UKC

Hep B Booster in France

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kbow265 25 Jun 2014
Hi,

Had a Hep B course in the Spring but my body didn't respond to it so I'm onto another course. The date for the second dose is while I'm in France - does anyone know if it'd be possible to get it done there and approximately how much it would cost?
 jon 25 Jun 2014
In reply to florence58:

I don't see why not. A French GP's consultation fee is €23 but you'd need the stuff (I assume injectable?). The GP would give you a prescription and you'd need to buy it from the pharmacie - don't know how you'd go about being reimbursed. Obviously better if you could get it in the UK and just have one visit to the GP. This is just speculation but as I said, I can't see why not.
 drolex 26 Jun 2014
In reply to florence58:

Sure you can have it there!

Do you have an EHIC? It's what you need to be reimbursed - not sure it works for vaccines, but you can find details under www.nhs.uk/healthcareabroad

The injection should cost 23€ (GP) + around 10€ (vaccine) I think. GPs usually have a reserve of them (as I remember at least), so maybe no need to go the pharmacy. That will be some expensive 2 minutes though...
 RomTheBear 26 Jun 2014
In reply to drolex:

> Sure you can have it there!

> Do you have an EHIC? It's what you need to be reimbursed - not sure it works for vaccines, but you can find details under www.nhs.uk/healthcareabroad

> The injection should cost 23€ (GP) + around 10€ (vaccine) I think. GPs usually have a reserve of them (as I remember at least), so maybe no need to go the pharmacy. That will be some expensive 2 minutes though...

You can get reimbursed 70% of that cost later by the French national health insurance, but goodluck dealing with the paperwork !
 Bruce Hooker 26 Jun 2014
In reply to RomTheBear:

But you would have to be in the French health insurance system and have a "Carte Vitale". I think the way to go is using the EHIC system, pay the doctor, 23€ being a minimum, most doctors in the Paris region charge extra, he would give you the prescription ("Ordonnonce") to get the injection from the chemists then you could either pay a nurse to do it (cheaper than going back to the doctor), ask the chemist, sometimes they will do jabs, do it yourself (that's what I do for certain easy jabs) or, better still, negotiate with the doctor for him to do it without a second 23€ charge. Health care is an expensive business in France!
 RomTheBear 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:
> But you would have to be in the French health insurance system and have a "Carte Vitale". I think the way to go is using the EHIC system, pay the doctor, 23€ being a minimum, most doctors in the Paris region charge extra, he would give you the prescription ("Ordonnonce") to get the injection from the chemists then you could either pay a nurse to do it (cheaper than going back to the doctor), ask the chemist, sometimes they will do jabs, do it yourself (that's what I do for certain easy jabs) or, better still, negotiate with the doctor for him to do it without a second 23€ charge. Health care is an expensive business in France!

No need for a carte vitale if he has his EHIC. He can send the prescription stickers and his treatment sheet to the local CPAM with his bank details and get reimbursed at around 70%.

I never used the EHIC system in France so I don't know how well it works, but by the look of it it looks like the paperwork to be reimbursed is a lot less complicated than if you are actually an French person living in France !
Post edited at 13:50
 Bruce Hooker 26 Jun 2014
In reply to RomTheBear:

> No need for a carte vitale if he has his EHIC.

Exactly, which is why the EHIC system was invented. You need to have worked in France or go through a special system if you haven't, a visitor cannot obtain a "carte Vitale". Not that many years ago if you hadn't worked at least half time you couldn't get any cover at all, even now it involves a special procedure called "La couverture maladie universelle (CMU)"
 RomTheBear 26 Jun 2014
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

> Exactly, which is why the EHIC system was invented. You need to have worked in France or go through a special system if you haven't, a visitor cannot obtain a "carte Vitale". Not that many years ago if you hadn't worked at least half time you couldn't get any cover at all, even now it involves a special procedure called "La couverture maladie universelle (CMU)"

To put it simply, it's an administrative mess .
If I have to give one quality of the NHS, it's the simplicity.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...