UKC

16Gb vs 32Gb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 03 Jul 2014
Mrs. wants a tablet but is undecided whether to have a 16Gb or 32Gb. Can somebody give me a simplified version of what capacity you would get with each please.

Thanks.
 wilkie14c 03 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

The bigger the capacity the more docs, apps and photos etc you'll be able to store. Bigger is better to be honest however, 16gb is still a lot of space!
The trouble with tablets is that you can't add more space to them as you would a computer, I'd go for the 32gb one if not a stupid amount more price wise.
 Ben07 03 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex: well with the 16 gb you'll have 16gb. And with the 32gb you'll have 32gb storage
> Mrs. wants a tablet but is undecided whether to have a 16Gb or 32Gb. Can somebody give me a simplified version of what capacity you would get with each please.

> Thanks.

OP mypyrex 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Ben07:
Do you play the piano without using your hands?
Post edited at 19:37
 Ben07 03 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Well some one had to put it lol.
OP mypyrex 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Ben07:

Your reply was pathetically unfunny and childish but, to answer my own question, you are obviously such a clever, if immature, dick.
 Indy 03 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

What's the device?
OP mypyrex 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Indy:

Don't know yet. She's looking at several.
 Philip 03 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

16gb if you only view content. 32gb if you want to use it to store a music or photo collection.

16gb would store enough music and photos for a holiday and a few films to watch.
Removed User 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Philip:

It'd store more than that. He's obviously not pirating content based on his previous tech questions on here, so if you say a movie is 700mb that's a decent amount of them. Photos and Music are negligable in terms of space unless he's managing to get full discographies or something.

Just get 16gb mypyrex, you'll never even use half of it.
 Indy 03 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Would need to know the device and how it was being used to give any meaningful advice.
m0unt41n 03 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> Your reply was pathetically unfunny and childish but, to answer my own question, you are obviously such a clever, if immature, dick.

OK but it's a bit like you asking "cant decide between 25 litre or 50 litre rucksack, what's the difference?" and hoping someone would guess what you want it for and realise you wanted to know about using it.
 Bob 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Ben07:

> well with the 16 gb you'll have 16gb. And with the 32gb you'll have 32gb storage

Not quite. Not all the storage capacity is available as some of it is used by the OS and built in programs.

If the built in stuff came to 5Gb so on the 16Gb you'd have 11Gb and on the 32Gb you'd have 27Gb for storage.
 lost1977 03 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

For me 16gb is more than enough. Music is stored on my mp3 player not my tablet, I use Netflix so neither are movies, photos store online.
 Neil Williams 03 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

If you want to use it for more than just web browsing you want 32, IMO. Though if it takes SD cards you could expand later.

Neil
In reply to lost1977:

> For me 16gb is more than enough. Music is stored on my mp3 player not my tablet, I use Netflix so neither are movies, photos store online.

Interesting. I've been looking more and more at these new phones, to try to incorporate the functions now served by ipod and kindle, with the aim of reducing weight on travel.

I have an iphone 4s but find the screen too small for reading novels.

Some of the Samsung models now look like they are getting to good sizes.
 itsThere 03 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

16gb and buy a 64gb SD card
 Luke90 03 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

32GB if she wants to:
-Store a collection of videos on there
-Store a large collection of music
-Store a very large collection of images
-Download lots of graphically-rich games

Otherwise, save your money and get 16GB. (Or look for a tablet with expandable storage to save yourself the dilemma but they're increasingly rare.)
 wbo 03 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I have 16gb on my iPad and once theres s couple of films on there wish i had 32
Jim C 03 Jul 2014
In reply to wbo:

> I have 16gb on my iPad and once theres s couple of films on there wish i had 32

We have a new granddaughter, lots of photos and vids, 16gb iPad is getting chocked, I would have preferred a 32 but it was a Xmas present, so did not chose it.
Removed User 03 Jul 2014
In reply to Jim C:
You know you can transfer them to a hdd, right?
Post edited at 22:39
 The Lemming 03 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> Mrs. wants a tablet but is undecided whether to have a 16Gb or 32Gb. Can somebody give me a simplified version of what capacity you would get with each please.

> Thanks.

Has your wife considered what size screen she want's?

7 or 10 inch. This may be more important tha storage size.
 dek 03 Jul 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

Ive just got one of those new Samsung phones, lovely big screen right enough, very nippy on 4G.But utterly shyte as a telephone, my ancient iPhone 3 is way better for making calls.
 lost1977 03 Jul 2014
In reply to stroppygob:

The idea I'm trying to put across is you store different stuff in the most appropriate device and it reduces the need for a lot of internal storage on my tablet. Movies are a good example (4 movies on a tablet will make a big dent in available space on most tablet) and on an iPad that's expensive
 Blue Straggler 04 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:
> Your reply was pathetically unfunny and childish

In fairness to ben, your OP was "pathetically" childish and naive!

Get her a 64Gb one then come back and tell the thread that you are a WINNER

Post edited at 01:04
 Cú Chullain 04 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Depends on use really, if you want to watch decent quality films they can easily take up 700mb! For everything else 32gb should be plenty
 Carolyn 04 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

As said, mainly depends if you want to store high quality video on it. Mine's 32GB, and that's often used if I've downloaded TV programmes through iPlayer to watch on it.

Masses of photos, or music, might also need lots of space, but it's video that really uses it. You'll not need it if it's just for web browsing and a few games.
Lusk 04 Jul 2014
In reply to The Lemming:

> Has your wife considered what size screen she want's?

> 7 or 10 inch. This may be more important than storage size.

Women say "Size doesn't matter."
Bellie 04 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

I'm just in the process of looking for a tablet too and was thinking about storage, and the capacity of a 16gb tablet.

One example I can find is that out of the box (Based on an android device 16gb) you could expect 1,800 songs, or about 20 movies or about 12,500 ebooks. Calculations are based on their assumption that 1 eBook = 1 MB, 1 song = 7.68 MB, 1 movie = 614 MB.

Adding apps will lower that. No sure how the above relates to real world experience.

I was looking to watch movies whilst away, and have seen you can buy something like a mobile card reader (Kingston Technology MLW221 Mobilelite Wireless Reader £20) You plug an SD card in. It creates its own wifi stream so you can watch movies. Works on other devices at the same time apparently so you and Mrs Mypyrex could watch different movies on different tablets.

Has anyone had experience of this? Would make the initial storage capacity of the tablet irrelevant. Allowing me to buy a cheaper model from the off.
 The Lemming 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Bellie:
> I'm just in the process of looking for a tablet too and was thinking about storage, and the capacity of a 16gb tablet.

10 years ago 16Gb was a massive amount of storage but by today's media hungry standards, this is the bare minimum.

Of the publicised 16Gb, you may have to take off the operating system before adding quite a few apps, some music, a Ordinance Survey map or two, then add various captured photos and movies and you will soon realise that you do not have enough space within a week or two at least.

You could go Cloud for your storage, but if your Tablet does not have 3G then you are limited to WiFi. You could yse a mobile phone as a temporary router, called Tethering, but this could prove expensive if you have limited mobile data allowances.

I'd say 32Gb is the bare minimum for a Tablet, if there is no option to add a micro SD card to it.
Post edited at 11:49
 cander 04 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Thats not nice - be nice
 Blue Straggler 04 Jul 2014
In reply to cander:

> Thats not nice - be nice

You said it better than I!
 cander 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I've got Grandkids - I know how to deal with childish behaviour.
In reply to mypyrex:
Depends what you want to use it for.

Carrying all your music collection? Not nearly big enough. Well, depends on the size of the collection...

Carrying the entire UK mapping on the tablet? You'll need the 32G easily. And you'll only have a couple of gig left.

Just using it as a mobile browser & emailer? 16G plenty.

Best choice: get one with a microSD card slot; a Hudl, for instance (although that's limited to 32G max card size).

[edit: what everyone else said...]
Post edited at 13:54
 krikoman 04 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

> Your reply was pathetically unfunny and childish but, to answer my own question, you are obviously such a clever, if immature, dick.

So that's you told!!!

Naughty boy.

Dick indeed, is there any need for dick at this time of day?
 Dauphin 04 Jul 2014
In reply to krikoman:

Better watch it. Mr Pyrex is going to get all Falling Down on us.

32 man. Bigger is always better.

D
M0nkey 04 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

If you can't figure out the answer to this yourself it might be a good idea to delegate tablet shopping to someone else because this is the simplest of all the tablet shopping issues you will have to resolve.

If you can't figure out whether you want 16gb or 32gb, how on earth will you manage the inevitable Apple vs Android debate? And if you go for Android - which version, which manufacturer, which functionality etc etc etc.

It's like going on a climbing forum and saying "I want to take up climbing. Should I buy a 50m rope or 60m rope?".
OP mypyrex 04 Jul 2014
In reply to M0nkey:

I'm sorry you, and others, read my question a bit too literally. I was merely trying to make a comparison in terms of, for instance, how many pictures, emails, videos etc that would equate to.
 Dauphin 04 Jul 2014
In reply to mypyrex:

Less and less as the quality goes up. Struggle to fit a single HD film on my Dads 16Gb iPad.

D
 Ridge 04 Jul 2014
In reply to krikoman:

> is there any need for dick at this time of day?

<looks at Mrs Ridge hopefully>

Apparently not
Jim C 04 Jul 2014
In reply to Removed User:
> You know you can transfer them to a hdd, right?

Yep,that of course is an option, and possibly cheaper if you already have one, I would prefer to have the extra storage on the device though , much easier to take around with me to extended family and bore them witless with videos of my first granddaughter, and friends with photos of trips etc
( It's an iPad I have)

I remember when I bought my bulk storage 1terabyte , I thought I would never need anymore, who wrong I was , the whole family turned up with various devices, laptops , phones etc to save stuff to it is now full.
Post edited at 19:58

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...