UKC

Thefts from rucksacks at foot of Black Crag Borrowdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ade Clifford 11 Jul 2014
While a friend and I were climbing on Troutdale Pinnacle yesterday thieves stole cameras/jackets / some money/car keys and a rucksack from sacs left at the bottom of the route.Some very nice novice climbers with a guide lost stuff on their first ever significant rock climb as did a member of a local mountain rescue team doing some pre Dolomites training.Suspect this and other Borrowdale sites could be targeted over the next few weeks.As most will know the crag is not exactly by the road so would not usually be thought of as a place to worry too much about security of kit.Pretty sad business.I hope that no other climbers get caught out.
 jon_gill1 11 Jul 2014
In reply to adrian clifford:

what a shame,it deeply saddens me when things like this occur.i hope it doesn't put any of the people mentioned off climbing outside again.
 Jon Stewart 11 Jul 2014

Really sad. This has never happened to me, even at places like Caley Roadside(!) and I thought it was a fortunate quirk of life that thieves had collectively failed to realised there was a bounty to be had nicking stuff left at the bottom of routes.
 Rog Wilko 11 Jul 2014

What a shocking story! I was at Black Crag yesterday as well, and met the novice climbers with a local instructor. As we started our route I said as an afterthought "I suppose I'd better take my wallet and not leave it in the sac", never thinking that thieves would bother to walk so far uphill on the off-chance of making a killing. I wouldn't be surprised about theft at Shepherd's or Quayfoot, just 5 mins from the road. Lots of people reported theft at Castle Rock recently - last year? - and presumably this is likely to be the work of the same toe-rags. I'm just wondering if these people are climbers, or are they just pretending to be (not easy) or are they just random-looking ne'er-do-wells. At somewhere like Black Crag you would certainly look askance at anyone who wasn't clearly climbing, since the path is unlikely to be used by anyone else. It doesn't seem to be a right-of-way and isn't marked on most maps I believe. Perhaps a few photographs of unlikely people hovering around the crag would be helpful in apprehending these parasites. But don't get your camera smashed (or worse) by trying this.
 Skyfall 11 Jul 2014

Depressing. Thanks for posting.
OP Ade Clifford 11 Jul 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Yes it was all a bit sad Rog.The police are on the case and checking a particular van registration which may be a "red herring".I did feel sorry for the novice climbers particularly,but they won't be put off and seem very keen to do a lot more.
In reply to Skyfall:

Thats ok-just expect people might need to be a bit extra careful for a while until the thieves are tracked down.
In reply to jon_gill1:

I think they are very keen Jon and were having a brilliant day until the theft.I might offer to take them climbing(for free!) if i can get ahold of them
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Yes it is rather sad Jon-but likely to be a small thieving team i guess who should be easily enough spotted eventually one would hope.The police are on the case anyway.I had a wallet pinched from my motorbike pannier at Crookrise once about 15 yrs ago having left it there in error ,and someone tried to force a window on my car when parked up at Stanage 20 yrs ago-the memory of these episodes lingers on !!-but not as much as the pain felt when my Honda 400/4 motorbike was pinched from the Edinburgh medical school car park in 1979 while was on lochnagar over a weekend with the EUMC climbing club (Joe Simpson was a member then by the way but he owned nothing worth nicking back then !)

Very depressing and boils the blood - pity anyone caught redhanded. As a matter of course it is always wise to use bum bag for keys wallet etc. Losing stuff is one thing but the inconvenience and outwash is almost as bad. I never leave valuables in the sac as a result of this pilfering in recent times. I drove past the car park yesterday a couple of times.
Terrahawks - Zelda - "we will get them".
DC
 gd303uk 12 Jul 2014
Tis depressing and surprising , in that it is a good trek to the crag and usually made only by climbers. I hope they get caught and manage to crawl back to their car without too much crying.

I have left my bag at the bottom of nearly every crag I have climbed and never had anything stolen , lost plenty of stuff but never had any of it nicked.
I don't plan on changing my habits but worry it could be a matter of time.
Might hide car keys better in future, I usually put valuables like keys in my old sweaty socks best safe around.
Post edited at 13:18
 ewar woowar 12 Jul 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

> Might hide car keys better in future, I usually put valuables like keys in my old sweaty socks best safe around.

Not now, it isn't!

;~))
 gd303uk 12 Jul 2014
In reply to ewar woowar:

hahaha,

next level of defence is the skiddie grundie, I pity the fool
Andy Gamisou 12 Jul 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

> Tis depressing and surprising , in that it is a good trek to the crag and usually made only by climbers.

Sadly climbers are, in my experience, as likely as other groups to be light fingered.
 ewar woowar 12 Jul 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

> hahaha,

> next level of defence is the skiddie grundie, I pity the fool

I don't think I would, even if I knew for sure they were in there!

;~))
 Firestarter 12 Jul 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

And if that doesn't work - Claymores.
 Rog Wilko 13 Jul 2014

> The police are on the case and checking a particular van registration which may be a "red herring".

There was a rather scruffy white Transit-type van in the car park when we got back, but of course I don't know the number, so this is probably no help.
 PATTISON Bill 13 Jul 2014
In reply to adrian cliffor Sadly not a new problem we had our gear cleaned out at Lower Falcon over 30 years ago I always carry wallet and passport ,when abroad,hung round my neck and tucked down my shirt.Someone tried picking up my rucsac whilst i was soloing on Wallowbarrow tillIthreatened them with a large rock,the guy said sorry I thought it was mine .I told him to go forth and multiply.
Rigid Raider 13 Jul 2014

Not just on the crags. Years ago a bloke picked up a suitcase that I had left at the end of a railway carriage and got off the train with it. I caught him up and confronted him; he told me he thought it belonged to somebody else and he was carrying it for her.
 mike123 13 Jul 2014
really sorry to hear this, hard to believe that anybody but climbers would be familiar with the base of black crag as a potential target. I ve never been that surprised when shepherds has a spell of this (every couple of years or so) since lots of people are taken climbing there by various projects and centers, it of course only takes one of them to see the "opportunity" as they are walked along the base of the crag to and from brown slabs , but I cant see anybody using black crag for this. I d like to know who did it for more than retribution but more to know how they knew where to look. Several years ago a mate who was in the police spent several shifts staking out various lakes car parks, I seem to remember that the people they caught had been very busy and not just robbed the odd car , so well worth being extra careful for a bit,
 Chris Murray 13 Jul 2014
In reply to AndrewW:

> Sadly climbers are, in my experience, as likely as other groups to be light fingered.

Fortunately my experience has been exactly the opposite.
 Trangia 13 Jul 2014

This sort of thing makes my blood boil.

I wish we still chopped off the hands of thieves.

If they did happen to be climbers that would end their climbing career......
 Timmd 13 Jul 2014
In reply to Le Chevalier Mal Fet:

> Fortunately my experience has been exactly the opposite.

My bro and I have had harnesses taken from his cycle courier bag in a climbing wall in the past.
Andy Gamisou 13 Jul 2014
In reply to Le Chevalier Mal Fet:

What does that mean - that climbers have forced stuff back on you? Lucky you. I've had a mobile phone knicked whilst at a popular climbing wall and belay device, carabiner, chalk bag and bits and pieces lifted at a popular climbing venue. Also had half my rack lifted after a serious climbing fall (no worries, it only took me around 6 years to recover, so I guess I didn't really need it). In my opinion climbers are, if anything, rather less honest than the general populace. Maybe it's the 'crag swag' attitude that seems quite prevelant amongst some of us.
In reply to Ade Clifford:

Today at Mousthwaite Combe Blencathra behind the White Horse a small white BMW drove up and drove away about 2.45pm, despite there being a vacant parking place. This may have been entirely innocent but there have been many smash n'grabs on cars at that place.
DC
 Wesley Orvis 14 Jul 2014

Would love to have the time and patience to sit in a tree next weekend and catch the arseholes in action!!!!
OP Ade Clifford 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Someone actually passed on the registration of a similar van later that same day-more than likely just an innocent coincidence I guess though
 cander 14 Jul 2014

Interestingly - we live in a rural part of north Cumbria and everyone I know makes a note of car and van reg numbers if they don't recognise them. I'm also quite happy to pull up behind vans and get out and ask if they're lost and need directions - all very polite - but they know they've been clocked and move along. I know it's difficult in Borrowdale now we know there's undesireables around doesnt hurt to take note.

Sadly there's plenty of transient undesirables in Keswick who aren't averse to to some petty larceny - Mrs C used to police it on occassion - not really serious offences but irritating as hell for the victims.
 gd303uk 14 Jul 2014
In reply to cander:
A little off topic but what you say made me think of an incident when I was arrested for suspicion of suspected burglary on a trip to the lakes; funny-ish story, and I spent the night in a cell with a local undesirable.
It's good to be vigilant but sometimes the "you're not from round here" attitude is a little unfriendly.

I am not having ago BTW, I do a bit of curtain twitching myself.
Post edited at 13:18
 cander 14 Jul 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

It's not a "you're not from round here attitude" It's profiling if it's anything - if you're in a new volvo estate with the family, no one will look twice, if however you're in a battered old white van with no logo and look like an undesirable - I'll be asking if your lost.
We have a Christian centre just up the road - unsurprisingly few of those attending would be mistaken for a dodgy characters - it's using common sense.
Our main concerns are quad bike and red Deisel thefts, wildlife offences (badger baiting is a significant problem), hunting with dogs (lurchers after deer) and livestock thefts.

As an aside if you were "arrested" then the arresting officer would have to have grounds for the arrest ... so what were you up to that brought you to the attention of the police?
Removed User 14 Jul 2014
In reply to cander:

You can be detained for up to 8 hours (though it's normally overnight if you're arrested in the evening) on suspicion of pretty much anything the bobby doesn't like.
 duchessofmalfi 14 Jul 2014
In reply to cander:

Please wear a red carnation when profiling so I can politely tell you to get stuffed next time you ask me if I'm lost!

This is a climbing forum - I think you find tatty vans correlate with "climbers" more often than "scrotes" in this context.
 Wesley Orvis 14 Jul 2014
In reply to cander:

I hang round in the Lakes most days in a tatty white van as do a few I climb/walk with and we wouldn't steal anything, in fact would go out of our way to either prevent a theft from happening or to get someones lost items back to them.

Although I did meet a guy at Elgol a few weeks ago who was also in a tatty white van from Halifax who confessed to stealing two ropes, two harnesses and a full rack from under a crag in Yorkshire and was selling them. So there maybe something in it, got his number if anyone lost these items in that area recently.
 Dave Garnett 14 Jul 2014
In reply to duchessofmalfi:
That's just common sense as well though, isn't it? What's wrong with someone opening a friendly conversation and clocking you as climbers, as opposed to having a van full of sacks and spades, or rubber tubing and a plastic drum full of diesel?
Post edited at 14:15
 cander 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Removed User:

The police officer needs grounds to arrest you - if you're walking up the street and completely minding your own business - you cannot be arrested, and there are other officers who will challenge the arrest if there are no grounds (usually the custody sargeant).
 cander 14 Jul 2014

Thats fine - but I can tell the difference between climbers and sh$t bags - we spent many weekends in a tranny van so it's easy to spot the difference - I think you'll find you're being pointlessly obtuse and arguementative (and yes I was waiting for a plonker to say exactly what you said).
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Nothing wrong with friendly conversation but "profiling" is not friendly and it is not conversation.

I find it downright unfriendly - that's why I'm asking for wannabe border patrol types who are motivated by "keeping and eye on me on account that I'm not driving a volvo" to wear a red carnation so I can tell them where to stick it.

You'll find I respond to a genuine friendly conversation amicably but and prone to getting angry when some arsehole pops up to check my bags for stolen viedo recorders while masquerading as "friendly".
 cander 14 Jul 2014

So who mentioned checking your bags - pathetic ... the Border patrol you're gobbing off about is actually a well known organisation - no secret ..... neighbourhood watch (or in our case farm watch).
Ste Brom 14 Jul 2014

.......And back to your topic, bad news that.
There's a lot to be said for climbing with dogs and non-climbers happy to sit at the bottom. Or one of those rocker alarms?
Sad its coming to that.
In reply to cander:

It's nice that you can tell the difference between the genuine good folks of Great Britain and those other undesirable jobbies, why not write to Teresa May and offer your amateur phrenology skills for the greater good? Because I for one would welcome you usefully employed feeling bumps rather than wandering around self importantly and sanctimoniously vetting the rest of us.

Give yourself a pat on the back and remember the red carnation.
moffatross 14 Jul 2014
In reply to cander:

> spent many weekends in a tranny van <

I love a road trip. Was that van like a compact version of the bus, Priscilla ?
 cander 14 Jul 2014
In reply to moffatross:

Are you worried by transgender people? do find them amusing?, we had a great mate in Keswick - Welsh steph - used to wear dresses - I suppose you'd have sat in the corner of the pub giggling at him.
 Dave Garnett 14 Jul 2014
> (In reply to Dave Garnett)
>
> Nothing wrong with friendly conversation but "profiling" is not friendly and it is not conversation.
>

Maybe you don't live in a rural location but round here people tend to take an active interest if someone they don't know stops. It usually takes about 3 seconds to spot someone with some obviously legitimate reason to be here and a fair proportion of the remainder are genuinely lost or have a problem with their car and appreciate some help.

That leaves the occasional dodgy character whose number is worth making a quick note of. Just in case something goes missing over the next few days.

moffatross 14 Jul 2014
In reply to cander:

Worried, no, I love variety and pretty dresses too.
 cander 14 Jul 2014
In reply to moffatross:

If you haven't got anything more to add .... there's your stone - under you get.
moffatross 14 Jul 2014
In reply to cander:

>I think you'll find you're being pointlessly obtuse and arguementative<

How ironic.

cander 14 Jul 2014
In reply to moffatross:

You are my wife and I claim my £5 ......

She always wants the last word too
 Firestarter 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

http://www.trail-camera.co.uk/Trail-Camera.htm

Let one of these sit in a tree for you, go climbing, then give the SD card to the police if it happens to catch the thieving scumbags. Win win!
moffatross 14 Jul 2014
In reply to cander:

> She always wants the last word too<

I so very nearly let you have it.

Priscilla is a film that raises my spirits when I'm feeling low and if I have ice cold vodka in the freezer and fresh OJ (with bits) in the fridge. A close friend (now deceased) who was a passionate cross-dresser loved that film too.

Removed User 14 Jul 2014
In reply to cander:

That's the way it's *supposed* to be, but you can be held for suspicion of any number of crimes. I was stopped and then detained for walking alongside a railway late one evening - on the road adjacent to the railway, in the middle of town - because I had a backpack with me and apparently kids had been tagging the cars. Apparently there was reasonable cause to suspect that I was up to no good.
 Timmd 14 Jul 2014
> That's the way it's *supposed* to be, but you can be held for suspicion of any number of crimes. I was stopped and then detained for walking alongside a railway late one evening - on the road adjacent to the railway, in the middle of town - because I had a backpack with me and apparently kids had been tagging the cars. Apparently there was reasonable cause to suspect that I was up to no good.

Yeah, it's not always how it's supposed to be. On the other hand a 'random looking' male friend was taking a female friend's clothes home from a festival, and was stopped by the police who wondered why he had bras and knickers and things in his bag, and they let him go after he told them to arrest him if they didn't believe he wasn't up to something sinister.
Post edited at 17:15
 ewar woowar 14 Jul 2014
In reply to cander:

> The police officer needs grounds to arrest you - if you're walking up the street and completely minding your own business - you cannot be arrested, and there are other officers who will challenge the arrest if there are no grounds (usually the custody sargeant).

What if you are treading on the cracks in the pavement, or wearing a loud shirt in a built-up area?
 off-duty 14 Jul 2014

> That's the way it's *supposed* to be, but you can be held for suspicion of any number of crimes. I was stopped and then detained for walking alongside a railway late one evening - on the road adjacent to the railway, in the middle of town - because I had a backpack with me and apparently kids had been tagging the cars. Apparently there was reasonable cause to suspect that I was up to no good.

Detained? You were arrested?
 gd303uk 14 Jul 2014
In reply to off-duty:
detained ? Arrested?

I was, even though nothing was burgled or stolen no one reported anything stolen, I had no paraphernalia? to help me do any of this or stolen property found in my possession.
even went to court; that was a nice day out, I felt sorry for the police they looked kind of silly on the day.
I was found not guilty of the charges, you might say there obviously was not enough evidence, the police and prosecuting team weren't good enough at proving the case etc etc, but it will do for me.
"sus laws" can lead to the arrest of innocent people.
Post edited at 23:06
 off-duty 14 Jul 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

> detained ? Arrested?

> I was, even though nothing was burgled or stolen no one reported anything stolen, I had no paraphernalia? to help me do any of this or stolen property found in my possession.

> even went to court; that was a nice day out, I felt sorry for the police they looked kind of silly on the day.

> It was thrown out of court , you might say that is no admission of innocence, saying there obviously was not enough evidence, the police and prosecuting team weren't good enough at proving the case etc etc, but it will do for me.

> "sus laws" can lead to the arrest of innocent people.

Was this recent? CPS have to make a decision to charge nowadays, and on your account of events there is literally nothing to charge you with. There isn't a crime of "suspicion of suspected burglary", what were you charged with?
 gd303uk 14 Jul 2014
In reply to off-duty:
Hi Off Duty,
this happened in the late eighties, lake district. I remember a disgruntled suited officer coming into the cell at one point having a nice chat( he may have been trying to determine what was going on) and not being too happy with the arresting team. but it still went to a magistrates court. I am sure the charge was suspicion of attempted burglary, even resulted in a search of my house.
Post edited at 23:16
 Blue Straggler 14 Jul 2014
In reply to ewar woowar:

> What if you are treading on the cracks in the pavement, or wearing a loud shirt in a built-up area?

With an offensive wife?
 off-duty 14 Jul 2014
In reply to gd303uk:

> Hi Off Duty,

> this happened in the late eighties, lake district. I remember a disgruntled suited officer coming into the cell at one point having a nice chat( he may have been trying to determine what was going on) and not being too happy with the arresting team. but it still went to a magistrates court. I am sure the charge was suspicion of attempted burglary, even resulted in a search of my house.

That would have been a police decision to charge then. The house search would be fairly standard after a burglary arrest. All sounds very odd - unless something you did or said or had possession of at the scene of your arrest was misinterpreted.
I hope you had a brief - judging by your profile you can't have been very old.
 Babika 14 Jul 2014

Back to the topic....

Thanks for the tip off. I've never had anything nicked yet from my sac but have had climbing gear pinched twice from Alpine huts - Hohaas Hutte and the Gnifetti, crampons, ice screws, slings and a head torch. In a way that's worse as it actually stops your activity in its tracks before you can get back to the valley.

Firestarter 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Babika:

Nothing worse than having your sac knicked - I recommend a good aftershave moisturiser (such as Nivea) just in case you do it again. Either that or don't shave your nads.
OP Ade Clifford 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Babika:

That is truly awful.I read last night that a Mont Blanc climb came to an end recently as a chaps boots were pinched at one of the high huts ! He was helicoptered off apparently.
 Babika 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Firestarter:

I don't have any nads!
 Firestarter 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Babika:

Then I guess you'll be ok!
 digby 15 Jul 2014
In reply to Wesley Orvis:

> Although I did meet a guy at Elgol a few weeks ago who was also in a tatty white van from Halifax who confessed to stealing two ropes, two harnesses and a full rack from under a crag in Yorkshire and was selling them. So there maybe something in it, got his number if anyone lost these items in that area recently.

And you didn't report it?! You are the closest anyone appears to have been to actually coming across one of these thieving gits and you didn't report it??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...