UKC

Condiditons on Dubh Loch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MikeR 15 Jun 2014

Did anybody wonder in to have a look at the Dubh Loch over the weekend? Anyone know if it's dry at the moment? Thinking of taking a look on Wednesday.

Any info on the conditions on other high mountain crags in the Cairngorms also useful.
Cheers.
Post edited at 19:58
 IanMcC 15 Jun 2014
In reply to MikeR:

Without having been there, I am certain the Dubh Loch is very wet, as always.
OP MikeR 15 Jun 2014
In reply to IanMcC:

Thank you for that informative relpy! I was refering to Creag an Dubh Loch, rather than the loch itself!
 doz 15 Jun 2014
In reply to MikeR:
Were on Eagles Rock thursday Mike....much seepage on Creag an Dubh-Loch!
I would give it a day or two yet!
Post edited at 22:20
 Joe G 15 Jun 2014
In reply to MikeR:

> Any info on the conditions on other high mountain crags in the Cairngorms also useful.

For what it's worth, the snow in Coire an t-Sneachda was surprisingly hard on Saturday... we managed to get past it by step-cutting but crampons would have been helpful!

OP MikeR 15 Jun 2014
In reply to doz:

Thanks doz. How was Eagles Rock?
OP MikeR 15 Jun 2014
In reply to Joe G:

Thanks for that. Was there much around at the base/approach to the crags?
 doz 16 Jun 2014
In reply to MikeR:

> Thanks doz. How was Eagles Rock?

Immaculate! Dries fast.
 Joe G 16 Jun 2014
In reply to MikeR:

Aye, quite a bit. We were heading for Pygmy Ridge so knew we¡¦d have to cross snow to get to it, but there are quite big snow aprons around the bases of the crags. The bottom left toe of Aladdin¡¦s Buttress is accessible without crossing snow but most of the crag has an icey white band below it. An axe would definitely be necessary for Mess of Potage, I was surprised how firm the snow was considering how warm the weather was. I can¡¦t speak for seepage on the crags because it was raining at the time!
 Lamb 16 Jun 2014
In reply to MikeR:

Not sure if it is of interest to you, but you will still need an axe for pretty much all approaches on Lochnagar.
OP MikeR 16 Jun 2014
In reply to Lamb:
Thanks all. Useful info there. I think Eagle Rock with a look at Dubh Loch in case there's any dry streaks sounds like a plan.
Cheers.
Post edited at 20:36
 Michael Gordon 16 Jun 2014
In reply to MikeR:

If it stays dry you could be lucky. Mousetrap usually dries quite fast anyhow.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...