getting bogged down in the dullness...

A while since I read it, but Touching The Void is short and easy to read. Maybe not a great one for encouraging folk into the great outdoors though!
OP Flinticus 11 Jun 2014
In reply to maisie:

Well, she lives in London, so I can't take her out (also I'd prefer to wait till she's older and can carry her fair share!!).

A DVD is a good idea (though too late now for this year)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...