/ Coulson Guilty, Brooks et al walk free

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chris the Tall - on 24 Jun 2014
muppetfilter - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Because innocent people Destroy paperwork and hide laptops behind bins....

An utter travesty of Justice.
Gordon Stainforth - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to muppetfilter:

> An utter travesty of Justice.

Most of us have heard the minutest fraction of the evidence; and we have not yet heard how the judge directed the jury. There may be good technical reasons for this verdict.

muppetfilter - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Being married previously to Ross Kemp is the greatest indication of guilt and poor judgement I need. She either colluded or was incompetent in her job, the former is the most likely.

I rest my case M'Lud
pebbles - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
"There may be good technical reasons for this verdict." such as "it was all my editors fault, he never told me nuffink about it honest guv, just went off and did it by himself"
Gordon Stainforth - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to pebbles:

How about waiting until the details are better known? The jury would have listened to a lot of evidence apart from what RB said. Also, I don't recall seeing a complete transcript of the judge's summing up. (Has that been made available yet?)
gd303uk - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

And now for the profound apology .
Timmd on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
I suppose a lack of enough evidence to convict isn't the same as innocence.

I'm saying nothing apart from that. Mainly because I don't know anything. (:-))
Post edited at 13:15
JJL - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed - but that's just because I find Brroks a nasty piece of work and, regrettably, would have liked the schadenfreude.

Not a nice emotion but, hey, I reckon I'm not alone.
Gordon Stainforth - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Timmd:

> I suppose a lack of enough evidence to convict isn't the same as innocence.

Of course.
Andy Long - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I think the Scottish "Not Proven" verdict has much to recommend it.
johncook - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Maybe it's the old gangland form of justice. We all got caught, but if you say it was all your fault, and we were innocently implicated, we will club together to make your life after the sentence a rich and pleasant one?
rallymania - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Won't be long before Coulson faces another court case up here in Scotland.
cander - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to muppetfilter:

Phew - lucky you're not a judge. FWIW apart from singulari oculos Ross Kemp seems ok to me - I'd swap jobs.

MG - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Brookes was apparently led away by the "court matron". Do courts all have such a person, in case of tearful episodes?
pebbles - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Andy Long:

I think "The buck stops here" has a lot to recommend it in cases like this.
muppetfilter - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to pebbles:

> "There may be good technical reasons for this verdict." such as "it was all my editors fault, he never told me nuffink about it honest guv, just went off and did it by himself"

Not wishing to envoke Godwins Law but im pretty sure the "They did it without my knowing" Defence argument was repeatedly used at the Nurenberg War trial....

To reiterate my critical judgement about Ross Kemp ... May I introduce for the record Ultimate force...One of the worst pieces of televisual dross know to humanity.
balmybaldwin - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to muppetfilter:
> (In reply to pebbles)
> To reiterate my critical judgement about Ross Kemp ... May I introduce for the record Ultimate force...One of the worst pieces of televisual dross know to humanity.

That was indeed a terrible episode in his offending, but I feel he has made it up somewhat with his Gang stories, and especially the Afganistan stuff he did http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Kemp_in_Afghanistan I feel this should be taken as mitigation against some of the severity of the charge aforementioned
muppetfilter - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

You want the Truth .... you can't handle the Truth
Chris the Tall - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Most of us have heard the minutest fraction of the evidence; and we have not yet heard how the judge directed the jury. There may be good technical reasons for this verdict.

Had Coulson got off I'd have been very surprised - it would have meant the jury believed his "Do his phone" defence which was clearly laughable. I didn't think Charlie Brooks reasons for hiding his laptop were particularly credible either. But yes the trial lasted 8 months and we only heard snippets. You have to feel for the jury that had to sit through it all
Timmd on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:
Possibly quite interesting though? To hear details a lot of people wouldn't get to hear about journalism in this country, about how it was practised by some influential people.

Lots of boring detail I imagine too, but possibly quite interesting in parts.
Post edited at 22:00
Jim C - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to muppetfilter:

> Because innocent people Destroy paperwork and hide laptops behind bins....

> An utter travesty of Justice.

I thought they would at least charge her with attempting ( succeeding) to pervert the course of justice.
aln - on 24 Jun 2014
In reply to Timmd:

> Possibly quite interesting though?

Maybe but... Ever been in court? It's really slow and boring. Really trivial cases are draaaaaaaaged out.
Jim C - on 25 Jun 2014
In reply to rallymania:
> Won't be long before Coulson faces another court case up here in Scotland.

Sheridan's trial where he was charged with perjury?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-18262740

I wonder if Sherridan is as not guilty as Brooks ? ( except he went to jail)
Post edited at 00:11
Douglas Griffin - on 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Jim C:

http://lallandspeatworrier.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/coulsons-conviction-sheridans-release.html

David Cameron: "We need a government that listens to people. That's why I hired Andy Coulson."

estivoautumnal - on 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

If she didn't look so horrible would there be more of a sympathetic reaction to RB's not guilty verdict?
balmybaldwin - on 25 Jun 2014
In reply to estivoautumnal:

No.

If she was v. Pretty she'd be getting just as much stick given what the public perceive her to have done and got away with (milly dowler, celeb hacking, undue influence in high places, generally being part of the rich elite, but above all being a manipulative woman (suspected of using her assets to get where she wanted) and being a successful woman in general seems to bring about a strange form of envy/resentment in some people (particularly women oddly).

And even if she isnt an oil painting, she is not ugly. I would say average looking
Jim C - on 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Douglas Griffin:


> David Cameron: "We need a government that listens to people. That's why I hired Andy Coulson."

That is a brilliant quote, well done Cam, what a plonker.

On the Sheridan trial, I think it was Ponsenby that said at the end after he was convicted, that there was more than one prosecution witness in that trial that had given conflicting evidence that could not both be true ( so someone was lying)

If he was guilty, then so are they, and they too should be locked up.
Gordon Stainforth - on 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Jim C:

We've now had Cameron two times running interfering with the course of justice. On both occasions judges, legal experts (and now the Attorney General) have implied/said that he is in contempt of court. Yet the way he arrogantly, and totally unapologetically, attacked Milliband at PM questions today for daring to criticise him was a sorry spectacle of hubris gone mad. IMHO.
Jim Fraser - on 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Rebekah Brooks innocent?

Now if that could be prove it really would be news.
Jim C - on 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Jim Fraser:

> Rebekah Brooks innocent?
> Now if that could be prove it really would be news.

Not to worry, there are another hundred or so others to come to trial, there is always the chance the evidence needed to prove her guilt , and what many believe to be true , will come out.
She is possibly not off the hook just yet.
Jim C - on 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Andy Long:

> I think the Scottish "Not Proven" verdict has much to recommend it.

Or the even more Scottish:- "aye right"
Trangia - on 26 Jun 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> (In reply to estivoautumnal)
>
> > And even if she isnt an oil painting, she is not ugly. I would say average looking

What!? She'd make a good witch in a horror film.....

Chris the Tall - on 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Can you remind me of his other blunder - I know there was one but can't remember the details. Some sympathy for him - he'd have been criticised if he'd said nothing - but he's a very poor judge of character.

Jury unable to decide on other charges. Will the DPP go for a retrial ? Is it worth it ? Will they be able to find a un-prejudiced jury ?
Gordon Stainforth - on 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Nigella Lawson, last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25350419
Gordon Stainforth - on 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Can you remind me of his other blunder - I know there was one but can't remember the details. Some sympathy for him - he'd have been criticised if he'd said nothing - but he's a very poor judge of character.

Of course he would have been criticised if he said nothing, because he promised ages ago that he would make an apology if Coulson was found guilty. All he had to do though was wait until the trial was over.

Douglas Griffin - on 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Pretty damning stuff from Peter Oborne:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/10925485/Prime-Minister-and-his-gang-havent-lea...

...and not just about Cameron.
Chris the Tall - on 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Ah yes - a really stupid blunder, so you'd have expected him to have learnt from it. OK he's got more important things to deal with, such as derailing the EU, but you'd have thought his advisors would have been aware of it. Mind you, given the sort of person he hires as an advisor....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.