UKC

Secret(ish) camping spot near Pen-y-fan?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tony the Blade 14 Jul 2014

Good afternoon,

I'm trying to relocate a semi-wild spot I used to use about 10 years ago. It was a farmers field at the Northern foot of Pen-y-Fan near the car park, somewhere in the region of GR SO024247

It had a stream running along one side and a few trees adjacent to the stream (perfect for my hammock). There are no facilities and the farmer used to turn up in the morning to take a quid off you.

2 questions:
1) Where exactly is it?
2) Is it still useable to the public?

Many thanks, Tony
 mattrm 14 Jul 2014
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Sounds like it's the one on the path up to Cwm Llwch farm. I'm pretty sure it's still there and people still use it, but I've not been up there this year so I'm not 100%.

I'm fairly sure it's this place:

http://richardmatthewsadventures.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/modrydd-campsite.ht...
In reply to mattrm:

That's the one. Thank you very much for taking the time to find a link, and to reply.

Good on ya
 Welsh Kate 14 Jul 2014

Yes, it is the Cwm Llwch one, you go to the end of the minor road and then through the gate. People do still use it, the farmer's pretty relaxed about it and people build camp fires there. It's a good half-way house between campsite and wildcamping.
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Exactly as I remember it - having also just looked on Google maps I see it's the exact spot I was thinking of.

I like the solitude, in my bivvy bag/hammock combo, next to a fire on the river bed
 Mal Grey 14 Jul 2014

Yep, definitely still used, and lovely to see it hadn't changed in 20 years when I walked past a couple of months ago.

I find it amazing, and wonderful, how quiet this approach to Pen Y Fan remains compared with the "tourist route".
 UKC Forums 15 Jul 2014
This thread was started in the ROCK DESTINATIONS forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

HILLTALK
A general forum for topics relating to hillwalking. Discuss walks you have been on, great scrambles, the best ridges, Munro-bagging and longer multi-day walks.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
In reply to UKC Forums:

Really?
 mattrm 16 Jul 2014

> That's the one. Thank you very much for taking the time to find a link, and to reply.

> Good on ya

No worries. Hope you have a nice time.

Thanks for selling that for me, I'll be there tomorrow night for stunning 11 mile run

So a couple more questions:
1) is there a half decent pub within walking distance?
2) is there a butcher locally (Brecon?) That will all fresh game, ideally rabbit?

Many thanks, Tony
 mattrm 17 Jul 2014

> Thanks for selling that for me, I'll be there tomorrow night for stunning 11 mile run

> So a couple more questions:

> 1) is there a half decent pub within walking distance?

There aren't any half decent pubs in Brecon full stop. The Drovers is at the bottom of the road that you turn up to get to the campsite. It's ok, I guess it's just about half decent. I wouldn't bother walking any further into Brecon looking for a better pub, you won't find one.

> 2) is there a butcher locally (Brecon?) That will all fresh game, ideally rabbit?

Yup the butcher in the middle of town or the one on the indoor market will both have rabbit, I'm fairly sure. They're both pretty decent.
 Dom Whillans 18 Jul 2014

RE: the butcher... Paddy Sweeney is your man there; he's been my family's butcher for over 30 years, i know he's sold loads of game in the past and he's on 01874 623 428. He's the one in the indoor market by the way.

I'd pick up some bottles of local brews on your way to the campsite if i was you... I've not felt the need to go for a pint in Brecon since the late 90s, and it's my home town! The Markets Tavern is about the closest thing to a half decent pub, but it's not really walking distance from Cwm Llwch.
 mattrm 18 Jul 2014
In reply to Dom Whillans:

> RE: the butcher... Paddy Sweeney is your man there; he's been my family's butcher for over 30 years, i know he's sold loads of game in the past and he's on 01874 623 428. He's the one in the indoor market by the way.

Paddy Sweeny, that was on the tip of my tongue. Seen his van around town loads of times.

> I'd pick up some bottles of local brews on your way to the campsite if i was you... I've not felt the need to go for a pint in Brecon since the late 90s, and it's my home town! The Markets Tavern is about the closest thing to a half decent pub, but it's not really walking distance from Cwm Llwch.

Definitely the way to go. If you can swing by Otley Brewery on the way up they are probably the best in South Wales.

http://www.otleybrewing.co.uk/

Or Brecon Brewing - http://www.breconbrewing.co.uk/stockists/ - they're open 9-5, M-F. They're on the industrial estate as you come in along the A470 from Merthyr.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...