UKC

ACL & PCL knee reconstruction

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I broke my knee in February in minor bouldering fall. I ve ruptured my ACL & PCL . I ve had a very successful ACL reconstruction on the other knee following another bouldering injury so know the score with that. This surgeon seems keen to do the ACL recon but not bothered about the PCL but he says I can insist on having both done. Anyone had both or just ACL done leaving ruptured PCL - to what result? I would really like to get full range of movement and full stability back for climbing and work as tree surgeon and landscape gardener and wonder if just ACL is enough? thanks for any advice. I am told the surgeons very good but he doesn t seem to have much of an opinion and wants me to decide.Cheers for any advice
In reply to chanandler bong: When I did my PCL I did some research (and spoke to my surgeon).

It seems like with an "isolated" PCL tear you can manage it with physio. However, most times you smash your knee up you take out other ligaments too - the Postero-Lateral Corner (PLC) and maybe the LCL and MCL.

Have you made it 100% clear that you are a keen climber and tree surgeon? A lot of surgeons are happy enough to get you back to general mobility, rather than full recovery.

I got my PCL, LCL and PLC done and I'm glad I did. I will never have the full flexion range (I cannot "sit" on my heels anymore - I can only bend my knee as far as getting my foot to about 8" from my ass) but, my knee has survived two winter seasons of 80+ days/winter skiing and climbing with only the rare bit of soreness.

I'd say push to get it done.
 hamsforlegs 24 Jun 2014
In reply to chanandler bong:

There is not a ton of reliable data about PCL reconstruction. Outcomes both with and without tend to be fairly good, but anecdotally lots of very active people seem to find that without surgery their knee deteriorates quite quickly. This might well have happened with surgery though, so it's far from conclusive.

I badly tore my MCL and completely ruptured my PCL in Febuary 2012. Since then I've done a lot of hiking, skiing, climbing and gym work without any major issues. I didn't have surgery. Aggressive heel hooks, big drop knees and running downhill or on roads can all cause issues (aching or pain), so I now avoid them.

As Fultonius points out, the other structures in the knee are very important, and I was lucky that my MCL healed well, and that everything else was in very good shape. I was also quite strong in the legs before the injury and was able to rehab very aggressively.

I'm not convinced from reading about surgery that a PCL fix would actually solve the problems/limitations that I currently have. One thing that does play on my mind is that I am missing 'backup' in that knee. The PCL is a very large tendon that holds the entire knee together; if I take a big twisting fall, the other ligaments are at much greater risk of damage. If I was into highballing, or had a job that took me onto rough/slippery ground often, I would think about surgery for that reason alone.

All of this might give you some clue as to whether you could manage without PCL reconstruction. But this is only relevant if you think the risks and/or additional recovery time give you a reason to avoid it.

Fultonius might have some more insight on that side of things, and you might want to discsuss those things in detail with your surgeon so you can weigh the tradeoff properly.

I didn't really have the same choice, since
a) I didn't need surgery for any other reason, and
b) I would have had to pay for the op myself

Hope that helps, and good luck with the recovery.

In reply to Fultonius:

Thanks for your advice. Saw the surgeon and his team again today to decide if I needed the PCL as well as the ACL reconstructed after I'd been told I need an ACL recon months ago. Despite an MRI showing complete rupture of ACL and PCL & complex cartilage damage following dislocation and fractured knee plate, the surgeon came in gave knee a jiggle and said I don't need PCL reconstruction and don't need ACL unless I play football or squash then walked out of the room. Must be trying to meet some sort of budget I guess. I told the registrar i play football and they signed me up ! weird
In reply to chanandler bong:

Where are you based?

Not all knee surgeons are the same.

In reply to Dispater:
I live in Swanage in Dorset.I'm told surgeon's supposed to be the best at knee ops, Just guess he s got a crap bedside manner like a lot of doctors.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...