UKC

Why is 51 interesting

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Duncan Bourne 20 Jun 2014
In my copy of David Wells "curious and interesting numbers" he says that 51 is the smallest number that is uninteresting. However QI said it was 11630 so who is right?
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

I find the number 16 to be deeply tedious. Don't ever let it near the brandy, or it'll tell the most godawfully racist stories about its cleaner.

51 Is a hoot and a delight.

Martin
 DaveHK 20 Jun 2014

It'll be something to do with primes or cubes.

1729 is pretty fascinating if you believe Srinivasa Ramanujan

There are no uninteresting numbers.

Proof:
Assume there are uninteresting numbers. Let x be the first (lowest value) uninteresting number.

Then x is interesting *because* it is the first uninteresting number. So the assumption that there are uninteresting numbers implies a contradiction.
 Duncan Beard 20 Jun 2014

I just cycled to a country pub & had a great pint of 'Sur Votre Velo'
 Martin W 20 Jun 2014

How can triple 17 possibly be uninteresting? A jolly useful number if you're a darts player.
 Ramblin dave 21 Jun 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

> It'll be something to do with primes or cubes.

> 1729 is pretty fascinating if you believe Srinivasa Ramanujan

A friend of mine when I was an undergrad was in the maths department, trying to get into a specific computer room which had a four digit entrance code that he didn't know. He asked a passing postgrad who told him that it was the smallest number that's expressible as a sum of two cubes in two different ways, so he immediately tapped in 1729 and walked in. He only realized later how amazing that scene would have looked to someone who didn't know that pretty much all mathematicians know the Ramanujan taxicab story by heart...
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

> There are no uninteresting numbers.

> Proof:

> Assume there are uninteresting numbers. Let x be the first (lowest value) uninteresting number.

> Then x is interesting *because* it is the first uninteresting number. So the assumption that there are uninteresting numbers implies a contradiction.

That's so feeble. It's logical, yes, but it's just so feeble.

Robert Durran 21 Jun 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> That's so feeble. It's logical, yes, but it's just so feeble.

I think it's quite a good mathematical joke.
OP Duncan Bourne 21 Jun 2014

Ah QI had already discounted that argument due to that very paradox
 hang_about 21 Jun 2014

I'm 51 years old this year. There's only a small number of people interested in that - maybe just one.
 Tom Last 21 Jun 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

> It'll be something to do with primes or cubes.

That's where 51 went wrong, crimes and pubes would have been more interesting.
 Martin W 21 Jun 2014

> Ah QI had already discounted that argument due to that very paradox

Ah indeed: QI, the ultimate authority on all things.

So much so, that they recently had to revise the scores awarded in all previous programmes due to…well, basically because the just-out-of-college researchers they use are a bunch of credulous, lazy smartarses who simply choose the first 'fact' they find online which contradicts the general belief, and run with that.

I wouldn't take anything stated on QI as being definitive.

In the case of the uninteresting numbers argument, the paradox is the argument, so saying that the argument is invalid because it is paradoxical is utterly and completely missing the point.
OP Duncan Bourne 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Martin W:

Oh I quite agree that the least interesting number is by definition interesting.

However I was wondering why 51 was no longer the first least interesting number (interesting in an earlier edition of the same book it was 39, it is tempting to think that it is a kind of receding mirrors trick, ie the first LIN becomes interesting because it is the first so then the second LIN becomes the first but then that is therefore interesting and so on and so forth. However I can't imagine a publisher upping the anti purely on the basis of that argument)
 Philip 22 Jun 2014
Leaving aside QI and the ''paradox", 51 is interesting as it is a pentagonal number.

I think QI were using the definition on uninteresting to mean an integer not appearing in any sequence listed in the On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences.
OP Duncan Bourne 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

Ah mystery solved
 Chris the Tall 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Martin W:

> I wouldn't take anything stated on QI as being definitive.

It's entertainment ! The fact that it stimulates thinking and interest is a bonus - admittedly a very good one. I reckon one of the best program's from my youth was Johnny Ball's Think of a number and QI is almost a grown up version of that.

As to the researchers - they now have their own podcast - no such thing as a fish - that is also very good.

Also, to paraphrase Brian cox - another entertainer - the more you know, the more you realise you don't know.
 Chris the Tall 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Not heard that story before, thanks for mentioning it

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1729_(number)
 Robert Durran 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

> Leaving aside QI and the ''paradox", 51 is interesting as it is a pentagonal number.

Well spotted! 51=36+15 (6 squared + 5th triangular number)
Definitely interesting.
 lowersharpnose 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

I think QI were using the definition on uninteresting to mean an integer not appearing in any sequence listed in the On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences.

One of the sequences is the list of all numbers not appearing in the OIEIS.
 Dror1 22 Jun 2014

Yes, but why would there be no uninteresting rationals ? Your proof does not work for them.
In reply to Dror1:

> Yes, but why would there be no uninteresting rationals ? Your proof does not work for them.

I'm not a mathematician, its not my proof. I think I read it in one of Martin Gardner's books when I was a kid.

My guess is the proof could be made to work for rationals because rationals are a countable set.

It probably doesn't work for real numbers though. There are plenty of boring real numbers

Brass Nipples 22 Jun 2014

It's palindromic in base 2

Dror1 23 Jun 2014

The rationals are countable but there is no minimal or maximal number, therefore the proof would depend on the mapping to the naturals, so different mappings would produce different interesting uninteresting rationals in an arbitrary manner, so you would have to define interesting regarding the rationals in a broader way then the naturals, say in relation to the natural mapping.. ('snake' in a grid map)
 MG 24 Jun 2014

If 51 is truly uninteresting, isn't -51 also uninteresting but smaller?
 GrahamD 24 Jun 2014

51 has to be interesting. After all it has a UKC thread all of its own.
In reply to Dror1:

> The rationals are countable but there is no minimal or maximal number, therefore the proof would depend on the mapping to the naturals, so different mappings would produce different interesting uninteresting rationals in an arbitrary manner,

Let's have a go

Assume that there exist uninteresting rational numbers x.

Let rational x = n/d, (n whole,d natural, d > 0).

a. There are no uninteresting rational numbers for any chosen value of d (since d is fixed the smallest rational number with denominator d is the one with the smallest n). The smallest uninteresting rational with denominator d is interesting *because* it is the smallest 'uninteresting' rational number with denominator d.

b. Since there no uninteresting rational numbers for all values of d there are no uninteresting rational numbers.

Jim Fraser 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Not 9191 then?
 Ramblin dave 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Jim Fraser:

> Not 9191 then?

Of course, the combination for the sound engineers' cupboard would be 1212...
 Dror1 25 Jun 2014

not bad..
conclusion all numbers are interesting ? )
cos irrationals are always interesting by default..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...