UKC

Gas cyclinders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 25 Jun 2014
I have a couple of gas cylinders (butane and propane). Want to get rid of them but the tip won't take them and the local shop only takes empties (these are full). How do I dispose of these exactly? :-P
 Neil Williams 25 Jun 2014
In reply to Richard Carter:

Burn the gas off then return as empties? Flog in the paper? (If they are Calor you're technically not allowed to do the latter as Calor retain ownership, whereas you buy a Gaz cylinder outright, but plenty of people do.)

Some Council tips will take them, ours does. Perhaps a Google to find one nearby in an adjacent council area that does?

Neil
In reply to Neil Williams:

They are Calor yep. Shall investigate the nearby recycling centres I guess.
 rallymania 25 Jun 2014

do a swap for an empty one on gumtree and then give the empty back?
 woolsack 25 Jun 2014

Chuck them in the ditch, that's what most people seem to do around here. Bast*rds
 deepsoup 25 Jun 2014
If they're Calor, Calor will take them off your hands:
https://www.calor.co.uk/find-a-stockist

Oh, hang on a minute - that might just take you back to your local shop. But there will be a proper Calor depot somewhere not a million miles away (and I think they'll probably be willing to collect them.)
Post edited at 11:08
 wilkie14c 25 Jun 2014

Offer them free on your local facebook buy and sell group
 timjones 25 Jun 2014

> I have a couple of gas cylinders (butane and propane). Want to get rid of them but the tip won't take them and the local shop only takes empties (these are full). How do I dispose of these exactly? :-P

Swap with someone who uses gas and has an empty, then return the empty to the supplier.
 gethin_allen 25 Jun 2014

your local shop should take them off you if they supply Calor. I know GoOutdoors does if this is any help.
Saying this, gas is expensive so giving it back to the company feels wrong and swapping it on freecycle or gumtree sounds better.
Finally found a shop willing to accept full cylinders :-P

Rang round a few places, but they all refused to handle full ones. I'd have thought they'd want full ones, surely they could sell them on to customers?
Anyway they're gone now finally!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...