UKC

RyanAir - what to watch out for

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Green Porridge 28 Jun 2014
So I'm flying with RyanAir on Friday, taking luggage. With any other airline, I'd mostly just check that I'm under the weight limit, and that I get to the airport in plenty of time, but RyanAir being RyanAir, I'm rather more cautious of incurring extra charges. So, on my list of things to make sure I have/do are:

- Check in in advance
- Print off boarding card myself
- Check and double check dimensions as well as weight of my luggage

Any other tips to make my RyanAir trip as comfortable and free of extra charges as possible?
 JLS 28 Jun 2014
In reply to Green Porridge:

Relax, as long as you've payed for the weight and number of bags you're carrying, it'll be fine. I think they've make a conscious decision not to be so needlessly arsey about things.
 ebygomm 28 Jun 2014
We flew recently with them and it's not really how it used to be. Allocated seating and a small additional item of hand luggage allowed.

Only thing to watch out for is you might not be able to check in and print boarding pass for your return trip if it's more than 7 days in advance.
Post edited at 11:07
 ewar woowar 28 Jun 2014
In reply to ebygomm:
> We flew recently with them and it's not really how it used to be. Allocated seating and a small additional item of hand luggage allowed.

Correct.

> Only thing to watch out for is you might not be able to check in and print boarding pass for your return trip if it's more than 7 days in advance.

30-8 days in advance if booked an allocated seat. 7 days - 2 hours if no allocated seat purchased.
 JamButty 28 Jun 2014

Take food with you on board, and just follow their rules.
No problems otherwise.
 mypyrex 28 Jun 2014
In reply to JamButty:

> Take food with you on board,

It's a wonder they don't class that as excess baggage
 Stone Idle 28 Jun 2014

Impressed guys - I'd rather crawl using my eyebrow muscles than get on a Ryan Air plane. One rip-off too many. In fact, if the only airline is RA I'll always go somewhere else!
 IMA 28 Jun 2014

Far from my favorite airline but had a good experience recently when I lost my email print off on my return. Had accepted I was paying for a new one (15 pounds) but the girl at check in said, do you have it on your phone, luckily I had saved the pdf to my dropbox. This allowed her to print off a new one for free.

Not as handy as the passport tickets on your phone that some airlines have, but saved me a few quid.

Nb, she may have just been airport staff but all helps.
 Duncan Bourne 28 Jun 2014

Having flown Ryan air a few times now I have developed a different attitude towards them. Basically a few things that come as standard with other airlines are "extras" on Ryan air so it is important to check prices for all things before booking.
I will always pay extra for leg room on Ryan air as the normal seating space is shite
 jezb1 28 Jun 2014

It's fashionable to slate but I've flown loads with them and they're fine.
 gethin_allen 28 Jun 2014
In reply to Stone Idol:

Have you flown with them recently? My first few experiences with Ryanair were horrendous with the GF having to stuff her purse in her bag because they thought it was too big (15X10 cm) thus effectively putting us to the back of the queue as everyone piled past and resulting in us not getting seats together. Another time the GF dropped something on the way to the plane and when she bent down to pick it up someone kneed her in the side of the head as they were legging it across the tarmac to get a seat.

I've since got rid of the GF and they have introduced allocated seats and allow a handbag along with your main cabin bag, so all points sorted. I've flown with them three return journeys since and the only issue I've had is that they changed one of my flight times and the scheduled times from bristol are a bit of a pain. Saying this, on average I've been paying less than £75 return for flights to various European locations so can't really complain to much.
 ewar woowar 28 Jun 2014
In reply to gethin_allen:

> I've since got rid of the GF

I have a wife rather than a GF.

Any tips? Dumping the wife may prove to be more expensive than all the "hidden extras" on a Ryanair flight!

Rampikino 28 Jun 2014

I refuse to use RyanAir now because of past hidden charges and buggerations. However that's a personal choice and I wouldn't actively encourage anyone not to fly with them.

Just take your time to read about all the hoops you have to jump through - it's the price for going budget.

In comparison, on a recent trip to USA with American Airlines I didn't have to spend long periods of time trying to work out what I could or couldn't dons what was required of me- it was very simple.
In reply to all:

Thanks for the advice! They sound like they've got better since I last flew with them, 6 or 7 years ago. It seems like I'vt got most of the things covered already, I'll just have the usual fun of working out which things should be packed where and so on. I've tried avoiding them since my last experience, but they've just started flying from my local airport, so I have little other choice.
In reply to Rampikino:

I've found American Airlines to be awful! The last couple for times I've flown with them, I've thought that it felt less professional than easyjet, for definitely non-budget prices!
 browndog33 28 Jun 2014
Take a poop tube with you and you'll be fine..
 Indy 28 Jun 2014

As like many many others its anyone but RyanAir for me too.

All the hassle and pettiness I can put up with but buying a ticket to what RyanAir describe as Oslo only to find that Oslo City is a 70 mile coach journey from the airport is just too much. That isn't a one off either.
 Indy 28 Jun 2014
In reply to Rampikino:
> Just take your time to read about all the hoops you have to jump through - it's the price for going budget.

Its always worth doing a general search for the destination your flying to with dates as I've found on a number of occasions that full service operators can be cheaper especially closer to the flight date and once all the extras are added.
 JoshOvki 28 Jun 2014

I refuse to fly RyanAir too, mainly because of bad service I have had with them and how they dealt with the volcanic ash incident.
 sbc_10 28 Jun 2014

I'd watch out for other planes err... on the ground if I was you.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/two-ryanair-planes-damaged-i...
 Greenbanks 29 Jun 2014

Folk who moan about FYR ought to apply common sense. At the height of their customer brusque-ness the airline flew people for next to nothing. All that passengers needed to do was take a bit of time, read the rules and apply the logic (e.g. You don't need to be Albert Einstein to check the location of the airport served by them - at the price charged by premium airports for landing a plane it stands to reason that it's not going to be the most convenient ). Instead you get countless people mithering on about stupid things that they have absolute control over. FYR has never been perfect but the airline gets millions safely and cheaply from A to B.

Get over it. For a genuine flying experience to moan about (and pay top whack for) try flying BA (utter tripe) or as someone has said above, AA
 Enty 29 Jun 2014
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Folk who moan about FYR ought to apply common sense. At the height of their customer brusque-ness the airline flew people for next to nothing. All that passengers needed to do was take a bit of time, read the rules and apply the logic (e.g. You don't need to be Albert Einstein to check the location of the airport served by them - at the price charged by premium airports for landing a plane it stands to reason that it's not going to be the most convenient ). Instead you get countless people mithering on about stupid things that they have absolute control over. FYR has never been perfect but the airline gets millions safely and cheaply from A to B.

> Get over it. For a genuine flying experience to moan about (and pay top whack for) try flying BA (utter tripe) or as someone has said above, AA

This ^^^^^^
Moaning about messing up on Ryanair makes you sound a bit simple - just like all those people you see causing chaos at check-in swapping stuff from bag to bag.
And not checking where your airport is in relation to your final destination ????
Even my 73 year old mum gets it right every time and she gets to visit her grandaughter for 17 quid - thanks Mr. O'Leary you are my hero!!!

By far the worst flight I've ever had in my history of flying has been AA to Chicago in 2011 - never again.

E
In reply to Enty:

I wasn't complaining - I was merely asking if there were any things that I need to watch out for when flying with them (like printing off your boarding card, which I'm not sure you're obliged to do with any other airline). The very reason I am flying with them, is that they are flying exactly the route I want. I'll be pleased if it all goes well, I'm just wanting to try to make the trip as stress free as possible!

Aye, make sure they pilots are paying attention and don't crash into each other on the ground
 Enty 29 Jun 2014

I'm sure it all will go well like it has 100% of the time I've flown with them.

E
 Steve Perry 29 Jun 2014
In reply to Stone Idol:

> Impressed guys - I'd rather crawl using my eyebrow muscles than get on a Ryan Air plane. One rip-off too many. In fact, if the only airline is RA I'll always go somewhere else!

Totally agree, rip off airline that has nothing but contempt for its customers. I'd rather walk all the way with a stone in my shoe.

yorkshireman 29 Jun 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

> Totally agree, rip off airline that has nothing but contempt for its customers. I'd rather walk all the way with a stone in my shoe.

I've never understood why people confuse paying for stuff in an itemised way as a rip off. I normally fly BA or Lufthansa when travelling round Europe, and pay one price inclusive price for the ticket. If I don't check in a bag, or eat the food or have a gin and tonic, then I've essentially subsidised the passengers who did - surely that's the ripoff?

I haven't flown Ryanair in about 5 years - mainly just because price isn't the overwhelming decision in my flight choices, but when I did fly, supposedly in the bad old days before they got fuzzier, everthing went fine (probably flown about 20 times with them).

Personally I'd rather pay extra for convenient airports and flight times, and a less stressful onboard experience (noise is the worst thing - playing the adverts and jingles)
abseil 29 Jun 2014

You can always read Skytrax:

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/ryan.htm
 timjones 29 Jun 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

> Totally agree, rip off airline that has nothing but contempt for its customers. I'd rather walk all the way with a stone in my shoe.

We've never had any problems. Maybe it's just you that they have contempt for
 Enty 29 Jun 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

You'll have to explain to me how granny visiting her grandaughter for 17 quid is a rip-off?
Also, how me going cycling in Mallorca for a week for 55 euro return is a rip off.

Last time I was in Gerona airport, on the way to the Ryanair check-in I saw three metal baskets which are size guides for your carry on bag. People were still complaining at check-in when they were forced to check their too big hand luggage in. Simpletons!

E

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 29 Jun 2014
In reply to Steve Perry:

I have flown with Ryanair a lot over the years, if they go where I am going I will check them out. Best deal ever was Stansted to Kos for €20 each!

Chris
 Gary Curran 29 Jun 2014
Just returned from Sweden yesterday from Kayaking trip, paid for extra bag they were strict on the 20kg limit, but the two carry on bags no probs just follow the guidelines I sure it will be no hassle.
Return flight was delayed by 2 hours, due to flight delay that morning and just rolled on to afternoon flight, I would be concerned about booking connection flight with them. But I guess it can happen with any airline. Unless you have a connecting ticket so you can get re-booked in the event of missed connection.

Gary Curran 29 Jun 2014

For got to say defo check in online, if not it's £70 to check in at airport and £15 if you do not have boarding pass. I asked about PDF file boarding passes on phone, the desk said every airport is different so I would always get one printed.
 Jim Fraser 29 Jun 2014

The Ryanair approach: pre-loaded toothbrush in cling-film and one spare set of underwear tucked into the laptop bag. You have to take some luggage, otherwise they have another excuse to mess you about based on the theory that people without luggage are on a suicide mission.

Same for Wizz. They are happy to hold up boarding for half an hour to allow gate staff to find more ways of ripping off passengers and for the passengers scrub around to beg or steal enough money to pay their extortioners.
 Tony the Blade 29 Jun 2014

> RyanAir - what to watch out for

Another Ryanair plane...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-28072770
 Cú Chullain 30 Jun 2014
Flown with Ryanair loads of times, including this weekend. Apart from one delay getting back from Italy (due to a baggage handlers strike) years ago they have been great. Play by their rules and you will get by fine. As others have pointed out they have allocated seating now which kind of makes the whole priority boarding surcharge a bit pointless but the overall boarding experience a bit more civilised. Never really understood it when I have seen people moaning at the cost of printing a boarding pass at the airport or the charges for checking in hold luggage. It is all very clearly stated in advance what their policies are and if you can't navigate their website without accidentally buying travel insurance or booking a hotel that did not need then you really should not be allowed to be let out of the house alone.
 MG 30 Jun 2014
In reply to yorkshireman:
> I've never understood why people confuse paying for stuff in an itemised way as a rip off.

If the charges were presented clearly I don't think people would be have any problems with it. It's the deliberate obfuscation and ever changing rules that are designed to catch you out that are the problem. Yes you *can* spend an hour reading every page of the website to check for the latest wheeze to catch you out but you shouldn't have to. This and the surly staff.
Post edited at 09:38
 timjones 30 Jun 2014
In reply to MG:

> If the charges were presented clearly I don't think people would be have any problems with it. It's the deliberate obfuscation and ever changing rules that are designed to catch you out that are the problem. Yes you *can* spend an hour reading every page of the website to check for the latest wheeze to catch you out but you shouldn't have to. This and the surly staff.

It has never taken more than a few minutes to work it out and I have yet to find any airline that does any better at showing their baggage rules and charges in a open and transparent manner.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...