UKC

Half Iron-man training?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 23 Jun 2014

I supported my mate doing the Forestman Iron-Man this weekend in the New Forest, and was awestruck at the guys and gals going for it. Had a quick look on-line only to find a half Iron-man in September.

I can do each of the disciplines independently, how do I stitch them together inside four months?

I'm guessing sole training during the week (either swim, cycle or run) but joining two together each day of the weekend when I have more time.

Sound about right? Or could you point me in the direction of a schedule more suited to what I want.

Many thanks, TtB

Edit: Or have I bitten off more than I can chew and should enter a standard tri first - there's a New Forest one in October
Post edited at 11:59
 Loughan 23 Jun 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Training peaks has loads of plans and could be a good place to start, you should be able to filter by 'first time 1/2 iMan' and then review the proposed schedule to see if the volumes look like something you can handle.

If you can do all 3 disciplines in the required distance already then just do it but relax and enjoy the day
In reply to Loughan:

Excellent - I'll take a look, thanks
 JamButty 23 Jun 2014

Think about nutrition for that distance you'll be on the go 6+ hrs or so.

practice running off the bike and get into open water its very different than a pool
In reply to JamButty:

Thanks for these tips.

Nutrition nutrition nutrition is what I'm looking into right now.

I live in Christchurch so I'm ideally located, I swim in the sea 2-3 times a week, run and cycle in the forest. Your advice about running from bike is a good one, I did a sprint tri a couple of years ago and cramped up when I started running.

Thanks again
 jethro kiernan 23 Jun 2014

as above, a few bike to runs, and nutrition, get used to gels and energy bars and stick to one that suits you, lots of people have bad experiences with freebie gels and powders because the body reacts badly to the unfamiliar when under the stresses that a long event can put it under.
 StefanB 23 Jun 2014

I have gone from no triathlon experience to half IM this year. Did an olympic distance first in May, then a sprint a couple of weeks later, both just to get some experience. The weekend before last I did the half. I am glad I did a couple of shorter ones in the preparation, helps with the nerves. In the end I did 5h42m which I was extremely pleased with.

As has been said, practise open water swimming. Also do a couple of longish bike rides after which you go for a run straight away. Running of the bike can be awkward. Apart from this work on the weaknesses. I struggle on the bike, I usually get out of the water early, but then people just fly by. So I did loads of cycling.
Get all the transition stuff sorted out before hand. Even if you are not to too worried about loosing a couple of minutes in a first event, it still helps the mental side of thing, if you know what to do.

ClimberEd 24 Jun 2014

Should be easy - 4 months is a lot of time to train - I did my first on 5 weeks noticed.

If you can do the distances the key points (as many people have said) are:

- food - for a half IM you want to eat and drink a bit on the bike (work out what is best for you) , perhaps expect to take one or two gels on the run
- Open water and wetsuit swimming - practice. Wetsuit is like being turbo charged. Siting is important, practice aiming for a target and swimming to it.
- Practice moving (running) straight out of a swim. I have to use earplugs to stop me being too dizzy otherwise I simply can't stand up and fall over
- Practice running off the bike - just 15minutes at race pace is enough if you don't have time for me.

Training wise, mix up longer session with some intervals.

Oh, and enjoy it

In reply to all:

Guys, non-gender specific , firstly, many thanks for taking the time to comment. Sorry I'm late getting back to you work has been a tad manic this week, hey-ho the weekend draws near.

Regarding open water, I'm covered on that as I get to sea swim a couple of 100m from home so get in the water 2 or 3 times a week.
Nutrition is one that I've been looking into, and it appears to be a minefield... do I go for caffeine, sugar, calories, speed or any other?
I will practice cycle to run as often as I can, maybe even just throwing my bike into the garage, changing shoes and giving myself a few km to see how I get on. When I did a sprint tri I struggled with cramp on the run.

I have to say that I'm having second thoughts about jumping straight into a half IM... there's also a standard tri just down the road from me in October... I'd appreciate thoughts on this option.

Thanks again. TtB
 StefanB 26 Jun 2014
> I have to say that I'm having second thoughts about jumping straight into a half IM... there's also a standard tri just down the road from me in October... I'd appreciate thoughts on this option.

Well, as I have said above, I was happy I had done an olympic distance triathlon before, but from a fitness point of view there is no reason you can't prepare yourself adequately in the time available, if you have a certain base. Are you used to performing at a relatively high intensity for 5-6 hours?
I don't know about your location, but where I live (Spanish med) I can do a triathlon every weekend in summer within 2 hours driving distance, so it was easy for me to just find an olympic distance preparation race. Maybe you can find yourself a test race in a couple of months time.
Post edited at 13:40
 JamButty 26 Jun 2014

I've only done Oly, although Slateman is quite a tough one, but when training I always did a run after being on my bike, even if it was for just 1km - just became a habit so you're used to it.

Main thing everyone will tell you with nutrition is its personal. You need to replenish your calories. I also use electrolytes in drinks for salt balancing.
Gels I find good, but take a while to settle in my stomach and I have thrown them up before.
I've currently got a "race pack" from High 5 that I got cheap and I'm working my way through those

Lots of people make their own nibbles.

If you're happy doing HM's then I'm sure you'll be fine with training
In reply to StefanB:

That's a pretty good idea, Steff. I live on the South coast a few minutes from the sea and a 10 minute cycle ride into the New Forest so I could conceivably attempt my own measured tri

I read your thread from earlier in the year and there's lots of top tips on there as well. I think you are way ahead of me on many levels, I'm an overweight 49 y/o bloke with arthritis in toes, ankles and knees. However I'm not letting any of that stop me, I will do one of the tri's, but I think, as you say, I need to get out and find where I'm at.

Thank you, Tony

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...