UKC

3d printing companies, anyone used or recommend one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Loughan 22 Jun 2014

Hi All,
I need a mount for my eTrex Vista HCx and after some searching might be able to order it from the states or more excitingly and totally embracing the future I could get it printed as someone has knocked up a 3d design

As I'm not going to spend hundreds of pounds on a 3d printer I was wondering if anyone in the UKC massive had experience of using 3d printing companies and anything I should be asking such as plastic type, print direction and anything else I don't know (the unkown unknowns)

Thanks in advance
Post edited at 06:38
 GwilymR 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Loughan:

Shapeways is the only 3D printing company I know of and they have a good 'material selector' thing on their website. Print direction shouldn't be a concern as they are most likely using a powder rather than extrusion and therefore there isn't really a print direction.
 markAut 22 Jun 2014
In reply to Loughan:

Fablab are very good and generally have high end printers. All you pay for iirc is materials. There are fablabs around the country, so one may be close to you.
 underitall 22 Jun 2014
Another vote for https://www.shapeways.com/ from me, I've used them a good few times.
All you'll need to do is upload the 3D Model for an instant quote.
Only thing is the postage cost was about £10/$10, but may work out cheaper overall.
I would look at getting it printed in either Detailed Plastic or Strong & Flexible Plastic.
I've not used Shapeways or been on their forum for some time so not really sure what the Elasto Plastic is like, It depends on how the model has been made and how thick the walls are as to how rigid it'll be.
Hope this helps,
Tom.
OP Loughan 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Loughan:

Thanks folks, taking a look at the moment. Ideally someone would just print it for me.

Fablab looks good for getting into 3d printing but as working family man i can struggle to find time to get out the door let alone get along and make the item. Which is a shame as i'd love to give it a go.

Shapeways appears like Etsy of the 3d printing world which is fine if someone has made something you want but i've got the design and i need someone to make it. Maybe i've missed that part of the website

These people seem to do what i want but will probably charge 50 quid for the privilage
www.3dcreationlab.co.uk/

If i get it done i'll report back
 Gavin 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Loughan:

We have used this people http://www.3dprint-uk.co.uk/ for some work related prototypes and have been pleased with the results and customer service when there was a question on a particular part.

Gavin
 felixizzy 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Loughan:

3RDM are really good, especially if you go with their SLA. They will probably send you out some samples so you know what your getting too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...