UKC

MS Office - what is a "license card"?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nic 08 Jul 2014
Looking to update my Office for Mac, and there seem to be 2 different versions of "Home and Student" on Amazon - one is "license card" for around £76, and the other, er, isn't, for around £118?

Any idea what the difference is...and any other places I should look to buy?

Thanks
 Luke90 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Nic:

The cheap version doesn't include the software on a CD, it just includes a licence key and instructions for downloading the software itself (perfectly legit).
 Jack B 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Nic:

This maybe?
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/buy/product-key-card-FX101850744.aspx
I could be wrong though, MS licencing is heinously complicated.

If so, then the licence card version will not work on a your mac, because the software wasn't preloaded. In fact I didn't think there was a licence card version for mac at all. Remember that office and office for mac are different, don't buy office by mistake (unless you have boot camp).

Also, Microsoft often release a mac version of office one year after the windows version (Office 2007 -> office for mac 2008, 2010->2011) and there is a new version of office for windows out fairly recently. So there may be an office for mac 2014 coming soon. You could wait and see before buying, especially as support for office for mac 2011 ends in 18 months.

You could also consider LibreOffice or Kingsoft. They have most of the features of office, but compatibility isn't always the greatest. But then again, compatibility between office and office for mac isn't always perfect.
OP Nic 08 Jul 2014
In reply to Luke 90 and Jack B:

Ah OK, thanks, that makes sense, I prefer the CD version, and will definitely get the Mac version! Sadly I need to upgrade now, as I have 2008 at home and it's too painful dealing with a radically different version of Excel in the office (lower case o...)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...