UKC

Where to get previous generation Camelots re-slinged?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 charliehl 07 Jul 2014
Hi,

Where can I get them done? BD will help if I ship to the US, is there a anywhere in the UK?

Cheers

Charlie
 deepsoup 07 Jul 2014
In reply to charliehl:

Afraid not. This has come up here a few times before, and it seems none of the companies that could do it are willing to.

Besides BD themselves, there are third party companies in the US that do it too. (Less concerned about the litigation I suppose.) eg: https://www.mtntools.com/cat/rclimb/cams/mt_camresling.htm
 bigbobbyking 07 Jul 2014
In reply to charliehl:

Question to the floor: is it not ok to resling with cord or tape tied by hand? Some of my cams look like they could do with a resling...
 CurlyStevo 07 Jul 2014
In reply to bigbobbyking:

It's fine to resling the previous generation camalots yourself. I'd use either 7 or 8mm accessory cord (8 would exceed the original sling strength and 7 would be a fraction under possibly) 5.5mm spectra/ dyneema CORD (tied with a triple fishermans) or 16mm tubular tape tied with a tape knot.
 Michael Gordon 08 Jul 2014
In reply to charliehl:

Black Diamond have done it for me no bother. Sent it through the local shop (Tiso).
 d conacher 08 Jul 2014
In reply to charliehl:

It must be possible to find someone to bar sew dynema in the uk,i will ask dmm.
 jimtitt 08 Jul 2014
In reply to d conacher:

The sling and body are certified as PPE and any repairs have to be re-certified. For DMM (for example) to certify a cam they didn´t make like an old Camelot it would cost thousands and they have to destroy it anyway in the testing.
 UKC Forums 08 Jul 2014
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear
Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Jamie Wakeham 08 Jul 2014
In reply to bigbobbyking:
To be clear: it's safe to re-equip the older style of Camalot (with the solid metal loop). It's not safe to do this with the newer (plastic-encased wire loop) type - they have to be done professionally to get the multiple turns of tape around the wire loop.
Post edited at 21:06
In reply to CurlyStevo:

I'm with you.
I've reslung my old solid stem Friends, 2, 2.5, 3 and 3.5 on Spectra, double slung so that they're like DMM cams. I've also cut off a shortish length of some of the old original tapes and threaded the spectra through, it means I can identify them easily- message me off forum to send you a photo.
I think the rock or my technique will be weaker than the slinging system. (IMHO).
In reply to ade sheffield:

> I'm with you.

> I've reslung my old solid stem Friends, 2, 2.5, 3 and 3.5 on Spectra, double slung so that they're like DMM cams. I've also cut off a shortish length of some of the old original tapes and threaded the spectra through, it means I can identify them easily- message me off forum to send you a photo.

> I think the rock or my technique will be weaker than the slinging system. (IMHO).

-Sorry, Dyneema, from Needlesports.
 L.A. 09 Jul 2014

Always worth a read
And note the bit where they say:
' Dyneema/Spectra doesn't hold a knot. Never use a knot with Dyneema/Spectra.'
http://eu.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/qc-labreslinging-camalots-and-c3s.ht...
In reply to L.A.:
Why is it sold- would Needlesports be responsible for any failures?
Have used triple fisherman's - weighted. Then tidied up with self annealing electrician's tape, and leave a decent tail.
This is with regard to Friends, so sorry, gone off original topic.
Post edited at 10:37
 deepsoup 09 Jul 2014

That "never use a knot" is referring to dyneema tape, not the cord that Needlesports sell. But even the cord is a bit slippery, which is why they recommend a triple fisherman's instead of double.
In reply to deepsoup:

My thoughts also.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...