UKC

wild swimming spots near Leek

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mark s 18 Jun 2014
could anyone point me towards good open water spots in roaches/leek area.
mate at work is keen to try some.
 Durbs 18 Jun 2014
In reply to mark s:

Doxy's Pool is actually mentioned in a friends' wild swimming book...

Given you have to wade through a fair amount of cow-pats to get to it, I can't see why.
OP mark s 18 Jun 2014
In reply to Durbs:

i mentioned doxeys to him but said its no deeper than waist deep.
 Dave Garnett 18 Jun 2014
In reply to mark s:

I guess the obvious places would be Tittesworth or Rudyard but I think swimming is banned at both. There's the pool by the Mermaid but you'd need to be desperate.
 Banned User 77 18 Jun 2014
In reply to mark s:

Rudyard, there's plenty of reservoirs but its normally banned.. if you stay away from the walls they are normally safe. But some of the reservoirs in the forests should be OK as they'll not be checked as much.

Winsford flash?

When did 'open water' become 'wild' swimming?
 ebygomm 18 Jun 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

Most of the 'wild swimming' spots described in books and the like would more accurately be described as wild bathing. Not much swimming to be done.
 Banned User 77 18 Jun 2014
In reply to ebygomm:

Yeah I've swam a fair few lakes in Snowdonia.. most area pretty shallow. My ex is trying to swim every lake in Snowdonia, some are just belly crawls by the sounds of it…

I enjoy swimming out at sea, and swum in Padarn a fair bit.. which had pollution issues.. but never understood this sudden re-branding..

The best job I ever had was swimming the rivers of Maine in the fall searching for mussels.. I'd spend my days just drifting down wide rivers flowing through new england woodlands just as the foliage turned..
 deepsoup 18 Jun 2014
In reply to IainRUK:
When I were a lad "wild swimming" and "open water swimming" were both just called swimming.

No use if actual swimming is the object, but if a quick dip in a river somewhere nice would suffice there are some pretty little pools (Panniers Pool?) by Three Shires Head.
Heck of a lot nicer than wading through the silt at Doxeys anyway. (Cruel suggestion that, might as well send the poor bugger to Lawrencefield.
 The New NickB 18 Jun 2014
In reply to mark s:

This is quite a useful site

http://wildswim.com
 PTatts 18 Jun 2014
In reply to mark s:

Can't exactly do lengths but 3 shires head is a lovely spot for a dip
OP mark s 18 Jun 2014
In reply to PTatts:

he is keen to try a dip at 3 shireshead
 Skol 18 Jun 2014
In reply to mark s:
There's the Cauldon Canal. Bit of a lake at the leek end where the barges turn?

Robert Durran 19 Jun 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> When did 'open water' become 'wild' swimming?

When did "swimming" become "wild swimming"?
Almost as irritating as "wild camping".

Carolyn 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Almost as irritating as "wild camping".

Which, according to the NT 50 things to do before you're 11 3/4, should take place on a NT Wild Campsite.......
 andi turner 19 Jun 2014
In reply to mark s:

When I take the kids, it tends to be cauldon canal or three shires head. They also tend to swim a lot when they fall off the swing in Dimmingsdale.
 Gordonbp 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Skol:

That'll be three feet deep with at least a foot of silt at the bottom and the risk of all sorts of stuff having been thrown in there - broken glass mainly I should think.
 Skol 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Gordonbp:

Correct. With the odd dead dog
We used to cycle to manifold valley and dovedale too, which had some good pools in the river. Risky and very cold. I wouldn't do it now.
In reply to mark s:

Thread hijack:

Amyone else doing the Dart 10K this year?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...