UKC

High end laptop.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 30 Jun 2014
Got round to thinking about replacing my laptop. Am currently using a top spec Apple MacBookPro.

Having become increasingly disillusioned with Apple was wondering if there are any crediable alternatives.

One of the main issues is the software.... Adobe pretty much fulfills my needs but its gone over to the highly annoying renting rather than outright purchase. There is also a need to have internet connectivity which I can't always guarantee.

As a guide would be looking for a spec of Intel's latest and greatest CPU, top end dedicated GPU, 32gb memory, 1tb Flash hd and motherboard supported Thunderbolt 2.

Anyone know of a replacement for Logic?
Thanks
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Indy:

I can't help with the laptop (I'm in the same boat at the mo - just looking) but with the Adobe CC software I think it needs a net connection to 'check in' at least every 30 days, which shouldn't be too onerous,

Chris
Removed User 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Indy:

How much are you wanting to spend? From the specs I reckon you're looking upwards of 2k.

You're not going to get 1tb flash hdd on a lappy I don't think. Most have 512 ssd + 1tb mechanical.

As for the software, you can crack it to stop that annoying renting (pay for it and then crack it) or pirate it outright and it solves your problem. Their fault if they don't offer any alternative to shitty DRM.
 balmybaldwin 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Indy:

You'll be hard pushed to get a spec that high out of a laptop... when I was looking (admittedly for a lightweight ultrabook) the most I could find was 8gb ram....

Have you considered 2 machines? a desktop for the high-end processing and a more basic laptop for when you are mobile?
 origamib 30 Jun 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

My laptop is equipped with 4gb ram, but for around £100 I can easily upgrade that to 16gb, and this laptop is a cheap piece of rubbish!

As has been said before, Do you need a laptop with those specs? A desktop+low end laptop may be more ideal. You may want to consider an external hard drive as well rather then having it built in... It will no doubt give you much more flexibility when buying
OP Indy 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Hey, thanks everyone for the quick replies....

With regards Adobe CC the problem is it might ask to check when I don't have an internet connection. Not having access to the software I've paid for is not acceptable. Cracking it is a very tempting option if only to piss Adobe off but generally it's not worth the hassle.

The spec I've outlined pretty much follows what Apple are currently offering. The only non-standard thing being the the 32gb of ram which would be a self upgrade. Yes, would be looking to spend 2.5k The software pretty much dictates that it be a high spec machine.

My first thought would be Sony anyone have any experience?
 balmybaldwin 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Indy:

I've had sony laptops in the past, and they are good, but quite expensive for the specs I was looking at. The "high end" one I bought about 10 years ago was great, but it did have a lot of bloatware on it that I removed.

From what I was looking at on the Adobe site, most of their packages seemed to have a offline only option available-but again you are probably looking at much more expensive bits of software.
OP Indy 30 Jun 2014
In reply to origamib:
> My laptop is equipped with 4gb ram, but for around £100 I can easily upgrade this to 16gb

> As has been said before, Do you need a laptop with those specs? A desktop+low end laptop may be more ideal.

At its most intense I need to import and work with Redcode R3D files in Autodesk Smoke. That's professional 4k video into compositing/effects software.
Post edited at 17:42
 Philip 30 Jun 2014
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Samsung do one that has i7, 32gb ram, 1tb hdd. It has a resolution better than the apple retina display.

The downside. Windows 8. If you thought windows was crap before you switched to macs, it's worse now.

I run Linux, and have a high end desktop for photo work. But I've had 15 years to get used to making Linux work, and the graphics cards still don't do everything I need with open source drivers.

I would stick with the OS you know and look for alternatives to Adobe. I used to use Corel and I know they have some good photo work up suite. There is also some originally Linux software now ported to mac.
Removed User 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Indy:

There's a few from MSI and Acer but I wouldn't go with either of those brands.

Toshiba do a ultra-high spec with 32gb + a great cpu/gpu combo but can't comment on how good it is. Pretty lightweight given what it's carrying, only 256gb on the SSD though, might have to upgrade that yourself but there's certainly room to do so with the price they are charging. More info here: http://www.ebuyer.com/602359-toshiba-tecra-w50-a-102-laptop-pt640e-00q00yen
OP Indy 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

I haven't used windows since 2004. Is the latest version any good? Is it comparable to OS X?
Removed User 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

If he's spending over 2k on a lappy he'll know how to wipe win8 and chuck windows7 on there. No one spending that much would put up with win8 for the OS.
 Philip 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Indy:

You probably had windows xp. By 2004 it was probably working quite well on that kind of hardware. I dual booted the second generation of centrino chips on it. Since then they screwed up the interface with vista, and then got it a bit better with windows 7. Stability-wise things aren't too bad, but the problem is that it's still a dogs breakfast of an operating system. Drivers are a nightmare, they can still monopolise too much CPU time, windows people never see to realise this, it's so ingrained now that drivers are these massive pieces of software. Printers come with their own daemons that run all the time just to check for ink.

Then there is the software. Microsoft abandoned the common interface approach so that the new office apps are not intuitive to new users with experience on other windows (small W) software.

They'll be loads of entrenched windows users to tell me I'm wrong, but as a day-to-day non-windows user who has the experience of maintaining a mixed mac/windows/unix lab, modern windows is not an easy thing to move to. I could fix most things on XP despite not using it routinely. On I windows 7 I find network configuration beyond simple dhcp/static IP configuration non trivial.
 Neil Williams 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

Yeah. I could possibly be convinced by the button bar thing eventually, though I prefer menus. However, the fact that they change the UI significantly with every release of Office makes me wonder if they've got shares in training companies. It's completely unnecessary and really annoying.

Neil
Removed User 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

I still use Office2003 on all of the installs I do for this exact reason, that horrible 'tab' menu system sucks. 2003 was the last release before they started changing the gui.
OP Indy 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Not really, the last version I used was I believe NT4 and I got very familiar with a dos prompt,rawrite and inserting discs.
 Philip 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Indy:

NT4 is the technology underlining XP. It's not bad, but given users had to wait from about 1992 when it was first mooted until about 2002 when it became stable.

Installing old windows and old office is okay if you're not sharing other people (particularly large companies and government departments) but you may as well have OpenOffice if interoperability isn't your thing.
 climbwhenready 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Indy:

> The spec I've outlined pretty much follows what Apple are currently offering. The only non-standard thing being the the 32gb of ram which would be a self upgrade. Yes, would be looking to spend 2.5k The software pretty much dictates that it be a high spec machine.

Yep. Why not buy a MacBook Pro and install windows on it?

OP Indy 30 Jun 2014
In reply to Philip:

> NT4 is the technology underlining XP. It's not bad, but given users had to wait from about 1992 when it was first mooted until about 2002 when it became stable

I got NT4 on a Gateway 2000 PC in '96 and loved it. Had no real issues apart from the complete lack of drivers for various hardware.
OP Indy 30 Jun 2014
In reply to climbwhenready:

> Yep. Why not buy a MacBook Pro and install windows on it?

What a blinder never really thought of that.

Are there any issues with windows supporting Thunderbolt or other 'Mac' hardware?

climbwhenready 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Indy:

> What a blinder never really thought of that.

> Are there any issues with windows supporting Thunderbolt or other 'Mac' hardware?

I'm not sure, there are probably forums somewhere else that can answer your question. I would have thought it would just work...

I've got Windows installed on my work laptop for stuff that I use once every few months, and it works fine, but I don't use thunderbolt.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...