UKC

Home network problem/question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 18 Jun 2014
Hi, I've got a home network setup via my wireless router, and normally all my devices play nice.

However, I've noticed that when I transfer files from my desktop pc to my laptop all my wireless devices (other than the laptop) loose their connectivity (but remain actually connected) as if all the band width is taken up by the transfer. What I don't understand is that when I transfer files the other way (laptop to desktop) I don't have this problem - the transfer speed is the same in each direction.

Any way I can get round this problem?
 Jim Fraser 19 Jun 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

What operating systems are you using?

I have XP, Win7 and Win7(64) all trying to work together and it crazy trying to keep everything talking to each other.
OP balmybaldwin 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Jim Fraser:

laptop is windows 8.1, desktop is on xp
 Jim Fraser 19 Jun 2014

> laptop is windows 8.1, desktop is on xp

I think you should research the effect of that difference.
In reply to Jim Fraser:

I could understand it if it was the same in both directions, or if I got a greatly increased speed in the direction that swamps my wifi but I don't.
 The Lemming 19 Jun 2014

I never really got XP to play nicely with windows 7 in a home network.

5tormin' 19 Jun 2014

Try this:-1. Start ------ msconfig.exe
2. Select “General” ------------- “Selective Startup” ----------- No Tick “Load Startup Item” --- “Apply”
3. Select “Services” ------------- “Hide all Microsoft Services” ----------- “Disable all” ------ “OK”
4. Restart .
In reply to 5tormin':

On which PC? and doen't this just minimise the services running, and therefore have no effect on netwrok bandwidth being used? (Or are you implying that one of my services could be causing the issue?)
5tormin' 19 Jun 2014

On your desktop pc,In many cases your anti virus
causes conflicts with services.When you restart recheck what services you want to run on Startup.
Removed User 19 Jun 2014
In reply to 5tormin':

I don't understand how this can help him.

For Baldwin: How are these devices set up? Internal wireless card on the desktop/laptop or does the desktop use a usb dongle?

TBH it sounds like an issue with the way the network sharing is set up. This goes a long way to explaining why things are screwing up desktop > laptop but not the other way around, winxp doesn't play well with later versions of windows in a lot of networking situations. A couple of things you might check though:

Do they run the same antivi (if any) with the same settings - they both allow all network traffic?

Are both machines in the same workgroup?

Is the windows firewall enabled on both or a mixture?

Can't advise much more than that really. This is literally the worse combo you could run, outdated xp and shitty 8.1 =/
 itsThere 19 Jun 2014

Is your desktop next to the router
5tormin' 19 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed User:
If I were you I would go through and check different startup services to see which ones are affecting you. Another option would be to check your event viewer for errors around the time your internet stops working. It definitely sounds like its McAfee or Norton throwing a fit and blocking all traffic, you could try re installing it or switching AV products.
In reply to 5tormin':

It's my phone, tablet that loose connection though
5tormin' 20 Jun 2014

Hand's up,I should have read your post more closely.But the same principle applies.Kill all running apps on your phone and tablet,turn wifi off then on, then enable each app individually until you find the cause.Same thing happened with my tablet/phone with an app called juice defender,a battery saver,until i altered its settings.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...