UKC

popping knee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phil_91 09 Jul 2014
Hi guys, just wondering if any of you have ever suffered with painless popping in your knee or knees, i love bouldering but recently have had to slow down on it as one of my knees keeps making a loud painless pop sound, sometimes with a twinge if i jump off from high up.

I am yet to go to the doctors as last time i went (about a year ago) he said its nothing to worry about unless it locks or gets real painful, though that was for a cracking sound bending down

It even pops on landing if i do a big jump from the floor

any ideas or suggestions?
 WILLS 09 Jul 2014
In reply to photophil:

I had this all my adult life. It wasn't until 5 years ago it started to be accompanied with swelling after long scrambles or walk or full climbing days. It was at its worst after bouldering sessions. Where it would swell and ache. I was diagnosed with a meniscal tear. I had a small procedure and its fine since. I just don't drop off the top of the bouldering wall. I down climb. Knee lasted until I was 33 so wasn't bad. Now it's feels great.
 hamsforlegs 10 Jul 2014
In reply to photophil:

This could be any number of things, from a strained ligament to slight damage to the meniscus to a full rupture of a ligament.

Go and get it checked out. Even if it can't be fixed you will probably get some insight into how to avoid further catastrophic harm.
Simos 08 Aug 2014
In reply to photophil:

Didn't have pops but have knee pain regularly from bouldering - I almost never even jump off,I dowclimb, but just bouldering (rotational forces etc) seems to be quite hard on the knees!
 Durbs 08 Aug 2014
In reply to photophil:

Both my knees have popped for as long as I can remember, just going down into a full squat (e.g. getting ready for a sit start) sounds like a quick castanet flurry (almost a ratamacue if you're a percussionist)

No pain, and not worried about it... no idea what it is though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...