UKC

DNR Orders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 17 Jun 2014
A hugely emotive issue but doctors are now required to inform relatives if they wish to use a DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) order on a patient.

Having recently had dealings with the issues involved I was wondering what others thought.

Personally I don't think distressed relatives are in the right frame of mind to make an objective and rational decision on DNR. Also I can sees lot of cases ending up in expensive court cases with the sick relative 'bed blocking' much need resources.
In reply to Indy:

I think I'd like to know if I wasn't going to recieve CPR or not. Just because a doctor didn't think it was in my best interest is not a good enough reason. I don't think a lot of people realise that performing CPR on someone carries significant risks to the patient that they might not recover from and that fact could mean they wouldn't be able to make an informed decision. Coupled with the fact that they would be distressed because their loved one is on deaths door does not bode well for involving them in the DNR decision.
Removed User 18 Jun 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

I may be misinterpreting your post but you seem to be pushing both sides of the argument…many patients in that situation can't make a truly informed decision & it is likewise difficult for relatives as well: agreed patients & relatives ought to be told, but most of the public don't have an accurate idea of what the chances of survival & decent post-ROSC (return of spontaneous circulation) life are, having been brought up on fantastical CPR results on Casualty/Holby/ER. (for that reason, I prefer DNAR - do not attempt…)
Ultimately the patient care team (& it won't just be 'a doctor' that makes the decision) will be doing the CPR so they kind of have to make the decision as to whether it's in your best interests...
 Ava Adore 18 Jun 2014
In reply to Indy:

I think many people would love to have the responsibility for this one taken out of their hands. I certainly would.
 John Lewis 18 Jun 2014
In reply to Indy:

Been there, just about a year ago now.

It was easier than I thought, because I knew their wishes.

The fact that the care home and hospital f%$&ed it up first time around and prolonged the issue moving from choaked and over quickly to stabilised and allowed to fade away through inability to eat, over two weeks was harder.

A living will was in place, I had to go (drive 3 hours) to confirm the wish having seen my mother in hospital which she had expressly stated she did not want to be taken to, and try to explain to her, at the time frightened and feeling her wishes had been betrayed. She was unable to speak only communicate by looks.

These documents are good, but you cant always stop to read them at the critical moment. Someone at the time in authority at the home needed to know. I think in my situation they had the tougher decision.
 j0ntyg 18 Jun 2014
In reply to Indy:

> Personally I don't think distressed relatives are in the right frame of mind to make an objective and rational decision on DNR. Also I can sees lot of cases ending up in expensive court cases with the sick relative 'bed blocking' much need resources.

Depends on how rational and sensible the family is. Some will see it practically others emotionally. Myself, rather than bed blocking and knowing that I'm soon gone, would like the legal right to ask the doctor to see me off with a gentle injection.

j0ntyg 18 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed User:
>

> "I may be misinterpreting your post but you seem to be pushing both sides of the argument"

He asked for opinions for and against.

"Having recently had dealings with the issues involved I was wondering what others thought".

That is called open free discussion which includes both sides.
In reply to Indy:

In this case, the doctor made the right decision as evidenced by the reinstatement of the DNR once the family had it explained to them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...