UKC

Hey ho let's go

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 12 Jul 2014
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28275535

Sad day for me. Unlike most of the folk wearing the t shirts these days, I'm a Ramones fan. 2nd gig I went to, Glasgow Apollo 1977.
Gabba gabba hey! Tommy.
In reply to aln:

RIP Tommy.
 Blue Straggler 14 Jul 2014
In reply to aln:

> Unlike most of the folk wearing the t shirts these days, I'm a Ramones fan.

You seem happy to have been given an opportunity to sneer at people who may not have been able to make it to see The Ramones in 1977.
 tony 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I saw the Ramones in 1977, at Leeds Poly, supported by Talking Heads. It was one of the most memorable gigs I've ever been to. One of the striking memories was the size of Tin Weymouth's eyes, and the way she was constantly looking at David Byrne - never took her eyes of him. And I remember David Byrne's intro to Psychokiller "The name of this band is Talking Heads and the name of this song is Psychokiller."

And then the Ramones were just different to anything I'd ever seen before.
 Offwidth 14 Jul 2014

I think he maybe means those people who wear 'street cool' t shirts but don't give a shit really about the music. I've met plenty like that. I can't see a Ramones fan being upset about modern young folk liking the music.
 Captain Solo 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

I've got a Ramones T-shirt but not the classic eagle roundel.
It's the Acid Eaters tour T from 1994, the only time I saw the Ramones.
I think they only played 3 UK dates, Glasgow Barrowlands (which I went to), Newcastle Mayfair and Brixton Academy.
Obviously not Tommy on drums (Marky 2nd time around) and CJ on bass but I remember thinking at the time this was a bit special.
There's no doubting their contribution to early punk music and they stuck to their roots thoughout their entire recording career.
 Blue Straggler 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Offwidth:

I know, I know. It just seemed a bit off-colour to use this OP as an opportunity to sound off about it
Lusk 14 Jul 2014
In reply to tony:

> I saw the Ramones in 1977, at Leeds Poly, supported by Talking Heads.

So was I, epic night!
OP aln 14 Jul 2014

> I know, I know. It just seemed a bit off-colour to use this OP as an opportunity to sound off about it

Oh FFS. Seems equally off-colour to use the thread to have a go at me. Especially as you go on to say you knew that's not what I really meant. Anyway, you get indignant about that if you like while I have a wee drink, and listen to the Ramones with a tear in my eye while reminiscing with friends about the glory days spent fighting the punk rock wars.
Removed User 14 Jul 2014
In reply to aln:

> Sad day for me. Unlike most of the folk wearing the t shirts these days, I'm a Ramones fan. 2nd gig I went to, Glasgow Apollo 1977.

RIP indeed. The Apollo was an awesome venue but I only ever saw them in the Barrowlands and the Edinburgh Playhouse. One the best live bands ever.

Lusk 14 Jul 2014
In reply to aln:

In classic punk style, you should have just told him to "F*ck off, I don't care!"
 Offwidth 14 Jul 2014
In reply to toad:

Genius

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...