UKC

Huddersfield Area Guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm looking for a copy of the Huddersfield Area Guidebook which apparently went out of print in 2002, but there's been whispers of a digital copy. Does anyone have a copy of this guidebook, or know where to get the digital copy?
It covers places such as Honley Wood, and Pule Hill Rocks which I know are slowly being re'guided' by Kirklessclimbing.co.uk, however nothing beats a solid paper guide.
 Graeme Hammond 10 Jul 2014
In reply to Harry William Brook:

some of the crags are covered here:

http://www.bmcshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6506
In reply to Graeme Hammond

Thanks Graeme, but I've already got that guide and it misses out the crags that are within walking distance from me, and in my opinion, the better ones.
 craig h 10 Jul 2014

Google is the answer to online guide, however a hard copy of the guide is like trying to find rocking horse shit

http://www.kirkleesclimbing.co.uk/home
In reply to craig h:

Thanks, but the online guide is still being compiled and lacks details for some of the better crags as it predominantly focuses on boulder problems. I'm hoping the guide will have more detail on the routes I've been cleaning up.
 craig h 10 Jul 2014

Honley Quarry isn't covered in the Huddersfield Area Guidebook, I have just checked, get a copy of the 1998 Yorkshire Gritstone Guide for the climbs, not sure if Honley made it into the recent Yorkshire Grit Guide.
In reply to craig h:

Alright, thanks I'll track down the 1998 then.

I've tracked down a digital copy of the Huddersfield Area, so should anyone be searching the forum for it in future, send me a message and I'll send it across.
Removed User 10 Jul 2014

Huddersfield Area is a bouldering guide only. No routes I'm afraid. The only other coverage is the Yorkshire Grit guide.

Notice you have joined HUMS facebook group - are you a student?
In reply to Harry William Brook: Which crags are you particularly interested in, in other words which are the better ones you mention in your post?

Removed User 11 Jul 2014
In reply to craig h:

Honley is going in the new guide and it has had a fair cleanup recently. Lot more work to do but could be an exceptional venue in time.
 ro8x 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Removed User:

Do you ever go up in the week? I'd be interested in lending a hand.
Removed User 11 Jul 2014
In reply to ro8x:

Alex Thompson off here has been going down fairly regular. I don't get out much due to being run ragged by a 10 month year old. But if I do it tends to be Wednesdays.
 craig h 11 Jul 2014

It is a stunning venue, I have done a few routes there in the past.

It should become a popular venue once it's been cleaned up as the main issue was all the trees shading the walls.

Good luck on the clean up.
Removed User 15 Jul 2014
Hi mate - I understand you are after info on Blackmoorfoot quarry. This has no climbing recorded on it though there is evidence of development. This is similar to a couple of other venues in the area. There are some okay looking lines there.

I've never managed to track down any details of original ascensionists.

You should join the HUMS forum - lots of local climbers who get out regular and are interested in these minor local venues.

www.huddersfieldmountaineering.com/
Post edited at 10:46

Hi, yep predominately interested in Honley Quarry/Wood, Longwood Edge, and Blackmoorfoot. I've joined the forum; glad to see I'm not alone in wanting to clean up/explore these neglected lines. Herein, I'll post on there regarding these venues.

Martin (Frank the Husky) has all of the notes for Honley Quarry. They'll be in the new guidebook. Much of the left hand side was cleaned though there's still lots to go at. The right hand side hasn't been cleaned yet but a lot of it has been climbed previously. Should see more traffic now it will be in a guidebook and the trees are gone.
 Dave Musgrove 15 Jul 2014

Page 566 of the current YMC YG guide lists 31 routes in Honley Quarry and all these plus more will appear in Vol 2 of the new edition due out this winter. The crag has had an extensive clean-up and needs traffic to keep it clean. I've just finished proofreading the Kirklees area chapter and there is also a full write up of Holmfirth and Buckstones in new the guide for the first time plus lots more minor venues.
In reply to Dave Musgrove:

Thats all great news Dave, thanks!
 Alex Thompson 30 Jul 2014

Honley Old Wood & Longwood Edge are covered on Kirklees Climbing, Honley Quarry will be in Vol.2 of Yorkshire Grit.

I have climbed a few lines on the tower at Blackmoorfoot a few years ago, not much to shout about. The back walls are bigger & looser, but could be pretty adventurous...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...