UKC

Derbyshire & Bacon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cú Chullain 02 Jul 2014
The airwaves will be such a worse off place without the moon faced pompous one and Bacon boy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28105640

Richard Bacon and Victoria Derbyshire, two of the biggest names on 5 live, are to leave the station later this year.

Shelagh Fogarty will also move on in the autumn as part of a daytime shake-up for the BBC talk radio station.

Derbyshire said it would be "a huge wrench to leave", while Bacon said he would "always be grateful" to 5 live.

The new schedule will see Adrian Chiles and Peter Allen host a new mid-morning programme, 5 live Daily, and a new afternoon show on every day but Friday.

Chiles will host 5 live Daily in the 10:00 to 13:00 slot on Mondays and Tuesdays, with Allen hosting for the rest of the week.

BBC Sport presenter Dan Walker and BBC Northern Ireland's Sarah Brett will co-host the other new show, Afternoon Edition, from 13:00 to 16:00 on Monday to Thursday.

Simon Mayo and Mark Kermode's Film Review show will retain the afternoon slot on Fridays after a new Friday Sports Panel between 13:00 and 14:00.

Tony Livesey will take on Allen's current role as co-presenter of Drive, with Chris Warburton taking over Livesey's slot on Weekend Breakfast.

Punditry show Fighting Talk will also have two new hosts in Georgie Thompson and stand-up comedian Josh Widdicombe.
Shelagh Fogarty Shelagh Fogarty joined BBC Radio 5 live in 1999

"Victoria, Shelagh and Richard have all played such key roles delivering fantastic live radio and I wish them every success with their future projects," said 5 live controller Jonathan Wall.

"This Autumn feels the right time to refresh parts of our schedule as we follow on from what's already proving to be a wonderful sporting summer."

"5 live has been a spectacular place to work, I've got nothing but good things to say about it," said Bacon, whose new projects include a BBC One talent search for "Britain's best amateur painter".

"It's been a hugely important part of my career and life, and I'll always be grateful, and a listener."

In her own statement, Fogarty said 5 live had given her "some of the happiest times and richest experiences" of her working life.

"I'm very sad to be leaving but it's definitely time to do so," she went on. "I'm spending the summer exploring a number of opportunities, before deciding what's next."

Derbyshire, meanwhile, spoke about her departure at the end of her show on Tuesday.

She said she would be launching a new show "elsewhere on the BBC" while revealing she would still be doing "collaborations" with 5 live.

"You and I have shared so many experiences so I want to thank you so much for trusting me," she told her listeners.

"I will definitely miss all of you."
 Postmanpat 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Cú Chullain:

Richard Bacon had almost become competent at his job. Back to square one then.
 Fredt 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Cú Chullain:

And yet Nicky Campbell, the worst one there, remains!
Removed User 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I've already emailed them with my thoughts about the appointment of Adrian Chiles. Not the best move for the listeners in my opinion.
OP Cú Chullain 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Postmanpat:

> Richard Bacon had almost become competent at his job. Back to square one then.

He had got better, but he still overshadows his guests. I can understand him putting an alternative point of view to get a response from the interviewee, but he will interrupt when the person is halfway through their answer. Basically he then has an argument, not a challenging interview.

Funnily enough, that's where I think Nicky Campbell is good - he allows the interviewee to lay out all their talking points before dismantling just one or two of them with a follow up question.

Generally though I got fed up with the human f*cking interest angle being taken in every story and the fact that whatever government policy was being discussed, they had a single issue pressure group on who was treated as a witness of fact and then a government minister who was treated as a criminal liar. I'm not a Tory, but I am an intelligent person and I want analysis and a degree of balance.

This is a tendency of much of broadcasting these days and not just BBC. Some PR mouthpiece turns up in the studio and delivers a heartwrenching speech, at the bottom of which is the demand that their particular hobby horse should be lavishly funded from the public purse, twinned with the unspoken assumption that public funds descend like pennies from heaven, and it's only unreasonableness or cruelty on the part of government which is stopping this. And the interviewer nods sagely and makes editorialising noises of the "it really is appalling" sort.

They then turn round and savage politicians who are doing their best to allocate limited public funds across a huge variety of potential claimants and lambast them for their wickedness.

I'm all for holding politicians to account, but don't pretend that they're the only people out there who have an agenda.

JM 02 Jul 2014
Richard Bacon lives down the road from me. He walks around looking unemployed at the best of times!

Nevis-the-cat 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Cú Chullain:

That's why I stoppped listening to the today program - the desperate need to turn over anyone smelling fainlty of public office was turning me into Simon 4.

Life is now much better with 300gb hardrive of assorted old school ska and Canadian PSR podcasts.
 Postmanpat 02 Jul 2014
In reply to Cú Chullain:

> He had got better, but he still overshadows his guests. I can understand him putting an alternative point of view to get a response from the interviewee, but he will interrupt when the person is halfway through their answer. Basically he then has an argument, not a challenging interview.

> Funnily enough, that's where I think Nicky Campbell is good - he allows the interviewee to lay out all their talking points before dismantling just one or two of them with a follow up question.

> I'm all for holding politicians to account, but don't pretend that they're the only people out there who have an agenda.

Agree with all you say. The trouble originally Bacon was that he was lightweight. Initially he was simply out of his depth outside his media and entertainment comfort areas. He got better but still couldn't hide his shallowly understood Gaurdianista sympathies and never had the breadth or depth of knowledge that Mayo had, or had assimilated from his researchers.

Having said that, the pieces Bacon did with the terminally ill Brummie cancer sufferer were outstanding journalism.

Campbell is very sharp but a jumped up bell end.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...