UKC

The Devizes to Westminster

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jimjimjim 03 Jul 2014
Just wondered if any ukc lot have had a go at the long one. Just started training having never paddled before and would like any tips or stories related. Before someone says 'why dont you go to a kayak forum'...Im a ukc guy.
cheers
 Doug 03 Jul 2014
In reply to jimjimjim:
trained for it all winter many years ago, then my partner dropped out a couple of weeks before the event. Shall we say I was a little upset.

But an odd event to choose if you've never canoed before
Post edited at 19:18
 JPGR 03 Jul 2014
In reply to jimjimjim:

Did as a Junior 3 times, supported seniors and know plenty of people who have done it. Is a great Challenge, best advice is to join your local canoe club who will be able to help with training / advice. Where are you based?
 JPGR 03 Jul 2014
In reply to jimjimjim:
Just seen you're based in Nottingham. Really good canoe club there which will have lots of experience. You should think of doing the Waterside series and Thames side series to build up knowledge of the course and some endurance. Also plenty of training on the course to familiarise yourself with it. Would mean a bit if trek from Nottingham
 Baron Weasel 03 Jul 2014
In reply to jimjimjim:

My canoe has competed in it, however this was before I became the owner of said canoe...
 marsbar 03 Jul 2014
In reply to jimjimjim:

I haven't. But anyway my top tip is to get someone who knows to look at your forward paddling and optimise it as much as you can. Make sure you are using your big muscles in your back and core. If you paddle with your arms you will get tired a lot more quickly. Try to find your natural "gears" and somewhere in there is a speed and rhythm that suits you, not too slow, but one that you can sustain. Get as many miles under your bum as you can. Take climbing tape for your fingers.

Have fun.
OP jimjimjim 03 Jul 2014
In reply to jimjimjim:

Thanks for the replies. We plan to join the notts kayak club and do all the warm up races as well as plenty of trips to the canal and river.
I think climbings going to be on the back burner for a year.
 Cusco 03 Jul 2014
In reply to jimjimjim:

My mate at uni did it and said it was a bummer if you got towards London and the tide was coming in when you were at your most knackered...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...