UKC

New West Highland Way Race record...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 J Brown 21 Jun 2014
Earlier today Paul Giblin won the WHW race - he took 45 minutes off his own record from last year, finishing in a quite sensational 14hours, 20minutes.

Extraordinary!
 Gawyllie 21 Jun 2014
In reply to J Brown:

very impressive!
 kwoods 21 Jun 2014
In reply to J Brown:

Absolutely mental - wow!
 Banned User 77 22 Jun 2014
In reply to J Brown:

Just superb, and Robbie Briton ran 14:47, well under the old record as well.. incredible runs by them both.. its so strong now in UK ultra running..

sub 17 hour winning times, even all the top 3 are getting to be the norm…

I still think we need more incentive for it to get class stacked fields like in Western States, UTMB, Hard rock..

I'd love to run again but I do think the support needed puts people off.. I doubt I'll race it again for that reason now I'm a yank..
 steelbru 23 Jun 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

I can see the support runner requirement for the mid-pack to back-of-pack runners being a good idea - some of these guys/gals are out for 2 nights, start hallucinating badly, get a bit disorientated, etc.

But the guys/gals at the sharp-end are not allowed support runners, so their only function is to provide food, drinks etc at check points, plus a bit of motivation obviously - drop-bags would easily solve the supplies and the fast folk shouldn't really need a motivational talk at CPs.

I guess the problem is how to decide who does and who doesn't need a support runner - if you did it on times at previous WHW runs it still wouldn't attract new elites, so would have to just be at the discretion of the race director.
 Banned User 77 23 Jun 2014
In reply to steelbru:

TBH i don't think a support runner is needed… its such a good trail now, but I'd just make it anyone out for that second night cannot carry on without support..

Its getting so quick guys like Robbie and Paul are finished a full 7-8 hours before darkness..

I just think it puts off runners, in the US such rules are mocked as molly coddling.. its very much just run and DNF if you have issues..

Despite the litigious nature ultra and trail running is far less regulated than in the UK.
 petestack 23 Jun 2014
In reply to J Brown:

> Extraordinary!

Mind-blowing!

In reply to IainRUK:

> TBH i don't think a support runner is needed… its such a good trail now, but I'd just make it anyone out for that second night cannot carry on without support..

Sounds fair enough (and I didn't take a support runner for my *much* slower time), but...

> I just think it puts off runners, in the US such rules are mocked as molly coddling.. its very much just run and DNF if you have issues..

I don't really care what US folk think about the rules. I personally hate drop bags, think the WHW Race support system very much part of the race feel and tradition, and reckon if Hiroki Ishikawa can get fixed up with the support crew he hadn't twigged he'd needed when already practically on the plane from Japan the same's possible for anyone who wants to do it enough. So, sure, perhaps you could make concessions for visiting superstars, but have to say I'd be torn there when it's not a big field (max. 200 starters) with plenty of folk here already both wanting to run it and happy to comply.

In reply to petestack:
yeah I understand the family feel thing.. its just for non scots its just a huge expense, and TBH that japanese guy was a last minute issue as he thought it was supported..

Of course you can put together a support crew but you'd not have the same trust and I think it would impact on your race, it would me.. you want crew who know you and you can trust.

I'd just rather pay 50 quid more and have 5-8 support stations..

But yeah there's no drive to change things as the race is over subscribed.

Whats needed is another version of the race.. say like a challenge version..
Post edited at 22:39
 petestack 23 Jun 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> yeah I understand the family feel thing.. its just for non scots its just a huge expense, and TBH that japanese guy was a last minute issue as he thought it was supported..

Yep, bit of a misunderstanding there, but good to see it so happily resolved!

> Of course you can put together a support crew but you'd not have the same trust and I think it would impact on your race, it would me.. you want crew who know you and you can trust.

Absolutely! Which is why I spent weeks waiting for confirmation from one such instead of just advertising on the FB page when two of my regular (three-time) crew were unavailable.

> I'd just rather pay 50 quid more and have 5-8 support stations..

Which I'd concede would be miles better than drop bags!

> But yeah there's no drive to change things as the race is over subscribed.

> Whats needed is another version of the race.. say like a challenge version..

Groan! Funny, perhaps, but maybe better not to fuel that particular fire?

In reply to petestack:

>

> Groan! Funny, perhaps, but maybe better not to fuel that particular fire?

Seemed like it died out.. he killed it by being spiteful with the date clash. I think a supported winter race would be great.. I'd certainly come over for it.. similar style to the Spine challenger..
 petestack 23 Jun 2014
In reply to IainRUK:

> Seemed like it died out.. he killed it by being spiteful with the date clash.

And a fair bit more (eg website full of scurrilous allegations).

Passed several small-scale checkpoints discretely separated from the main race stops. Also heard he had six starters, but can't confirm.

So not necessarily dead, but clearly not hugely alive either!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...