UKC

Best email provider

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 johnwright 21 Jun 2014
As the title says, what is the best email provider, I am using Hotmail and Gmail at the moment.

regards John
needvert 21 Jun 2014
In reply to johnwright:

Paid or free?

I'd be surprised if there was a free service better than gmail.
Removed User 21 Jun 2014
In reply to needvert:

Depends on how you're defining 'better'. If you have any interest in privacy you'd laugh at the idea of Gmail being better than anything.
 ThunderCat 21 Jun 2014
In reply to johnwright:

I use gmail. I think the 'look' of the front end is terrible and the whole interface could do with a massive overhaul...but it's free, reliable and since I really only ever send trivial crap it suits me fine.

steveb2006 21 Jun 2014
In reply to johnwright:

Gmail fine - use with thunderbird client for a better interface
In reply to johnwright:

It's definitely not hotmail/Outlook. Pile of steaming turd. Gmail FTW.
 Hooo 21 Jun 2014
In reply to johnwright:

I've got Hotmail ( now Outlook ), gmail and yahoo. I like hotmail the best. Nice and simple works fine with all clients. Gmail web UI is shite and the Android client is unusable, so not as good as Hotmail but can be used ok with 3rd party email clients. Yahoo is utterly appalling, just don't bother trying it.
 Hooo 21 Jun 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

What's your problem with Hotmail?
OP johnwright 21 Jun 2014
In reply to Hooo:

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'll stay with Gmail, my better half only uses hotmail.

In reply to Hooo:

Apart from being slow I find it gets filtered more often to recipient's trash than Gmail it filters incoming emails that I've previously set as non junk. It's interface keeps getting changed. Did I also mention it's crap?
 Hooo 21 Jun 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Never noticed it being slow, and never had a problem with real mail going to junk. I have had problems with mails I sent being filtered though. I think Hotmail does have a reputation for being hacked to send spam, so tends to get filtered aggressively. I only recall the UI changing once or twice in the 20 years I've had an account, but then I stuck to the classic one for as long as possible and so probably missed all that . The current web UI is far better than the awful Gmail one.
 markAut 21 Jun 2014
In reply to johnwright:

The problem with free services is that they need to make money somehow and, be it advertising or selling your info for other reasons, you are paying one way or another. Having said that I think I've given all rights to Google now anyway.
I use my ISP for email and am very happy with it. Especially having the ability to create and destroy addresses as I need. Will be hard when I change ISP, but have no plans to do that soon.
 Jim Fraser 21 Jun 2014
In reply to johnwright:

Using pipex legacy account(now part of talktalk) for personal and some work stuff and it works very well either with Thunderbird, webmail or a phone app. Also a Netscape legacy address (now AOL) which works great with Thunderbird and the phone app but is a bit of a pain on the AOL webmail.

Using a googlemail address for some work stuff and it's a pain through webmail and must slower than Netscape-AOL with an email client. Yahoo? Hotmail? Just don't start me. Useless, slow and intrusive.

I have had some email accounts for 13 or 15 years. Many Yahoo users will be familiar with those timescales since that's similar to the time it takes to find the Yahoo email you want and get it to open.
 nufkin 22 Jun 2014
In reply to johnwright:

I've been using GMX for a while - seems fine for a free provider. Can't remember how I came across it, but it seems reasonably likely to continue
 whenry 23 Jun 2014
In reply to higherclimbingwales: Whereas I find that Gmail is atrocious at spam filtering and just let's everything through... I've given up on it and use Outlook (though in reality I use my work e-mail address for just about everything).
 Sharp 24 Jun 2014
In reply to johnwright:

Not sure there's much between them all. I've used gmx for about 10 years and it's fine, it's not as popular as others so I can have an address that's just my full name, you can use it to manage other accounts and i think you can have a few different addresses with them, like most browser based emails the UI is pretty hungry and clunky but I just use outlook with it anyway so it doesn't matter. Maybe like 2 or 3 times since I started using it the browser version goes offline for a while but I've always had pop access. Not sure what else you need.
 mbh 24 Jun 2014
In reply to whenry:
I use bt for anything where I have to register and give out my address, gmail for personal things, and work for work. I get almost no spam on the gmail, or none that I notice, some on the bt address, but use of filters to direct stuff into folders manages that well enough for me, and loads of spam at work, where I daily find myself unsubscribing from things I don't want.
Post edited at 07:37

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...