UKC

No Hope :o(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 29 Jun 2014
Admittedly my Mrs is no walker but in yesterday's Telegraph magazine there was an item about the Yeti Mountain Home luxury lodges in the Khumbu. I thought "Ahh, she'd appreciate that. Five star luxury plus the scenery and I could hire a mule to carry her from Lukla. So I went on to the web site and showed her the pictures. She said "Don't book me in there". I told her she didn't know what she was missing. "I think I do" she replied.

No hope of conversion there then!
Jim C 29 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> No hope of conversion there then!

I offered mine a bycycle tour island hopping round the Western Islands
( I would prefer to camp, she would get to stay in a B&B if she wanted)

She preferred a week in Benidorm with her 80 year old widowed father.
What chance have you got with tough competition like that.

Best I got was she joined me on a week in a comfy campervan touring up the West Coast To Durness starting at home ( Loch Lomond)
She hated it.

We are back to doing our own thing.
 mrdigitaljedi 29 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I know the feeling my partner refuses to even consider anything that is`nt hotel based and as for walking/climbing/scrambling forget it, thinks iam completely insane going camping for a wk, so per normal i go away, she goes away, then we have joint holidays together.

This suits me as i can do what i want, when i want, and enjoy the company of other climbers.
 gribble 29 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I just got back from my honeymoon, a cmapervan trip in the Lakes. Next month we'll be going in the van to the Alps with my 7yr old daughter too for a few weeks. My lovely new wife doesn't climb, but loves the social side, the walking and the outdoors. My daughter climbs. No complaints here!!!
OP mypyrex 29 Jun 2014
In reply to Jim C & mrdigitaljedi:
I think there seems to be a fair number of us "mountain men" whose other halves think we're a bit nutty to go off into the hills and put up with the discomfort it often entails.
I try to explain that, by going without a proper wash etc for a couple of weeks in the mountains, you are more likely to appreciate such things when they are available. We do take so much for granted but I can't seem to make her understand that.
 cander 29 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
My daughters idea of outdoors involves walking from the car to a shopping mall, with your truly as the bag carrier and bottomless wallet - I've clearly failed as a parent, however on the bright side grandson # 2 is gagging to go up a big hill.
 mrdigitaljedi 29 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
> We do take so much for granted but I can't seem to make her understand that.

I dont even try anymore, i just come home dump my gear put my clothes in the wash,

then all my misses asks is have i had a good time, end of conversation.
Post edited at 14:21
 Billy the fish 29 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Good luck converting her.

This winter saw me and my missus in a nice Lake District Hotel and plodding across snow capped hills. A few weeks later it was our wedding anniversary so I dutifully started looking at something more upmarket; her response, “ I want to take the tent this time” and we did.
I’m not a fair weather camper, there’s too many other people and midges. She’s less keen than me in the coldest months but sometimes, just sometimes, we’ll manage to get a winter wild camping trip in winter; they’re special.
I’m a lucky lad.
 Tony the Blade 29 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Our lass isn't what you'd call a walker, although she really enjoyed the Balcon walks in Chamonix Valley. However when we worked in Nepal I suggested a trek to Annapurna BC, she agreed as long as we got a porter. I agreed to this as we also thought it was doing the 'right thing' as this is a huge source of income for the locals.

Anyway, long story short... she loved it, and I loved the fact that she loved it. Fave moment was the short walk from Machhapuchhre BC to ABC during sunrise in the snow, it was simply beyond words.
 tlm 30 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> I think there seems to be a fair number of us "mountain men" whose other halves think we're a bit nutty to go off into the hills and put up with the discomfort it often entails.

Why "mountain men"? I think it can be any mountain people. My first husband wasn't into it at all. I used to go on weekend trips, then our holidays would be spent at his family's, doing things like going around the local shopping centre (death!). Instead of complaining, I took fate into my own hands, divorced him, and now get to go on holidays that I really enjoy.
OP mypyrex 30 Jun 2014
In reply to tlm:

Fair enough. Didn't intend to sound prejudiced.
 mrdigitaljedi 30 Jun 2014
In reply to tlm:

Its about compromising, if u do n they dont find a middle ground, i enjoy goin on holiday with my partner sitting in the sun but only for a short time, thats y my rock shoes n chalk bag are packed for.

Gokd on u for divorcing the boring guy n doin what u want, no sense accepting humdrum.
 Flinticus 30 Jun 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I'm going with Mrs Flinticus and Flint to Corrour Station Hotel for the one night next weekend. Hope she likes it! I've camped and bothy'd around here so now experiencing the luxury end. She is a big no to camping and I'm not going to push it.

It'll be good for the old dog too as he will be back in his old milieu without having to walk in (can't go very far these days).
Removed User 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

I think I recall a post of yours about feeling a sense of betrayal towards Flint when you could no longer take him into the hills because of his health. It resonated with me, so somewhat bizarrely, I'm happier that your dog is getting out again than that you've convinced your missus to go up to Corrour!

Hope the three of you have a good time!
rb
 Flinticus 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed Usermountain25:

Thanks

Yes, I did say that and still do. My wild camps without him have not been as satisfying: no more sitting on a peak with a bottle of ale and dog by my side, pondering out loud as the sun sets.

I took him camping in the borders last week and he slept outside the tent, keeping guard (just as well as a man and small dog walked nearby at 6am and I'd never have known if Flint's barking hadn't woken me).
Removed User 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Flinticus:

Totally understand and agree, having a canine pal to share those experiences with makes them so much better. Sounds like he's still getting out a bit with you, albeit not to the high places, so thats good!
rb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...