UKC

The climbing community is just incredible

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kylesherman 24 Jun 2014
I haven't been climbing for very long but I'm always surprised at how supportive and friendly the climbing community. Yesterday I witnessed this at a whole new level. As part of my week off work, me and my girlfriend decided to visit a few crags over a few days and take advantage of the time off with good weather. Yesterday happened to be Dewerstone. We managed to get a couple of routes done before disaster struck. Whilst climbing well within my grade range I unfortunately slipped, took a whipper whilst my number 4 dmm nut held my fall. Unfortunately for me I hit a ledge on the way down causing a displaced fracture of my heel which required surgery and as a result I write this from a hospital bed! The reason I write this post is because I didn't get a chance to say thank you to the gents who helped me get back to the car park by literally carrying me. I'm really hoping that they are active on this forum so I can can at least get a chance to say thank you. Never in a million years would I have expected that kind of assistance from strangers. Makes me feel good that there is still people who can care about others that way. Please get in touch if any of you fellas read this!
 wilkie14c 24 Jun 2014
In reply to kylesherman:

Hope you recover quickly and get back on the sharp end soon. Climbers are a great bunch of folk, their matra seems to be to treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. I feel at home amongst other climbers TBH.
OP kylesherman 24 Jun 2014
In reply to wilkie14c:

Thank you sir. It's going to be a slow recovery but already can't wait to get back out there. I'm meant to be in Portland right now but it looks like no climbing for a few months!
In reply to kylesherman:

Ouch!
Get well and get back climbing soon.
 Ava Adore 25 Jun 2014
In reply to kylesherman:

Every time I've seen climbers in difficulty - not necessarily injury-related but someone having a mare on a route or some such - I always see others offer to help. It's a great ethos.

And very best wishes for a speedy recovery.
 BigHairyIan 25 Jun 2014
In reply to kylesherman:

It is a great community. We all know that 'but there for the grace of God go I': we have all had times when a helping hand is useful, and so in general we 'do unto others as we would have done to ourselves'.
 fire_munki 25 Jun 2014
In reply to kylesherman:
I know the one of them who helped you and have pointed him here, hope you're ok now.
Post edited at 11:25
 chalk monster 25 Jun 2014
In reply to kylesherman:

Hi

Glad your recovering well bud

I'll let Ian (tall one) that carried you out know you've posted!

I've got some pics & video of your rescue if you want them send me your email add!

Cheers mark
Rigid Raider 25 Jun 2014
In reply to kylesherman:

Climbers, divers, sailors, most outdoorsy types will help each other in times of crisis. Many cyclists will also help although there are a few dickheads.
 andrewmc 25 Jun 2014
In reply to kylesherman:

> Never in a million years would I have expected that kind of assistance from strangers.

But I bet you would have done the same thing, or even if not you will now. Still worth having some faith in humanity Hope you get back climbing soon!
OP kylesherman 25 Jun 2014
In reply to kylesherman:

Hey Mark! So glad someone from then saw this. Was absolutely gutted I wasn't able to say thanks, the ambulance seemed to leave pretty swiftly but then stopped for directions! My email address is kylesherman@hotmail.co.uk so feel free to send over some snaps!

I would indeed have done the same should someone be in the same situation, it's just amazing these fellas dropped what they were doing to help me whilst having a laugh at the same time to keep me calm! I'm really hoping James (fella in the orange shirt) reads this. He was initially going to do the job by himself, which from where I fell would have been an impossible seeming task.
 steveriley 25 Jun 2014
In reply to kylesherman:

You would have done *exactly* the same. Hope your recovery is swift!
 El Swiftos! 25 Jun 2014
In reply to kylesherman:

Hi mate, I'm the one who made the rope stretcher/carrier and help carry you out with the aid of Wayne, hope you get better soon and you've got your car back!
Happy climbing!!
OP kylesherman 25 Jun 2014
In reply to El Swiftos!:

Hello sir! Once again I really can't thank you guys enough. Would have been completely screwed that day if me and the mrs hadn't bumped into any of you! We got the car back, heading home now with the aid of pain killers.
 Airtime! 25 Jun 2014
In reply to kylesherman:

You're most welcome fella, i know you would've done the same for anyone else. Gutted about your heel and i hope you have a swift recovery and get back to fine form in due course. All the best. J.

ps

It's a good thing you're not too heavy...
 Ann S 26 Jun 2014
In reply to kylesherman:
I'll chuck in one example from a few years back when I took a leader fall at Birchen and broke my wrist. I was the driver and my mate did not drive at all, so the only option to get to Chesterfield hospital was for my mate to approach a couple of lads who had just arrived at the crag and ask if they could drive us to the hospital. They agreed without quibble and one of them drove my car, while the other followed in theirs. It's a fair distance from the crag to Chesterfield which was the closest A&E and it must have pretty well chossed their climbing plans on what I remember was the last really good weather day of that summer.
Post edited at 07:59
 y2keable 26 Jun 2014
I bloody love threads like this. Makes me feel humple to be part of such a fantastinc community.

Hope you get out again soon bud.
 RyanOsborne 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I've noticed this too. I think there's a kind of camaraderie among people with dangerous hobbies. When I started riding a motorbike for example, I noticed that all bikers nod to each other as they go past.

Agree that the climbing counterculture is good though, and I like the general principle of 'let's be mates unless there's a reason otherwise'. The only problem is when you get so used to being around climbers that it becomes the new normal, and then when you return to humanity, with miserable, aggressive and unnecessarily unkind people, it seems all the worse!
OP kylesherman 26 Jun 2014
In reply to RyanOsborne:

It really surprised me how friendly everyone is. Even if it's just someone telling you how they would do a route you're struggling on in an indoor wall or figuring out some moves outdoors. One place that has been excellent is the Pinnacle in Northampton. Made some great friends there who are just generally awesome people.
 duchessofmalfi 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Rigid Raider:

"Climbers, divers, sailors, most outdoorsy types will help each other in times of crisis."

Kayakers will stand around and laugh film it all and put it on youtube then help!
 Merlin 26 Jun 2014
In reply to kylesherman:

Don't get carried away, I'd have drowned you in the river and taken your gear. Consider yourself lucky
OP kylesherman 27 Jun 2014
In reply to Merlin:

Ha! Well there does always have to be one....
 Os_878 27 Jun 2014
In reply to kylesherman:

Having been in need at a crag & had no help, if i see someone in need i will, even did a first course to boost my knowledge recently.
 JamButty 27 Jun 2014
In reply to kylesherman:

Its the way it should always be....and its really nice when its confirmed it does happen.
Get well soon, and well done to your rescuers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...