UKC

climbing with kids in the Highlands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
duntelchaig midge 12 Jun 2014
I'm looking for somewhere to potter about with my wee boy. It doesn't have to be a fully established site with loads of routes just somewhere that he can get used to moving on rock with a rope. We live in Nairn but I'm happy to drive a wee bit with him. We're also camping around the Highlands at times so looking further afield.
Cummingston is only 25mins away but might be a bit steep and high for him. Something without a long approach would also be good. He's only 4 but wants to try it.
 Heike 12 Jun 2014
In reply to duntelchaig midge:

Hi there, got a 4 almost five year old boy myself and we have been taking him to many crags all over scotland. quite often the routes best for him are the descent routes or broken down bits either sides of the crag.We just say they are kids routes and he can give them a new name for first ascent and he loves it. having said that there are also some which are good for him, gruinard loch tollaidh crags e.g. Or raasay northern end crags.
 DerwentDiluted 13 Jun 2014

Inveralligin sea cliffs in torridon would be worth visiting if in the area, road and seaside, short and mostly easy. Possibly not worth the drive just to visit.
 Mark Bull 13 Jun 2014

Not sure if these are also too big for now:

Duntelchaig Pinnacle (hopefully without the midges!!)
Kingussie Crag

AlH 13 Jun 2014
In reply to duntelchaig midge: Another fun option to keep him moving. Just take a rope and body belay from a good braced stance… follow your nose and the eroded paths between steps: http://alanhalewood.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/halewood-clan-on-scimitar-ridge....
 Steve Perry 13 Jun 2014

I take my girls regularly (7&10) and we find Logie Head is great, lots of rock pools to play around as well. Creag Bheag on the Mound is also kid friendly as is the platform area at Auckengill (short 8m climbs).
 Joak 13 Jun 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

A wee bit further east than Logie Head at Portsoy I enjoyed a great day out at a very quiet Redhythe Point with my son when he was a ten year old. Maybe not a classic venue but loads of Diffs and Vdiffs to play about on. Never been back since although I'll probably end up there for a days soloing this summer when it's poor out west.
 Davy Virdee 19 Jun 2014
In reply to AlH:

Would concur with Al - keep them moving and keep it fun. v.small craggy outcrops with a short (I have a five metre section) of rope and a good braced stance at the top. Has also the advantage you can "play climbing" anywhere (at the beach, on a walk, at a picnic, anything) by sticking the harness and short rope in the rucksack.

My daughter is the same age as Heike's little boy, but she doesn't have the patience to "go cragging", so we have to keep it fun and constantly "on the go". Plus, I've usually got my daughter's little brother in the child carrier on my back so I have to walk round to the top of the "mountain" first before flicking the rope around and "belaying" her up. Seems to work. Found her climbing the stairs using a banana as an ice axe this week...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...