UKC

Being too tense while climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Dangerous 07 Jul 2014
How do I get over this? I've been climbing regularly outside for over a year now but it's been pointed out that I'm too tense while on the rock and that I need to relax. I was bouldering indoors for a few years before I started leading so maybe it's a bad habit. I'm not bothered by taking falls, I just never want to fail a route. So how do I stop myself bouldering my way up sports routes?
In reply to Pete Dangerous:

Blump
 james1978 09 Jul 2014

Do you sometimes feel like you're both a wigwam and a teepee at the same time?

No. Have you ever eaten beans straight from a can using a 2 finger Kitkat as a spoon?
 james1978 09 Jul 2014

No. I give in Pete - what's the punchline?

There's no joke, ergo no punchline.
 lowersharpnose 09 Jul 2014

Remember, if you succeed every time, then the routes are too easy. Failures can be good for you.
 Nick Russell 09 Jul 2014

> I'm not bothered by taking falls, I just never want to fail a route.

You've identified the problem here: the 'fear of failure'. You have to learn that falling off isn't a failure, as long as you analyse why you fell and use it as an opportunity to improve. It's not really something that you can train as such (with specific drills, for example): it's just getting into a different way of thinking.

p.s. I have also failed to decipher the kit kats comment

What's the wigwam/teepee reference? Maybe I've missed something.
 David Coley 09 Jul 2014

Have you read 9 out of 10 and espresso lessons?

I've got 9 Out Of 10 but got a bit bored of it. I'm not good at sitting still and reading. It seemed to suggest falling a lot.
 Dandan 09 Jul 2014

At the risk of going briefly on-topic, there are all sorts of established methods of relaxation, why not try one of those?
From a deep breath before you begin to placing yourself in some kind of yogic meditative state, try just getting yourself chilled out before you get on the rock perhaps?
I imagine some people would suggest trying to keep a clear mind while climbing so you don't create stress which transfers to your muscles, but personally I have to be thinking about the rock in order to remember the sequence or spot the holds.
I'm currently trying to think about keeping a minimal grip at all times so i don't waste energy over-gripping, perhaps trying to focus on one specific thing like that might help a little, once it becomes second nature you could move on to a different aspect.
In reply to Dandan:

That sounds like good advice. The over gripping thing rings true. I'm injured at the moment but when I start training again I'm going to try a different approach. Moving slowly, easing my grip and if I fall, I fall and I'll try again later.
 ChrisBrooke 09 Jul 2014

> What's the wigwam/teepee reference? Maybe I've missed something.

Two tents.....
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Oh yeah, I see. Tennis elbow must have affected my humerus.
 SteveD 09 Jul 2014

> What's the wigwam/teepee reference? Maybe I've missed something.

You're being in two tents?
 ChrisBrooke 09 Jul 2014

> That sounds like good advice. The over gripping thing rings true. I'm injured at the moment but when I start training again I'm going to try a different approach. Moving slowly, easing my grip and if I fall, I fall and I'll try again later.

It's a pretty good approach. If I know I'm in for a pump-fest I'll consciously repeat to myself "don't overgrip" or "minimum pressure" or something like that to encourage me to use the minimum necessary pressure through the fingers. Worked well on Left Wall recently, though I see you're mostly climbing sport where I imagine it would be even more useful!
 Jon Stewart 09 Jul 2014

> How do I get over this? I've been climbing regularly outside for over a year now but it's been pointed out that I'm too tense while on the rock and that I need to relax.

What is it that makes they say that? The way you yell "SLACK! F^CKING SLACK!", red in the face, while clipping, or just your climbing style?

> I was bouldering indoors for a few years before I started leading so maybe it's a bad habit.

Are boulderers tense?

> I'm not bothered by taking falls, I just never want to fail a route.

Is it that easy to separate? The desire not to fail should help you get up stuff, no? The problem with an OTT fear of failure is that you don't try stuff, or react badly when you fall off.

> So how do I stop myself bouldering my way up sports routes?

Not sure how bouldering and leading styles should differ. Both should involve climbing efficiently, the only difference being clipping the rope.

I can't quite see what your problem is. I think to get a more relaxed, efficient climbing style, most people would recommend mileage: always warm up on plenty of easy routes, concentrating on climbing them with as near perfect technique as you can. If it's genuinely a problem you want to address and you've got time, go for whole days of mileage, maintaining perfect technique the whole time. Could take a while though...

In reply to Jon Stewart:

> What is it that makes they say that? The way you yell "SLACK! F^CKING SLACK!", red in the face, while clipping, or just your climbing style?

> Are boulderers tense?

> Is it that easy to separate? The desire not to fail should help you get up stuff, no? The problem with an OTT fear of failure is that you don't try stuff, or react badly when you fall off.

> Not sure how bouldering and leading styles should differ. Both should involve climbing efficiently, the only difference being clipping the rope.

> I can't quite see what your problem is. I think to get a more relaxed, efficient climbing style, most people would recommend mileage: always warm up on plenty of easy routes, concentrating on climbing them with as near perfect technique as you can. If it's genuinely a problem you want to address and you've got time, go for whole days of mileage, maintaining perfect technique the whole time. Could take a while though...

It's the way I moved on the rock, scrambling about for the next hand or foothold. Not looking comfortable.

Bouldering is very different to sports climbing I'd say. Very different in style. It requires more pacing, use of rests, endurance for longer routes rather than power endurance.

I have done days where I'm just looking to do mileage and yeah that could help. Recently I've had few trips out and I want to be taking home hard ticks. Maybe a bit of patience and easier mileage would be good.
 Jon Stewart 09 Jul 2014

> It's the way I moved on the rock, scrambling about for the next hand or foothold. Not looking comfortable.

I wouldn't focus on "being tense" then, I'd focus on just "climbing better", which is about practice more than anything. I don't really believe you can, for example, do some breathing exercises to relax and then see a big improvement in technique. It's about having miles and miles under your belt - climbing outside for a year isn't long if you're not doing it every day.

> Bouldering is very different to sports climbing I'd say. Very different in style. It requires more pacing, use of rests, endurance for longer routes rather than power endurance.

It is, but it's no better to scrabble around and snatch for holds bouldering rather than on a route. Just a matter of pace, rests and number of moves.

> I have done days where I'm just looking to do mileage and yeah that could help. Recently I've had few trips out and I want to be taking home hard ticks. Maybe a bit of patience and easier mileage would be good.

Are you redpointing or onsighting? I dunno much about it, but redpointing might be a good way to improve technique while getting the hard ticks? Then you can do moves without the hassle of finding the holds/uncertainty and you'll have to climb with good technique in order to have a chance on the route. Could help if you're not already doing it?
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'll always try the onsight but stay on for the redpoint until I get it or until it's time to leave. Maybe mileage is the key. Lots of no star 6a/6bs for me then
 Jon Stewart 09 Jul 2014

It might be worth thinking about how you can do it most efficiently so you still get enough good climbing done to really enjoy the day. Doing a few laps on warm-up routes on toprope doesn't take long and gives a chance to focus on technique without other distractions. But I reckon fundamentally mileage is the answer.

Ok. Cheers Jon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...