UKC

Boot repairs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LeeWood 23 Jun 2014
Having rounded up my collection of broken boots (mostly lightweights) I found that not one was hillworthy, in need of resoling or re-glueing. So I took them, along with an assortment of other shoes to a repairer who resoles rockboots here in France and presented them with some optimism.

But no, he wasn't interested. The only boots which are now worth repairing are hefty 3-layer soled stiff boots of an older genre. I was genuinely shocked. All the footwear had unbroken leather uppers but all that material was just waste - for the sake of a few stitches or a bit of glue.

So is this just a french problem? Which modern boots are most repairable?
 jon 23 Jun 2014
In reply to LeeWood:

> So is this just a french problem?

Photos. We need photos.
OP LeeWood 25 Jun 2014
In reply to jon:

Well I could photograph them. Just imagine a puppet stand with the boots playing as ravenous sharks

The repair is the sort of task which might be done at home, but access is always limited and dirt hard to remove. Furthermore flat contact to the sole material is limited as most of it is a hollow matrix. Basically, modern footwear is optimised for automated cosntruction under ideal factory conditions and there is no design intent for maintenance. Not uncommon in many genres of consumer goods in our sad age
 The Potato 25 Jun 2014
In reply to LeeWood:
Ive reglued a sole with Araldite before and it outlasted the sole
I think it was the 24h set Araldite and secured it with electrical / black tape.
Post edited at 09:36

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...