UKC

Running pack for tall people

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sticks 11 Jul 2014
Hi, I am trying to get a modern lightweight trail running pack that is suitable for a six foot four bloke. Having tried on many styles and brands I am yet to find one with a waiste belt below my ribs. Vests are the same. I am only planning to have a water bladder, windproof, jells and bars, so the capacity need only be small.

Anyone with any ideas? Thanks.
Ferret 11 Jul 2014
In reply to sticks:

Prob too much capacity but I have an Innov8 race pro 18 litre. I'm 5'6" and I'm actually giving up on it as I can't get the fit right. I thought it was OK but I can't make it fit my small frame. What you might not be aware of (depends how carefully you look/are shown) is that some packs, this one included have an adjustment hidden away that allows the top attachment of the straps to move independent of the pack/waist belt.

So I have mine with that adjuster (its in a zipped hidden pocket at top, inside) in tightest setting and the normal arm straps at tightest. On me that means hip belt is roughly in right place. As there's a lot of adjustment on that hidden thingy (several inches) you could have the back length a lot longer than I do and therefore have the waist belt where you want it. Chest strap is floating so you can move that to correct sort of area too.

Theres a smaller capity version I think too which may be similar.
Dorq 11 Jul 2014
In reply to sticks:

Maybe list what you have already tried on. The OMM teardrop 10 won't fit you, I just checked.
 Smelly Fox 11 Jul 2014
In reply to sticks:

Have you tried the Salomon Agile 12? It sits quite low on me (I'm 6ft).
OP sticks 11 Jul 2014
In reply to sticks:

Thanks all that's really useful. I have tried on all sorts over the past year and not fouund what I wanted and not have forgotten what I have tried and not! Didn't know about the Agile 12 nor the innov8 straps so will look at that. Ta!
 Tall Clare 11 Jul 2014
In reply to sticks:

Mr TC is 6'4 - he has an Osprey Talon 11 for longer runs, which he says is has turned out to be a bit short for him (it's the longer version). Dunno if that's of any assistance.
 petestack 11 Jul 2014
In reply to sticks:

> Having tried on many styles and brands I am yet to find one with a waiste belt below my ribs. Vests are the same.

Why do you need length in a modern, vest-style pack with no waist/hip belt? One of the great things about them is sitting high and not rubbing holes in your lower back.

> I am only planning to have a water bladder, windproof, jells and bars, so the capacity need only be small.

= (IMHO) vest-style pack. Though which probably depends on your build as much as back length (some makes/models only go to pretty moderate chest sizes).
 hamsforlegs 11 Jul 2014
In reply to sticks:

Would back Pete's general point.

I've always got away with tightening the straps down so the pack sits very high, and then having the waistbelt loose so that it just stops the pack from coming over your head if you jump/fall/bend over.

I'm 6-1 and always liked the Inov8 packs - they seemed to scrunch down really small and sit up high on my shoulders without annoying me.

I also had a little Deuter pack for very light outings as you describe, also worn high with a loose belt.

I've never tried a proper vest pack, but they do look like the way forward.
 Paul Atkinson 11 Jul 2014
In reply to sticks:

I'm 6'5" and have 2 packs that fit me brilliantly and have been used on ultras - therefore maybe larger than you want. One is a Go Lite Rush in the large size and the other is a Salomon S lab 12 in the newer large size. The S Lab 5 might be worth a look - large should fit if they size them the same

cheers, P
 petestack 11 Jul 2014
In reply to hamsforlegs:

> I've never tried a proper vest pack, but they do look like the way forward.

Just got mine recently, but already done West Highland Way Race and some proper Highland hill runs with it...

http://www.petestack.com/blog/running/ultimate-direction-sj-ultra-vest-2-0....

Worth pointing out that, while my primary motivation was stable front bottle pockets and no belt, the UD vests do take bladders. Have also looked at Salomon... tried a Skin Pro 14 + 3 Set, which has an excellent bladder arrangement with supplied wide-top bladder, but didn't like the bottle pockets (wrong angle for swinging arms), fabrics (mesh etc. feels flimsier) or fastening system (elastic straps with funny little hooks) so much.

Graham 11 Jul 2014
In reply to petestack:

A very tall friend of mine uses a salomon zippered vest/pack for running - seems to fit him well but all of the zippers corroded away from his sweat relatively quickly (within a year, I think).

Down here (NZ) a lot of ultra runners use either Ultimate direction or UltraSpire packs. My girlfriend (the real runner in the family) uses an UltraSpire pack but it is way too short for me. The UD ones seem to fit me better (I'm 6 feet tall). I use a beat-up old MEC pack. But I'm not a real runner.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...