UKC

Scotland Wet Weather Venues!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UncleMephisto 12 Jul 2014
Have booked some time off at the end of July to go see a mate in Scotland and get some climbing in. Whilst I know the sun always shines up north, does anyone have any suggestions for quick drying venues, or those that get good weather when the mountains are getting hammered? Am coming from North Wales to Aviemore, so don't mind adding a few hundred extra miles onto those that I'll already be doing!
 Skol 12 Jul 2014
In reply to UncleMephisto:

You're living in a dream world laddie.
 BnB 12 Jul 2014

Ardheslaig near Torridon can be climbed in the wet on stupendous friction rock. And if the sun is shining you'll be amongst wondrous crags at Diabaig and on the hills.

For sunshine head to Raasay, especially east coast for some spectacular cliffs. It lies in the lee of Skye and the Cuillin and enjoys a climate many times superior.

Can't speak for the east of Scotland however...
 Joak 12 Jul 2014
In reply to BnB:

>

> Can't speak for the east of Scotland however...

Very quiet, dry and pleasant for the 0800 low tide at the Hawkcraig on the Fife coast this morning. A drizzly window wiper departure as I left my house 25 miles further west.
 Fiend 12 Jul 2014

If it's wet in the mountains, head to the coastal fringes (including Islands).

If it's wet in the West, head East (Cairngorms, Aberdeen, Moray or Caithness coasts).

If it's midgey, head to somewhere that will get the breeze.

Those are the three most common problems and the simplest solutions. Just keep checking the weather across the breadth of Scotland and be prepared to travel to wherever suits the current weather.
 Andy Nisbet 13 Jul 2014

Loads of choices round Aviemore. It doesn't rain that much here, and it's been a dry spring/early summer. Huntly's Cave and Cummingston are the options for the worst weather.
 Michael Gordon 13 Jul 2014

Creag Dubh dries quickly in general, as does much of the Cairngorms to be honest provided you pick the right routes/crags.
 Rick Sewards 13 Jul 2014

I have a dim and very distant memory (about 25 years!) of doing Coffin Corner, and attempting Corpse, at Upper Cave Crag, Craig a Barns in the pouring rain, while the rock stayed absolutely dry thanks to overhanging rock and tree cover. Can any Scots confirm whether this is in fact possible, or is my memory playing tricks?

Rick
 Fiend 13 Jul 2014
In reply to Rick Sewards:

It would be possible if it was a Northerly wind blowing over the crag. A lot of Upper Cave Crag is steep enough to stay dry in light showers, but the top-outs of most trad routes would be......sub-optimal in heavy rain, the pines don't quite cover the edge enough and the final crack of Corpse would be tricky!
OP UncleMephisto 13 Jul 2014

Great replies folks, exactly the sort of advice I was looking for, much appreciated. Grew up in Scotland but never really got going with outdoor climbing until I moved to Dumfries then Wales shortly after, so am mega psyched to get out and explore my very favourite part of Britain on the end of a rope.
 petestack 13 Jul 2014

> does anyone have any suggestions for quick drying venues, or those that get good weather when the mountains are getting hammered?

> so don't mind adding a few hundred extra miles onto those that I'll already be doing!

Ardnamurchan!

Webster 13 Jul 2014

TCA/Ratho/Ice factor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...