UKC

Glueing hold onto concrete?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dan wisey 07 Jul 2014
Hey, longshot I know but does anyone have experience fixing resin holds onto smooth concrete? If so what did you use or does anyone have any recommendations on what might work. I know they are supposed to be fixed properly and all that but truth is I need to put them up in stealth mode and can't risk using a drill, on hammer. I have tried one particular glue which eventually holds well but once you really crank on it the hold comes away from the concrete. Also the concrete is really smooth which doesn't make the task any easier. Alas I fear I might not be able to do it, without perhaps some industrial strength adhesive.
Dan
 Fraser 07 Jul 2014
In reply to dannyW:

I expect some sort of PVA adhesive / bonding agent would do the job.
 jkarran 07 Jul 2014
In reply to dannyW:

Getting both mating surfaces clean and ideally with a little surface roughness will help.

It sounds to me these are perhaps going up somewhere they shouldn't be which is perhaps also somewhere people may graffiti so it's possible the concrete you describe as smooth has a low adhesion coating.

Certainly for holds with a reasonable glue area (like the uniform 5 or 6" round disks with lots of different holds on the climbing surface) I'd try something strong and gap filling like gorilla glue though you'd need to combine it with a bit of double sided tape to support the hold as the glue cures. A run of the mill 2 part epoxy like Araldite would also likely do the job with similar problems, more cost and more hassle.

I'd suggest you put them up with screws somewhere you're allowed to.

jk
 stp 07 Jul 2014
In reply to dannyW:

You can actually create holds from the cement used to glue in holds:

One example: "Sakadur 33 which is an epoxy repair mortar"

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=591723&v=1#x7817600

I think the hold on Justified at Malham was created that way (removed and reclimbed later as Unjustified)
 neil9216 07 Jul 2014
In reply to dannyW:

Google CT1
It's an industrial glue. Used like silicone however will stick to anything.
I've not used it personly. I have however seen it demonstrated on a 4" concrete block
The sales rep stuck various items to it.
A shot glass half full of water.
A kitchen unit handle( metal)
A piece of wood
A pencil
20 pence
And a tea spoon
And more than a year later all are still stuck.
I fact you can pick the block by any of the items that you can grab a hold of.
So I would reckon this would be the stuff you after.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Neil
OP dan wisey 08 Jul 2014
In reply to dannyW:

Thanks for the replies, that ct 1 looks promising. I will look into it a little further.
Dan
 Jimbo C 08 Jul 2014
In reply to dannyW:

Cleanliness and surface roughness is likely to be the key (ha ha pun intended).

There is a product called 'cement off' which is used for cleaning away cement stains from bricks/ tiles etc which may be useful. It's basically an acid which dissolves cement so would provide some surface roughness if applied to a patch of smooth concrete. It would be best to wipe the area with meths first to remove any grease.

After that, and proper preparation of the hold, the right adhesive - whatever that is - should work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...