UKC

Typical holiday allowance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
So I've been looking round the job market lately and I'm quite surprised how things have changed in terms of holiday allowance companies offer. At my current place we get 20days plus bank holidays and 1 extra for each year of service, what do other people get?
 alexcollins123 01 Jul 2014
In reply to chrisclimber_1986:

Yep, I get 20 days + 1 day/year up to a max of 25.
In reply to alexcollins123:

35 days, plus public holidays
 hokkyokusei 01 Jul 2014

20 plus bank holidays is the statutory minimum for full time workers.

We get 25 days plus bank holidays, plus an extra day for each year's service up to 5 years. But you can also buy/sell holiday entitlement at the start of each year if you think your entitlement is too little/too much.
 yorkshireman 01 Jul 2014

When I lived in the UK it was usually 25 days, plus bank holidays then an extra 1 day for every year of service up to a maximum of 30. I worked in digital marketing and it was fairly normal, although so were 50 hour weeks.

I now live in France and its 25 days plus bank holidays (although if a fixed date bank holiday falls on a weekend, we lose it).

However there is something else called the Réduction du Temps de Travail which means I get an extra 12-17 or so days off (depending on the year) because I work more than than the mandated 35 hour week.

This year I'll have almost 50 days off (if I can find the time to take them).
 The New NickB 01 Jul 2014

20 + bank holidays is the statutory minimum.

At my place you get 22, 25 or 28 days depending how senior you are, with more senior staff getting more holidays. I sort of disagree with this, but not enough to not take my extra days.

I get 28 + 8 days bank holidays + an extra 5 that I got after 5 years service. I think the extra holiday for long service got scrapped a few years ago, but cannot be applied to staff who already had it.
JMGLondon 01 Jul 2014
In reply to The New NickB:

26 + bank holidays. There is also talk of introducing '13 day fortnights' where you can spread the hours of one day across nine and take a three day weekend every other week (or take the day in the middle of the week).
 Axel Smeets 01 Jul 2014

> 20 + bank holidays is the statutory minimum.

I always thought it was 20 days including bank holidays?

Our staff get 20 or 25 plus bank holidays, depending on their seniority, although I want to see everyone get 25 + bank holidays eventually.

The New NickB 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Axel Smeets:

> I always thought it was 20 days including bank holidays?

It used to be, changed a few years ago.
 Neil Williams 01 Jul 2014

25 plus bank holidays. Fairly average I think.

Neil
 Axel Smeets 01 Jul 2014

Ah I see. All the more reason to push for everyone getting 25 + BHs as I'm not keen on the idea that people only get the absolute minimum at our place. Will be raised in the next meeting so thanks!
 malky_c 01 Jul 2014

20 days + 10 bank holidays (which are flexible in reality, so other than Christmas/new year, can be taken at any time) +3 days extra for 5 years service, and soon another 2 days for 10 years service.
=33 days just now . We can also buy and sell leave at a particular point in each year - more days off = slightly reduced monthly wage.
 ebygomm 01 Jul 2014

My last permanent job was like that until job evaluation when it was changed across the board for everyone to 32 + bank holidays

Used to be 20/25/28/30 plus bank holidays plus 4 statutory days depending on grade and length of service.
 Alan M 01 Jul 2014
32 days annual leave, 4 days leave over Christmas because the company closes down so everyone is off, bank holidays and flexi time of 1.5 days every 5 weeks equating to an additional 15 days per year.

so without flexi time

32 annual leave, 4 days over Christmas either side of the bank holidays, and 8 bank holidays = 44 days in total or up to 59 if I use the flexi clock as entitled
Post edited at 11:46
 Dax H 01 Jul 2014

This thread is making me feel very tight.
My guys and girls get 21 days plus bank holidays.
I would like to increase it but there are only 10 of us and it's hard enough covering 210 days of lost work per year without adding 40 more.
Ken Lewis 01 Jul 2014
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> 20 plus bank holidays is the statutory minimum for full time workers.

That implies a statutory right to take leave on bank holidays, which is incorrect. Bank holidays are irrelevant to the calculation.

What you mean is 28 days statutory minimum. Or to be precise, 5.6 weeks for a full time worker.
In reply to Dax H:

It's not "lost work" because you never had it, any more than weekends or other rest days (if your company works shifts rather than just Mon-Fri) are "lost work".

Neil

25 plus bank hols for me
 climbwhenready 01 Jul 2014

27 plus bank holidays plus 4 "customary closure days" which is a way of saying "we're closed between Christmas and New Year, and it doesn't count towards the 27 days".

Ken Lewis is right, the statutory minimum is 28 days and bank holidays are irrelevant. Many companies specify that the bank holidays have to be taken, but many (eg. larger shops) will ask people to work on bank holidays.
 Ramblin dave 01 Jul 2014

25 plus Bank Holidays plus the option to buy up to ten more days pro-rata.
 hokkyokusei 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Ken Lewis:

> That implies a statutory right to take leave on bank holidays, which is incorrect. Bank holidays are irrelevant to the calculation.

> What you mean is 28 days statutory minimum. Or to be precise, 5.6 weeks for a full time worker.

Yes, that's more precisely correct. What I should have said was that the OP's entitlement complied with the statutory minimum.

Ooft. I work in the US at the moment. 10 days + public holidays (8 I believe) with 5 days added after 5 yrs, 5 more at 10 yrs, 5 more at 20yrs.

10 days is NOT enough time off to lead a healthy life in my humble opinion.
 SAF 01 Jul 2014

I work for the NHS doing shifts, so get the equivalent hours of 27 days (7.5hrs) annual leave, plus 8 x 7.5 hours added for bank holiday entitlement, then if my rota'd shift lands on a bank holiday I just work it receiving sunday pay rate (time and 60%). Once I had been in 5 years I got an extra 2 days leave added, and next year I will have been in 10 years and get an extra 3 days added, so that comes to 300hrs leave per year.

Some people find it challenging to book and take it all, I've never found it a problem!!!!
 JoshOvki 01 Jul 2014
I get 27.5 + Bank Holidays, we can carry up to 10 days between years so currently I have 37.5 days holiday to take, along with working flexy where I can take 2 days a month in flexy time. So really this year I can take up to 69.5 days holiday
Post edited at 19:30
 Dax H 01 Jul 2014
In reply to Neil Williams:

> It's not "lost work" because you never had it, any more than weekends or other rest days (if your company works shifts rather than just Mon-Fri) are "lost work".

> Neil

Okay maybe I phrased it wrong.
My point is when people are off I have to cover their work load and pay them too.
Margins are very tight and holiday time really eats in to this because the person who is off is still costing me but not earning anything.
In the perfect world I would have an extra person to cover the work but that would mean finding an extra 60k of work per year to cover the wage etc so the increase to the overall workload would make covering for them hard and I would need another person but that would require more work and so on and so on.
With a large business covering for holidays or sick is easy as many hands make light work but in a small place it is very difficult.
In reply to Bob_the_Builder:

Yeah, I think the UK/European approach is the right way. The US quota is very low. As an example if I were in the US I wouldn't be able to spend any of my holidays volunteering for Scouting. Same in Japan I believe, which is why the UK will be taking a large volunteer service team to the 2015 Jamboree - the Japanese Scout Association can't get enough people because they don't get enough holidays.

Neil
With an ill father I used up all my sick days last year helping out, then most of my vacation days too. While being forced to use holiday to care for a sick relative is annoying, if I'd had 20 days I would still be able to take a holiday for myself. As it is I have about 4 days of holiday to see me through til I leave the US in August. Those disappear pretty fast with doctors appts, picking up people from airports, not feeling well (I've used up my sick time again), etc.
Post edited at 23:51
 Flinticus 02 Jul 2014

Some generous entitlemebnts there. I always thoghut mine were good (and they are but I now see better!)

26 days + bank holidays and can buy up to five extra per year plus non-contractual day off centred on your birthday.
 nathan79 02 Jul 2014

I was really shocked by the holidays allocated to a friend who hopped across the pond late last year, so much less than he was used to in the UK.

I get a pretty generous 29 days plus 6 bank holidays coupled with a 4-day week which I should really should make better use of.
JMGLondon 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Dax H:

Surely comes with the territory of running a business. I've found that business owners tend to be extremely driven and (usually) woefully bad at taking time away from work - usually because they are spinning so many plates. I was recently involved in an extensive project with a small company facing similar challenges to yours. We found that staff felt guilty when taking leave and most didn't take anywhere near their full entitlement. Sounds simple but we implemented a structured process where individual leave could be covered by colleagues. Previously the office would grind to halt in March as staff crammed their leave in before year end.

A year after implementation the business ended up granting more leave to staff and - crucially - people felt far better about going to work. More holidays = happy staff > greater productivity.
 Neil Williams 02 Jul 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

I must admit I find this very odd indeed. Would the staff also voluntarily give up some of their salary? If not, why is holiday any different? It is part of the compensation package. I always take all of it and would not even consider doing otherwise unless the company paid me off for it.

Neil
 ElbowsB 02 Jul 2014

I get 30 days plus 5 days extra for long service, plus bank holidays, and plus however many days fall between Christmas and New Year each year (when we shut down). I know it's really good, and that's why I've been there long enough to be getting the extra 5 days! I don't have a problem using it all, but do sometimes carry some from one year into another to have more holidays in one year than the previous. I started this year with 5 extra (so 40 total), but I think I'm gonna use them all up this time.
JMGLondon 02 Jul 2014

More common than you might think. Lots of staff don't use their full entitlement for a variety of reasons - but within certain sectors there is certainly a cultural barrier when it comes to taking leave - usually propagated by senior management.
 Dax H 02 Jul 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

> More common than you might think. Lots of staff don't use their full entitlement for a variety of reasons - but within certain sectors there is certainly a cultural barrier when it comes to taking leave - usually propagated by senior management.

This is my experience as well, I have 2 people who I practically have to kick out of the door to make sure they use their time off.

I have been thinking about this thread a lot today whilst driving and have a few musings.
Going back a few years when there were just 3 of us it was easy. 2 site engineers and an office guy.
1 engineer off the other just tends to reactive work.
Office guy off 1 engineer as normal the other tends to the phone.
Then there were 5 of us, 3 engineers and 2 admin. Again easy to cover following the above method as overheads were still relatively low.
Now there are 10 of us.
3 admin, 6 engineers and 1 apprentice, you would think that more people would make it easier but that is certainly not the case.
JMGLondon 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Dax H:

Assuming you don't have distinct demand cycles between which it's easier to grant leave, I'd make sure you have a very clear policy that doesn't just outline entitlement but ensures that your admin staff can't take time off at the same time, likewise the engineers. Also, leave should be planned well in advance by your staff - so within your policy it could be worth stating something along the lines of annual leave >3 days must be approved no less than 6 weeks before the leave date...

Hard to get right - the joys of running a small business!
 Philip 02 Jul 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

25 + bank holidays + 5 earned between 10 and 20 years service. Of the 20, between 13 and 15 are fixed each year.
 Dax H 02 Jul 2014
In reply to JMGLondon:

> Assuming you don't have distinct demand cycles between which it's easier to grant leave, I'd make sure you have a very clear policy that doesn't just outline entitlement but ensures that your admin staff can't take time off at the same time, likewise the engineers. Also, leave should be planned well in advance by your staff - so within your policy it could be worth stating something along the lines of annual leave >3 days must be approved no less than 6 weeks before the leave date...

> Hard to get right - the joys of running a small business!

I do exactly that. It's in the contracts that they can't be off at the same time and all leave has to be approved in advance.
That said if someone rang me tonight wanting the rest of the week off it would be granted unless I had a Damn good reason not to.
I have good people and there is a lot of give and take.
They don't need to use holidays to cover doctors appointments or if a new carpet is being fit etc (as long as the Mick isn't taken) and in return if someone needs to start early or finish late they do with no complaints (though if it happens a lot they get a little tickle added to the wage as a thank you).

Forgot to add, we get 3 months "long service leave" after 10 years in post.

> An employee accrues long service leave at the rate of 1/5th of a month’s leave for each year of service (approximately 6.06 weeks leave after 7 years continuous service).

http://www.workplaceinfo.com.au/resources/employment-topics-a-z/long-servic...
redsonja 03 Jul 2014

I recently started a new job, part time. they told me I would have 14 days hol a year. I spoke to CAB who worked out the minimum hol I should have is 20 days. when I told my new boss this, he happily agreed. I don't know if he was just trying it on or genuinely didn't know

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...